Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 09:55 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Every time Miss Bunting appears, I hope Lou Grant will show up:

Lou Grant to Mary Richards: You know what, you've got spunk.
Mary Richards: …. well, yes..
Lou Grant: I hate spunk!
Wouldnt' that be great! That might scare her into silence. LOL

Loved Lou Grant. I'd have worked for him in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Talking about people looking bad, I wonder when Shirley McClaines going to come back .
I should look so good when I'm 80.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 11:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
That is an excellent observation about technology in the 1920s and today. It must have been really exciting to be alive in the 1920s, seeing all these wonderful inventions. Sometimes I wonder if people were bored in the old days before radio, cars, TV, smartphones - what did they do for fun? I guess they could read, enjoy hobbies, and I think the family did more things together like play board games and had more conversations. I really consider myself lucky that I am living during this time with all these modern conveniences, technological advances, and also medical leaps. Now, if we can only bring to realization the teleporting booth (Star Trek) then I could have breakfast in Paris, lunch in Rome, and then be back home for dinner
Of course, if you had never had any of those things, even the new ones from the twenties, then you wouldn't miss them and you'd find something to not be bored with. One thing if you were female you'd spend a lot more time doing is housework and laundry. Some of those innovations would be very hard to live with if you knew them.

I think when I was a kid we cooked on the stove and had a refrigeratior. Ironically, our refrigerator lasted over twenty years. I cross my fingers about my three year old one. Once my son complained that his dinner was taking too long. He was waiting for his vegie, one which doesn't do microwaves, and he didn't get at all that Mom and Dad had to wait for the food to cook on the stove. And if a microwave won't do the job today there are a slew of new types of ovens and roasters which work from different methods.

But I still do the vast amount of cooking with a pan on the stove and fresh food being cooked. We add things but don't stop using older methods.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:56 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Well, I got my wish on Shrimpie.

But the horrible Miss Bunting. Just when I thought she couldn't be worse - she was.

Someone put a fork in her, please.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:03 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Default Modern Conveniences

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Of course, if you had never had any of those things, even the new ones from the twenties, then you wouldn't miss them and you'd find something to not be bored with. One thing if you were female you'd spend a lot more time doing is housework and laundry. Some of those innovations would be very hard to live with if you knew them.

I think when I was a kid we cooked on the stove and had a refrigeratior. Ironically, our refrigerator lasted over twenty years. I cross my fingers about my three year old one. Once my son complained that his dinner was taking too long. He was waiting for his vegie, one which doesn't do microwaves, and he didn't get at all that Mom and Dad had to wait for the food to cook on the stove. And if a microwave won't do the job today there are a slew of new types of ovens and roasters which work from different methods.

But I still do the vast amount of cooking with a pan on the stove and fresh food being cooked. We add things but don't stop using older methods.
I can't even imagine washing the laundry by hand - it would take me a whole day (or more)! I do wash delicate fabrics by hand, but more times than none, I just toss them into the washer/dryer and they do very well. Our washer is 20 years old and the dryer is probably older than that I think - they work great, but I think that companies have a built-in obsolescence in their newer products. We bought an oven less than 5 years ago, and it was a piece of junk - great name brand - but it always had problems. I am noticing the newer stuff breaks down faster, and it doesn't help that it is has digital stuff and has those programmable features, which are great, but makes things more complicated.

Kids these days are funny when they hear about the old days. When I say that when I was young, I bought these round plastic disks to play music on these spinning machines, they look at me like I'm a loon. These days they download music from Itunes or whatever onto their Smartphones. When I tried to save money by not buying records, I actually waited for an hour or two till my new favorite song played on the radio, then I taped it with the built-in cassette, of course, I might miss a a few seconds because I had to run over to start the tape Kids these days have it so easy

Old 01-25-2015, 08:04 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,077 times
Writings not getting much better

Old 01-25-2015, 08:05 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
I don't know...... This episode seemed short and unsatisfying. I think there are too many story lines going on and I am losing interest in some of them.

Oh and some of the acting this episode was sub-par..... (IMHO).

It may be politically incorrect, but I am liking Robert's character and view of the world (or at least the world at that time) more and more......

Old 01-25-2015, 08:29 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
I was a little disappointed with this ep -- Edith's "truth" discussion wasn't what we thought it was about, and the blowup at the table was EXACTLY what was predicted, but….

That proposal!!!! Phew! Would that we would all be proposed to like that. Heavens -- what to do!?

Old 01-25-2015, 09:37 PM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,151 times
I wish they would drop the what or who really killed Mr. Green! Who cares! Move on!

I wish Mary would have told Gillingham that he was lousy in bed, that would have taken the wind out of his sails and he would have been so humiliated he would have let her go without an argument.

I wish the women would stop inviting Miss Big Mouth Bunting to dinner. Haven't they got a clue yet that Robert doesn't like her or want her there? Why doesn't Tom say he'll invite her and then lie that she couldn't make it. He acts like he doesn't want her there either.

What is going on with Barrow? Those were some seriously scary big syringes!

Say yes Isobel! That proposal was so sweet!

Old 01-25-2015, 10:19 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,262,030 times
I always thought Lord Merton was a pretty dreary person, but he sure was excited in this episode. If Isobel turned down the doctor, why would she take this guy? She doesn't want to be an aristocrat and doesn't appear to be attracted to him.

I'm puzzled why Carson dislikes Molesley so.

I had forgotten that Anna was in London when Green died. She went when Mary went to talk Jack Ross out of marrying Rose. Now she looks to become the lead suspect. The plot thickens....

Miss Bunting certainly needs to learn how to keep her mouth shut.

I'm glad Daisy is learning she has options. That may mean she won't be around much longer, unfortunately.

Interesting how Violet and Isobel are confiding in each other. They like to needle each other, but you can tell they are friends.

I wonder if Mary will make anything of Rosamonds "little girl" slip.

I was reminded of the movie "A Countess from Hong Kong" with Sophia Loren as a Russian countess and Marlon Brando. Not one of their best.

If Michael Gregson is dead, it would be because 1) the plot needs to have Edith alone to deal with her bastard daughter, or 2) the actor is unavailable. One rule of soap operas is that no missing character is dead unless they see his body, but I'd be surprised if Gregson came back.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:03 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
I wish Mary would have told Gillingham that he was lousy in bed, that would have taken the wind out of his sails and he would have been so humiliated he would have let her go without an argument.
Well, I thought while watching that scene - 'good for him' - that's just what Mary needs - someone to stand up to her and 'take her in hand.' Now, will the writers run with that or will he turn nasty (sort of) like Richard Carlisle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV