Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 10:55 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,364,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Thanks, brava4. Seems like I knew a little bit about it but this was before I started watching. I think it was Season 2?

It's been a while, possibly season 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 12:26 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,273,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Mary was boinking an Ambassador (not sure what he was actually but an official title) from another country and he kicked the bucket while in the midst of the dirty deed in Mary's bed at Downton. She, Cora and Anna dragged his body out of the room back to his assigned room and Edith saw them from a distance on the same floor. She then wrote to someone in his country alluding to said deed or questioning the details surrounding his death.

Sorry it's been a while, every little detail not forthcoming from my brain.
It was in Season 1. Kemal Pamuk, the Turkish diplomat, died in her bed. It was Daisy who saw them dragging the body. The story eventually got to Edith and she sent a letter to the Turkish ambassador. (She did this after a series of rather mean remarks Mary made about her.)

Rose's mother, Lady Flincher, helped spread the story. Bates' wife Vera used it to blackmail him, and Mary's beau Richard Carlisle used it to force Mary to marry him. She wisely dumped him and was prepared for him to publish the story, but he didn't.

Mary and Edith really, really don't like each other.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:55 PM

The poor relationship between Mary and Edith didn't start just like that after this one incident. I would supsect Mary has sense that Edith is such a mealy mouth, passive person that it is easy for the hard nosed, I'm better than you Mary to have picked on her even when they were children. Hence, Edith turning the knife on Mary.

Mary is a bit of a tart at this point.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:03 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,526,519 times
There was that one scene after Sybil died when Edith asked Mary if she thought they'd be closer now. Mary sighed and said, "I doubt it." The woman is cold.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There was that one scene after Sybil died when Edith asked Mary if she thought they'd be closer now. Mary sighed and said, "I doubt it." The woman is cold.
Yes, I rmemeber that little interation. I'm not sure one is any owrse than the other. To me, they both are obnoxious in their own way.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:25 PM

25,584 posts, read 56,585,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Perfectly understandable. Writing the Turkish Ambassador about that scandalous (for the time) indiscretion is unforgivable. I don't believe Cora, to this day, knows Edith did that. Does Granny even know Edith was the source of that rumor? I don't recall.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:52 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,620,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
The poor relationship between Mary and Edith didn't start just like that after this one incident. I would supsect Mary has sense that Edith is such a mealy mouth, passive person that it is easy for the hard nosed, I'm better than you Mary to have picked on her even when they were children. Hence, Edith turning the knife on Mary.

Mary is a bit of a tart at this point.
tart noun
: an open pie that usually has a sweet filling (such as fruit or custard)

: a woman who wears very sexy clothing and has sex with many men

Doubtful. I imagine Mary is acting no differently than many women of her day and class.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:53 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,526,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I imagine Mary is acting no differently than many women of her day and class.
She's no flapper, but plenty of women of Mary's ilk had affairs and dalliances.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
tart noun
: an open pie that usually has a sweet filling (such as fruit or custard)

: a woman who wears very sexy clothing and has sex with many men

Doubtful. I imagine Mary is acting no differently than many women of her day and class.

haha!! It's an opinion. Geez... I don't consult a dictionary each time I post. Ok, wait a minute . How about a classy tart?

Old 01-28-2015, 03:18 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,854,094 times
I think some posters on here should mind their own business what Lady Mary does, your all talking behind her back too bet you wouldn't say it to her face Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV