Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 03:09 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Two more seasons announced:

BBC News - 'No plans' to end Downton Abbey
In a way this is a shame. It seems DA's people are going to drag the thing out until finally ratings tell them it is time to go; that normally is not how even successful British television series go, leaving aside East Enders....

Am still hurt by Coupling closing up shop so suddenly but that is me for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 04:07 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
Yes, after more and more it will get really old and then oh my, people will realize it is just a TV show...not real life like some people treat it.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Sometimes you want to biff Cora round the head with a cricket bat! *LOL*

Countess of Grantham has precious little to say and often do in much of DA and when she does open her mouth out come the most bizarre things.

Don't think Cora knows the full extent of what Barrow got up to with Jimmy, as for that matter neither does her husband. They know what Bates and Carson told them, that Barrow tried to "kiss" Jimmy, not that he nearly pulled off a shirt lifting.
I think Cora has leaned to 'filter' the things going on around her. One would be any personal hints about servants. She wasn't born to life at the estate and she like the rest sees servants as furnature which serves a purpose. So as long as there is no problem, I think she keeps her mouth shut.

But in this case her grand daughter is being abused by the nanny and Barrows is the one who discovered it and passed it on, and whatever else would matter less than it was stopped because he was watching. Especially given that the baby is all of Sybil they have left. I think Barrows honestly was outraged himself, but also bought a LOT of brownie points to be cashed in later.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:19 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think Cora has leaned to 'filter' the things going on around her. One would be any personal hints about servants. She wasn't born to life at the estate and she like the rest sees servants as furnature which serves a purpose. So as long as there is no problem, I think she keeps her mouth shut.

But in this case her grand daughter is being abused by the nanny and Barrows is the one who discovered it and passed it on, and whatever else would matter less than it was stopped because he was watching. Especially given that the baby is all of Sybil they have left. I think Barrows honestly was outraged himself, but also bought a LOT of brownie points to be cashed in later.
Barrows discovered *nothing*; he and Nanny West didn't get on (because she had the gall to remind the guy he was a servant, and one lower in position to herself at that), so he simply played a hunch and whispered poison in Cora's ear.

Barrows told Cora that he feared nanny West was leaving the children "unattended", that is what set Cora off down that hallway towards the nursery as a detour to her going upstairs (to bed) that night.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times
OH NO. I want DA to last forever and ever. I don't care how mushy or dull it gets. Its my lifeline to the past, where, I believe I lived in a previous life.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:42 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,566 times
Does anyone know if they have this series on Netflix? I have never watched, but I am interested in giving it a try.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Barrows discovered *nothing*; he and Nanny West didn't get on (because she had the gall to remind the guy he was a servant, and one lower in position to herself at that), so he simply played a hunch and whispered poison in Cora's ear.

Barrows told Cora that he feared nanny West was leaving the children "unattended", that is what set Cora off down that hallway towards the nursery as a detour to her going upstairs (to bed) that night.
True, but I'm thinking in terms of her emotional and strategically rational manner. Given the child is her granddaughter, that his suspicion resulted in a word which let her to check, is still a connection, and she broke out of that 'calm and proper' mode instantly when dealing with the nanny. Barrows got benefit of the real relief that nanny was unveiled. Cora always uses that well thought out bland tone, even with big problems and this one she was herself.

Cora is one of the characters who sort of fades most of the time, and it was good to see a glimpse into the real woman underneath. I wonder if she didn't have to act the role of her position, who is inside given her mother and her daughters.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:44 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OH NO. I want DA to last forever and ever. I don't care how mushy or dull it gets. Its my lifeline to the past, where, I believe I lived in a previous life.
Ha! That's so cute

Old 01-10-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
Does anyone know if they have this series on Netflix? I have never watched, but I am interested in giving it a try.
I watched season one there, season two on Hulu. Maybe hulu plus. That was before season three had been broadcast so I assume you can watch the first two seasons on Netflix. You'll probably have to go to hulu for season three.

I remember intending to watch a couple of episodes a night. I ended up watching S1 one day and S2 the next, straight through.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:49 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,757 times
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. He had nothing on the nanny but his animosity was enough to stir Cora's interest and it was pure coincidence that she overheard what she did. He may be nasty and conniving but the nanny was worse. Taking it out on an innocent one year old is unforgivable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV