Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:34 PM

207 posts, read 548,859 times

Advertisements

"...I hope the answers are what I want to hear!"

Any answer should be what you want to know... not only those you want to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 03:22 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
When we were there we didn't see any crine or hear anything at night. At least nothing different than we see and hear here in the western Chicago suburbs. We didn't feel like it wasn't safe at night either.

We were in Tucson to check it out so we were out from the early morning to late night. Granted, we didn't go to South Tucson at all so I can't say anything about there.

The thing about reporting data and stitistics is that you usually don't have anything to compare it to. Because of this it can be decieving. The media does this all the time. Whether they do it on purpose or without any thought it is still poor reporting IMO. Here, we live in a very safe suburb but if you read the neighborhood paper and didn't know any better you would thing it is overrun with burgularies and drug addicts. Because for the most part that is all they print in the police report section. There is nothing about all of the other crimes or how to compares to anything.
I agree that the media leans heavily towards the sensational when it comes to what they believe should be called "news". They need a wake-up call coming from we the listeners, and they should be told that most of their "news" just ain't newsworthy! They seriously need to be challenged in the way they report this community's events. It shouldn't always have to start out murder-murder-murder-robbery-assault-sex offender... or, murder-assault-rape-robbery!

Whatever happened to constructive reporting, or human interest stories like community heros, or uplifting neighborhood happenings... or, warm, fuzzy puppies, unicorns and lollipops?

Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 PM

522 posts, read 1,569,119 times
Quote:
Whatever happened to constructive reporting, or human interest stories like community heros, or uplifting neighborhood happenings... or, warm, fuzzy puppies, unicorns and lollipops?
I think it's because so many people want to read and watch disaster, mayham and destruction. Why are there are gapers blocks on highways? Because everyone wants to see the damage and if anyone is hurt! This stuff sells on all fronts. Why don't you read about the actors/actresses in Hollywood that have good marriages or donate time or really help when there is a disaster somewhere? They print about divorce, fights, murder, disaster because that's what sells. People in general like to see and hear about it.

I think that if they want to print stuff like this they should go after the corrupt politicians, the CEO's that run companies into the ground and bankrupt and still come out with millions. This would show everyone what the world is really like.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
I live in Oro Valley about a mile from the Rooney Ranch Shopping Center that has a Sports Authority, Home Depot, Fry's grocery, Target, Petsmart, Ross, Carl's Jr., Burger King, Starbucks, Shell gas station, and tons of other stores. Plus, about 2 miles north of us is the Oro Valley Market Place with an Olive Garden, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, DSW, Famous Footwear, large cineplex, soon to be Red Lobster and other shops. It's brand new, just opened in October. Also, there's a Safeway a couple of miles away, Northwest Medical Center (hospital), Urgent Care, library and Post Office. It's safe and beautiful and with all it offers, basically no reason to go to Tucson. Also, about a mile south of me is the Hilton El Conquistador Resort and Spa, Holiday Inn Express, Oro Valley Country Club and there's always hiking in Catalina State Park. We absolutely love Oro Valley. No worries here.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:35 AM

68 posts, read 210,154 times
OMFG. Tucson is safe. Even South Tucson is safe. I live in Sahuarita and I do all my shopping and dining in South Tucson. Have you idiots never been to an actual city?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
I live in central Tucson and a siren just went by.....goddamit, that was the last straw and I'll be headed up to Oro Valley tomorrow first thing...that new Oro Valley Marketplace is SOOOOO cool....they have all the names of stores I'm familiar with so it'll be very comfortable up there and I won't feel disoriented.....

but how will I know when I've left Tucson and entered Oro Valley????

Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 AM

56 posts, read 161,810 times
Holy moly. If you're afraid to go to south Tucson, you have issues. If you stay on the main streets of Tucson, you are fine. I was always in south Tucson visiting the local gambling establishments. Not once did I "venture" into individual neighborhoods, except to visit friends.

When you venture into individual neighborhoods, you will be watched. It goes for the "ghetto" as much as it does for "the 'burbs." People want to know who's creeping around when they aren't supposed to be there. So, if you are a "scaredy cat," stay on Ajo, Valencia, I-19, Old Nogales Highway, Irvington, Tucson Blvd, etc.

One more thing, if you are a normal law abiding citizen, chances are you will be left alone. That's not to say someone isn't going to bother you. I hate being bothered by a "hoodrat" as much as I hate being treated rudely by the rich teeny bopper with a dog in her purse at ColdStone Creamery.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 AM

14 posts, read 35,189 times
The police cars will be different!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:46 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeser View Post
Holy moly. If you're afraid to go to south Tucson, you have issues. If you stay on the main streets of Tucson, you are fine. I was always in south Tucson visiting the local gambling establishments. Not once did I "venture" into individual neighborhoods, except to visit friends.

When you venture into individual neighborhoods, you will be watched. It goes for the "ghetto" as much as it does for "the 'burbs." People want to know who's creeping around when they aren't supposed to be there. So, if you are a "scaredy cat," stay on Ajo, Valencia, I-19, Old Nogales Highway, Irvington, Tucson Blvd, etc.

One more thing, if you are a normal law abiding citizen, chances are you will be left alone. That's not to say someone isn't going to bother you. I hate being bothered by a "hoodrat" as much as I hate being treated rudely by the rich teeny bopper with a dog in her purse at ColdStone Creamery.
Good points, Cheese Man. Nothing sez "I love you" like a snarlin' little yapper inside a Gucci hand bag!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:29 PM

83 posts, read 206,463 times
Default Oro Valley

Thank you Marcy for the great review of Oro Valley. That is our intended destination when we finally get there. Our intention is to rent a house in Oro for a while. One question: Is there any particular streets or areas that you might recommend or not recommend living in Oro?

I love all the stores you mentioned, because where I live now is driving me nuts. We only have a Walmart. Yes, that's it. The mtns. are beautiful here, but as we found out too late, we are not rural isolationists. We look forward to going to the symphony, and other classical art pursuits.
Are there any music programs at the elem. schools there? I teach piano/music and would love to find out. Can you help me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson