Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 01:34 AM

141 posts, read 90,413 times

Advertisements

I lived in Tucson for 5 years and I was struck by how scared they are of becoming Phoenix. It's like people don't recognize there is a happy medium.

The lack of an East/West Freeway or Expressway (no, Speedway does not count) is absurd. And they spent all that money on a streetcar that connects U of A to Downtown but does nothing for 99% of the city. Why not build a light rail system the way Phoenix did that actually gets people around the city? People there are so hostile to any kind of transportation or infrastructure project. It really hurts the economy and quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 05:09 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,471,533 times
That is the million dollar question. The anti-growth attitude was quaint back in the 80's when only half a million people lived here. Now we are a metro area of over a million residents.

When initially built in the late 80's, the Sunrise/Ina corridor was hoped to be another freeway, but the NIMBY's wouldn't allow it. So instead they half heartedly built a divided road and attempted to time the lights to move traffic to I-10 a bit faster. Now, almost 35 years later those same streets are basically the only way to get to Phoenix if you live in central or east Tucson.

Had to make a work trip out to the warehouses being built by Amazon and other logistics companies out on Kolb yesterday. It should be embarrassing to Pima County that they haven't built three lanes of freeway all the way out to State Route 83. The growth is coming and we should be prepared. The two lanes of traffic from downtown to the eastside were gridlocked in both directions by 3:30 PM.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:59 AM

810 posts, read 870,015 times
Not a resident yet but have driven there. The Broadway widening improvement project sounded promising until I looked at a map and saw it's a relatively small length of road. It's being widened to three lanes from Euclid to Country Club.

Broadway Improvement Project : Tucson, Arizona

Old 01-05-2022, 09:53 AM

141 posts, read 90,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
That is the million dollar question. The anti-growth attitude was quaint back in the 80's when only half a million people lived here. Now we are a metro area of over a million residents.

When initially built in the late 80's, the Sunrise/Ina corridor was hoped to be another freeway, but the NIMBY's wouldn't allow it. So instead they half heartedly built a divided road and attempted to time the lights to move traffic to I-10 a bit faster. Now, almost 35 years later those same streets are basically the only way to get to Phoenix if you live in central or east Tucson.

Had to make a work trip out to the warehouses being built by Amazon and other logistics companies out on Kolb yesterday. It should be embarrassing to Pima County that they haven't built three lanes of freeway all the way out to State Route 83. The growth is coming and we should be prepared. The two lanes of traffic from downtown to the eastside were gridlocked in both directions by 3:30 PM.
Exactly. I get that people want to keep it quaint and that that is part of Tucson's charm, but you have to start thinking about how you're going to meet the needs of the growing population. Do people in Tucson care so much about "not becoming Phoenix" that they're going to refuse what is needed for a functional city that can meet the demands of growth? I used to know a couple of people who worked for the Tucson DOT - they were smart people who knew what needed to be done and what investments needed to be made, but they basically said that with the lack of public support and all the NIMBYs it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:29 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I agree, not great traffic design here.

But...any time you improve traffic flow to an area, more people move there. The increased capacity is quickly overwhelmed. For instance, they widened I-80 between San Francisco and Sacramento; the farmland between the two is filing with houses, and traffic is getting worse. Solution? Widen the road again.

A real solution would be to decentralize business, so everybody isn't trying to get to the same place at the same time.

Last edited by steiconi; 01-05-2022 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-05-2022, 12:31 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,444 times
Over the years Davis-Monthan AFB has been threatened since it's pretty much been swallowed up by the city. There's been some unfortunate accidents in the past:

https://tucson.com/1978-jet-crashes-...055e2ec81.html

Old 01-05-2022, 01:34 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
And recently it was discovered that toxic firefighting chemicals from the AFB have leeched into the soil and are threatening Tucson's groundwater.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:37 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
Exactly. I get that people want to keep it quaint and that that is part of Tucson's charm, but you have to start thinking about how you're going to meet the needs of the growing population. Do people in Tucson care so much about "not becoming Phoenix" that they're going to refuse what is needed for a functional city that can meet the demands of growth? I used to know a couple of people who worked for the Tucson DOT - they were smart people who knew what needed to be done and what investments needed to be made, but they basically said that with the lack of public support and all the NIMBYs it's not going to happen anytime soon.
The central city looks like it's frozen in 1978 - but when the city "fixes" something, it's worse than before (the "fix" of E. Grant, for example... can't wait to see how they destroy Broadway with all their "fixes".

Old 01-05-2022, 08:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
The central city looks like it's frozen in 1978 - but when the city "fixes" something, it's worse than before (the "fix" of E. Grant, for example... can't wait to see how they destroy Broadway with all their "fixes".
That is the truth.

Around the university, they created all kinds of pseudo- roundabouts. However, the asphalt is in such bad shape that it is little better than a gravel road. And there was "no money" to actually landscape the middle of the roundabouts. Most are so overgrown that you can't even see a pedestrian. I haven't seen streets this bad since leaving the City of Detroit.

And the trolley runs on its very limited route ... and even when they were collecting fares, very few of the students were stopping at the fare box to scan their cards.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:01 AM

23,210 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
I lived in Tucson for 5 years and I was struck by how scared they are of becoming Phoenix. It's like people don't recognize there is a happy medium.

The lack of an East/West Freeway or Expressway (no, Speedway does not count) is absurd. And they spent all that money on a streetcar that connects U of A to Downtown but does nothing for 99% of the city. Why not build a light rail system the way Phoenix did that actually gets people around the city? People there are so hostile to any kind of transportation or infrastructure project. It really hurts the economy and quality of life.
Any time a rail line is built, no matter what length, it stimulates construction, lots of apartment construction from the U of A to Menlo Park, haven't you noticed? It doesn't seem to happen along bus routes, for whatever reason.

The fact that there isn't an East-West Freeway is a big asset to Tucson, it deters many from moving here, and if any city runs out of water first, it will be Phoenix rather than Tucson.

I say let Phoenix grow and grow and grow, and eventually, I'm dreaming, there'll be a high speed rail line between Tucson and Phoenix, and Phoenix can utilize Tucson as a suburb. if the train travels at 300 miles an hour, the trip would only be 30+ minutes.

Any President that speaks out against military spending would never get re-elected, Bernie Sanders deems it political suicide, the biggest unaudited swamp in DC, and part of that swamp are unnecessary military bases that should be shut down, like Monathan. But we all know the reaction: it would impact the economy of Tucson, forgetting that it would also be a great relief to taxpayers.

Las Vegas has Nellis and Creech, and there's Edwards Air Force Base, isn't that enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson