Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,154 times

Advertisements

I moved to Tucson several years ago from a much lower crime rate city which was, surprise-surprise, very boring, backward-thinking and redneck. The people who live in Tucson are from all over the US and the rest of the world, which creates a great blend of ideas and attitudes. Two years ago, though, I took a job in London, England, and was looking forward to the amazing culture, etc., that I would be able to enjoy. And I have very much enjoyed it, but let me tell you about traffic...the average speed driving through London is 5 miles per hour. That was neither a typo nor an exaggeration. 5 miles per hour. As for crime - I was mugged by three hoodies right outside my own front door. Then my car was stolen. And I've watched helplessly as a neighbour was mugged. I'm looking forward to getting back to quiet, sleepy, beautiful Tucson where, if you use some common sense and take appropriate precautions (don't walk around Grant and Alvernon alone at night, lock your car doors, etc.) you can feel quite safe.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 PM

28 posts, read 104,236 times
I spent some time growing up in Tucson. Walked a mile to school through it. Biked all over it. Drove into the mountains many times. This was very early 90's and the place was great. It must have been the golden years cause I didn't notice much to fear from Gangs. It was too hot for crime OUTSIDE. You could go down and shoot BB guns in a wash.. bike around, whatever. Just a bunch of "Too Stoned" white kids and cool Mexicans is all I remember.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:32 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times
Talking Wow... I'm impressed!

Wow... I'm impressed! This thread is two years old and still going!

I love it! Let's leave it and continue to show how really ridiculous and immature these whiney Tucson negomeisters are.

Get a life, y'all!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 15,996 times
This place sux. If you think Tucson is even remotely nice then "y'all" haven't lived. This is a gross, disgusting town filled with riff-raff. Unfortunately, I'm here for another two year. I have daily contact with the Police on the streets everyday and let's just say they have job security.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:42 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoColoradoASAP View Post
This place sux. If you think Tucson is even remotely nice then "y'all" haven't lived. This is a gross, disgusting town filled with riff-raff. Unfortunately, I'm here for another two year. I have daily contact with the Police on the streets everyday and let's just say they have job security.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:32 AM

522 posts, read 1,569,119 times
Quote:
I have daily contact with the Police on the streets everyday
This statement sounds to me like you are part of the "riff-raff." Who else would have daily contact with the police?
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,897 times
I'm from Arlington Texas, right in between Fort-Worth and Dallas, and I was scouting some potential places to move. All I've been hearing when it comes to crime is graffiti. My 5 year old cousin can tag. It's more a form of art now than a warning. Until I hear about stores getting knocked and random murders, Tucson remains at the top of the list.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 PM

36 posts, read 274,647 times
You will have no more of a problem with crime in Tucson than you will anywhere else. I have been here 38 years and go to every nook and cranny of this town on a daily/weekly basis while working my handyman/masonry business, and I have never once been a victim of any sort of crime. If you go out looking for trouble there are plenty of places to find it, just like anywhere else, we have our good and our bad, but if you mind your own business your chances of being a victim of a crime are the same here in Tucson as they are anywhere else and I dont care what anyone else tells you, that is the truth of the matter, I know this town as well as anyone and will put my knowledge of it up against anyone elses any day. Its a good safe place to raise a family and the weather is great. Come on down and enjoy the Old Pueblo, we would love to have you and you wont meet a friendlier group of people than you will here in Tucson anywhere.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:00 PM

36 posts, read 274,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
Interesting reading.

I can say that I grew up in a Mafia town. We had a many dead guys show up in Cadillac trunks, fires, bommings, and a hit man and his wife gunned down in her diner.

It brings back many memories.

My pops used to work at the Spanish Trail Motel down in South Tucson, which, during the 50s,60s and 70s was THE PLACE to be, Sinatra and the Brat Pack played shows there several times a year and it was a mob hotspot due to the dog tracks being right behind the Motel. Back in the 60s and 70s when the FBI started putting heat on the Mafia in NY, a lot of the big guys came out here to lay low for a while and that is where they stayed, at the Spanish Trail, I remember going to work with my dad and seeing him talk to Joe Bonanno and him always throwing me a few bucks for my pocket to go buy some candy or something, of course I had no idea who the man was and certainly had no clue that he was the most powerful Mafia figure in the nation at the time. After he finally retired has head of the Gambino crime family, he came to Tucson to live permanently and over the years became a figurehead of the Tucson community. He died here several years back. He was just one of many who followed that same path from New York to Tucson over the years.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:15 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemasonry View Post
My pops used to work at the Spanish Trail Motel down in South Tucson, which, during the 50s,60s and 70s was THE PLACE to be, Sinatra and the Brat Pack played shows there several times a year and it was a mob hotspot due to the dog tracks being right behind the Motel. Back in the 60s and 70s when the FBI started putting heat on the Mafia in NY, a lot of the big guys came out here to lay low for a while and that is where they stayed, at the Spanish Trail, I remember going to work with my dad and seeing him talk to Joe Bonanno and him always throwing me a few bucks for my pocket to go buy some candy or something, of course I had no idea who the man was and certainly had no clue that he was the most powerful Mafia figure in the nation at the time. After he finally retired has head of the Gambino crime family, he came to Tucson to live permanently and over the years became a figurehead of the Tucson community. He died here several years back. He was just one of many who followed that same path from New York to Tucson over the years.
So it IS true we live in a mafia town! I'd read about it somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson