Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 06:16 PM

32,207 posts, read 27,445,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've probably seen Gosford Park at least a dozen times, and I'm still not entirely sure who all the upstairs people are and how they're related/involved with each other.
It's easy if you sit and watch long enough! *LOL*

William McCordle and Lady Sylvia McCordle
Isobel McCordle (their daughter)
Constance, Countess of Trentham (aunt of Lady Sylvia)

Lady Lavinia and Lady Louisa are the sisters of Lady Sylvia.

It is the old peerage story; Lady Sylvia's family had the name but no money, and Mr. McCordle had the money (he made a fortune during WWI from his factories supplying the war effort) but wanted social position. He married Lady Sylvia and agreed to bankroll her aunt Constance via an yearly allowance and funded much of the rest of his wife's various family members lavish lifestyle that they could not afford.

Gosford Park (2001) - IMDb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 07:27 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,093,823 times
Did anyone else notice how shaky the camera was on most of the shots "downstairs?" It seemed like anytime there was a scene in Carson's office or in the downstairs dining room, the camera was bouncing all over like I was watching an action-adventure movie.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:38 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,857,565 times
I can't believe how skimpy the women dressed back then, they had no heat in the homes , just the coal fires , but you don't see them hugging around the fire places .

Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 AM

6,889 posts, read 7,958,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I noticed that! I kept thinking he was going to pitch everything from the box into the fire!
LOL I thought so too!

Do you think he's lost some weight?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
I can't believe how skimpy the women dressed back then, they had no heat in the homes , just the coal fires , but you don't see them hugging around the fire places .
Fashions of the 1920's for women well at least those that kept up with such things was in large part reflected in rejecting the previous Edwardian era. Coco Channel and other designers shortened skirts, liberated women from corsets, and generally lightened women's clothing. The idea was to be "free" and "liberated" in one's life and fashions. Even long hair went in favour of bobbed.

Yes, those great big barns of family piles were cold and damp given England's climate. Few if any had central heating and coal fires in fireplaces only got you but so far. American heiresses who married into the peerage during the 1920's and 1930's complained in letters back home about literally freezing in their new homes. One told her mother that she stopped going to dinner parties because she couldn't bear exposing herself in the fashions of the day to the chilly indoor temps. She further confided that the only time she took off her furs was to get into bed.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:52 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,329,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
These shows misrepresent the absolute tedium of changing clothes three or four times day. Women needed maids because they spent so much time getting dressed and undressed. We imagine that it would be great fun “dressing for dinner,” but it got old very quickly if you have to do it every day.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 AM

29,807 posts, read 34,655,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
These shows misrepresent the absolute tedium of changing clothes three or four times day. Women needed maids because they spent so much time getting dressed and undressed. We imagine that it would be great fun “dressing for dinner,” but it got old very quickly if you have to do it every day.
Not to mention the downstairs tedium of washing and ironing all the laundry and linens. Very little room for backstabbing and intrigue there, either.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:18 AM

9,158 posts, read 14,851,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
To add a bit about the legality of Mathew's letter and its validity as a will. I was kind of surprised at Lord Grantham's comments that Matthew's letter to Lady Mary that the letter had no worth. American law is largely based on British law and in American law that would be called a "holographic will" (holographic meaning handwriting) and is considered a legal document with 'testamentary intent" as he found out. If there is no formal will typed, witnessed and notarized, a probate court will take a holographic will into serious consideration in lieu of a formally will. The purpose being that the law bends over backwards to fulfill the wishes of the deceased first and foremost.

I can't help wondering if Lord Grantham really knew that but was was trying to keep Mary out of the picture and by not wanting her to know the letter even existed. He did say he did get several opinions as to its validity. Or he was really ignorant of the fact that it was going to be considered as a legal document.

Personally, I was thinking it was more along the lines of showing us that Lord Grantham is not really as smart as he thinks he is and is of course of the old guard. Along the lines of his mismanagement of the estate previously, his hesitance to do anything different to try to help things along and his apparent wish to be able to run it all himself and potentially roll back some of Matthew's reforms. He is a going to run headlong into the coming buzzsaw of cultural change, just as some of the downstairs people are.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:57 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,033 posts, read 6,580,191 times
This is season 4. Is it known how many seasons they are planning??

Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
This is season 4. Is it known how many seasons they are planning??
Season five is a given after that who knows. Main actors were paid quite a lot of money to keep them on for season four. This was in part a reaction to "Matthew" and "Lady Sybil" decamping for the well paying shores of the USA. Creators and so forth of DA have made statements that there is enough material to keep DA going for many, many more seasons. Much will depend one supposes on ratings, though would hate to see the thing dragged out and die a slow death. Better to go on a high note IMHO, but ITV and PBS are making money so... not to mention those horrible Ralph Lauren and Cruise line adverts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV