Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:38 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,985,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Here's my problem: This is a show about aliens vs humans. The aliens have no powers beyond living longer. So to me, it seems more like a show about one group of boring humans vs another.
Well, I think they are also supposed to have superior intelligence and, in general, are just way more advanced. For example, they can teleport a jetliner through space and time, they effortlessly master things like nuclear technology and our own financial market (Thomas amassed huge fortunes by using some algorithm to predict the stock market or some such hooey), etc. etc.

But yeah, I agree with you that the aliens/sleepers are more like us than NOT like us. Maybe this is a subtle way to inject some political commentary into the mix. I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to think that the aliens/sleepers represent illegal immigrants, nonresident aliens, migrant workers, refugees, etc. etc. and the message is that they are not much different than us and most of them mean no harm or harbor evil intentions.

Or, maybe, on some level, it's commentary on the sustainability of our own planet Earth. The aliens, who are again, just like us, had to leave their planet and come to ours because theirs had become unlivable...I'm assuming this means they used up all the resources on their planet (not surprising considering their ridiculous lifespans). So, maybe the show is also supposed to serve as a mirror, with the aliens representing US and our swiss cheese ozone, global warming, pollution, world debt, wars, ever diminishing supply of finite fossil fuels, animal species going extinct left and right, etc. etc. What happens when we've completely trashed our planet? Will we try to find a home on another planet? Will we try to sneak in, peacefully? Will we invade?

And speaking of political commentary, in the last episode, I could swear that they were making fun of Sarah Palin with the 'Senator Lewis' (Virginia Madsen) character. A perfectly coiffed, photogenic female politico from Alaska, whose qualifications are questionable, wink wink. Plus, all that stuff where President Martinez (Obama, wink wink) reams her out about her state of Alaska having the highest childhood obesity rates and unemployment, and basically tells her to mind her own damn business. Childhood obesity. LOL. I mean, that wasn't even subtle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 PM

4,067 posts, read 5,666,944 times
I also thought of Palin. In the sense of an Alaska politico wanting more power and will stop at nothing to get it. I re-watched most of those two episodes, but the site malfunctioned before the last half of the second one. It struck me that the scenes with the president seemed kind of weak and boring. The rest was good.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 PM

This episode was good...except it's hard to believe the government would be so stupid. Oh, well...then again, they've done some incredibly stupid things before...found this....
Some SPOILERS:
'The Event' promises a death and no flashbacks - Zap2it

Old 03-14-2011, 09:55 PM

9,168 posts, read 5,839,927 times
I'm gettin' a little bored with this show,
but I sure enjoyed the scene in the bar.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 PM

'The Event,' Season 1, Episode 14, 'A Message Back': TV Recap - Speakeasy - WSJ

Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,942,974 times
Well things got blown up last night so that made the show a bit more interesting.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,607,422 times
Anyone still watching? The last few episodes have been real nail-biters!

Old 04-26-2011, 12:06 PM

240 posts, read 581,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Anyone still watching? The last few episodes have been real nail-biters!

Yes.. a lot going on but I love how it's going

Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 PM

Seems like they are throwing a lot of different things in way too fast. I'm not understanding it as well as I did before. And the president being poisoned by VP...like most of the parts centering around the politicians, it got kind of boring. Sofia doing such a complete flip-flop in this show is really not believable. Characters can change, but this just isn't logical!

Last edited by Lee W.; 04-26-2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 AM

150 posts, read 298,670 times
I only watch because it's hilariously bad. It should be called The Event: Contrived. I like bad TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV