Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,971,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Ya know?

I don't understand what Slade doesn't understand. She's made it pretty clear. Although I don't know if his debt would be considered her debt? Once married, would she be responsible for his back debt or only the debt accumulated while married? If Slade keeps accumulating child support debt, while married, maybe Gretchen will be responsible for it also?

I honestly don't care about either one of them, but if Slade had debt from let's say, school loans, would she be marrying him and helping him pay THAT type of debt off?

A lot of my friends (years ago) got married and brought their own debt in to the marriage (pretty much 100% of it being school loans). They worked together to pay it off. It wasn't a "what's mine is mine and you better pay your crap off and until you DO I won't marry you". One of my girlfriends and I were just speaking about this last night. Her husband went to medical school in his late 20's. That's where she met him. She married him despite knowing he was 100K in debt due to the loans he took out and she was debt free.

I'm not sure I buy Gretchen's excuse.
I agree with this. Why can't they just have a prenup and have it state that Gretchen isn't responsible for his back child support nor for his current child support payments. I do wonder if it really boils down to she doesn't want to pay for his child support payments for the rest of her life. I imagine that the comedy gig isn't paying to much. Plus, she wants to have kids and there probably wouldn't be much left after paying for the current CS and back CS and the medical bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,207,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Ya know?

I don't understand what Slade doesn't understand. She's made it pretty clear. Although I don't know if his debt would be considered her debt? Once married, would she be responsible for his back debt or only the debt accumulated while married? If Slade keeps accumulating child support debt, while married, maybe Gretchen will be responsible for it also?

I honestly don't care about either one of them, but if Slade had debt from let's say, school loans, would she be marrying him and helping him pay THAT type of debt off?

A lot of my friends (years ago) got married and brought their own debt in to the marriage (pretty much 100% of it being school loans). They worked together to pay it off. It wasn't a "what's mine is mine and you better pay your crap off and until you DO I won't marry you". One of my girlfriends and I were just speaking about this last night. Her husband went to medical school in his late 20's. That's where she met him. She married him despite knowing he was 100K in debt due to the loans he took out and she was debt free.

I'm not sure I buy Gretchen's excuse.
I think Gretchen loves Slade, but wants to marry a very wealthy man who can buy her the million dollar ring and everything else. I think she wants the old Slade, but like so many of the recently "rich" in SoCal, it's all an illusion that eventually falls apart.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:31 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I agree with this. Why can't they just have a prenup and have it state that Gretchen isn't responsible for his back child support nor for his current child support payments. I do wonder if it really boils down to she doesn't want to pay for his child support payments for the rest of her life. I imagine that the comedy gig isn't paying to much. Plus, she wants to have kids and there probably wouldn't be much left after paying for the current CS and back CS and the medical bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I think Gretchen loves Slade, but wants to marry a very wealthy man who can buy her the million dollar ring and everything else. I think she wants the old Slade, but like so many of the recently "rich" in SoCal, it's all an illusion that eventually falls apart.
Gretchen has stated that she was burned before in her previous marriage because of the former husband's debt issues. I think that the issue is that Slade not only has back child support and other debts but that he can also make new debts that he defaults on which she will be responsible for. Remember, he does not have an income that is not tied to Gretchen so they really are a one income household. I think that Gretchen is also concerned because Slade has become really lazy and somehow I doubt that he will change anytime soon.

I don't see them making it down the aisle but that would also be for the best. Slade has always been a self-absorbed loser, he just had more money to spend because of his title insurance business.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:31 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,971,473 times
Quote:
If she wanted a rich man then she knew Slade wasn't it from the beginning. He hasn't had money since season 2...I think. All the stories about his child support came out in season 3 or was it 4? I really can't remember but I don't think he's ever wined and dined her. I can see if he had it at the start with her then lost it then your comment would ring true.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 AM

10,204 posts, read 11,186,555 times
Well we know she's paying his way. She said it - If it wasn't for her, he'd have nothing... Again, Slade is scum.. Yes, raise a child with him, what does he do for the child he has now? I hope she thinks about that.. What does he do for the child he has now....

Old 06-16-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
If she wanted a rich man then she knew Slade wasn't it from the beginning. He hasn't had money since season 2...I think. All the stories about his child support came out in season 3 or was it 4? I really can't remember but I don't think he's ever wined and dined her. I can see if he had it at the start with her then lost it then your comment would ring true.
I say that because she has known him for many years, so she probably assumed, and I'm certain he told her that he would be wealthy again, and like I said I believe she loves him, she didn't choose him for money, but that doesn't mean she realized he's still be "poor" 2-3 years later. I'm not saying that Gretchen is a gold digger, but I think she has become very caught up in the OC lifestyle to the point where a man needs to be wealthy for her to want to marry him. That's just my opinion.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
Quote:
I say that because she has known him for many years, so she probably assumed, and I'm certain he told her that he would be wealthy again, and like I said I believe she loves him, she didn't choose him for money, but that doesn't mean she realized he's still be "poor" 2-3 years later. I'm not saying that Gretchen is a gold digger, but I think she has become very caught up in the OC lifestyle to the point where a man needs to be wealthy for her to want to marry him. That's just my opinion.
Well, maybe not wealthy...how about just not broke?

Who would want him, period?

Old 06-17-2012, 12:17 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,967,413 times
Quote:
He was never wealthy.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
He was never wealthy.
I actually never said he was, just that he was trying to give that impression, and for awhile, like for many others, especially in SoCal during the boom, it worked. I don't know how much he claimed to be worth, but he spoke of how easy it was to earn his 1st million, so he was certainly trying to give the impression of a man on the rise, and that would have been when he first met Gretchen.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, maybe not wealthy...how about just not broke?

Who would want him, period?
Clearly, she still does, she may not be marrying him, but she's not dumping him either. I assume he's a college graduate (could be wrong though), I'm sure he could get a 40K/yr job, but that wouldn't allow him to pay off his debt and keep her in the lifestyle she sees all around her.

Last edited by detshen; 06-17-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV