Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 10:39 AM

1,907 posts, read 2,275,002 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see this series go on forever, but it's good that they know #6 will be the last. That will allow Julian Fellowes to wrap up all the stories, so everyone can live happily ever after, or head to prison or to an insane asylum, or wherever.

Every season has ended with unresolved issues. It would drive me crazy if they ended season 6 that way and then never let us know how things turned out.

I tend to avoid series that have continuing stories and low ratings because they usually are cancelled before we find out how things turn out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 10:42 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,438,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Dan Stevens played Matthew Crawley - Mary's now-deceased husband, father of little Georgie. Dan departed Downton Abbey far too soon. Grass was greener and all that. Went to NY to do a very short-lived stage show - 3-months, I think. Has done some odd indie films. And, your question is exactly why I think Dan made a huge career blunder. Who ever heard of Dan Stevens before DA?? Who hears of him now???
I read yesterday that many of the actors and actresses want to leave DA and pursue other opportunities in the US. What the devil for, I don't know. America seems far too shallow, the culture a significant step down. It's a recipe for career suicide IMO. Dan Stevens should've stayed. In fact, they all are magnificent actors and actresses, whose talents are best showcased in British productions of the same vein as DA.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:45 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,267,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I just read a story on the British News site (Mirror) that Season 6 (the next upcoming season) will be Downton's last, as Fellows wants to move on to right a period drama set in NYC in the 1800s. The cast apparently have been informed and are spending time in Hollywood, pursuing other job opportunities.

Sad, if it's true, but I hope it ends on a good note.
That gives us the rest of this season and all of one more season. I'm okay with that. It will be interesting to see what he does with a series based in America during that time period you mentioned.

Another great period series is CMAX's The Knick. It's dark, though.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,532,503 times
I hate to see DA end but six seasons is a good run and all good things.....

I am disappointed that he would do a series set in the usa - I would much rather visit the UK in my favorite shows!

Old 01-29-2015, 11:19 AM

25,595 posts, read 56,612,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I read yesterday that many of the actors and actresses want to leave DA and pursue other opportunities in the US. What the devil for, I don't know. America seems far too shallow, the culture a significant step down. It's a recipe for career suicide IMO. Dan Stevens should've stayed. In fact, they all are magnificent actors and actresses, whose talents are best showcased in British productions of the same vein as DA.
Agree. Since it clearly can't be about quality artistic opportunities, it must be about the money and opportunities in general. Lots of really, really great and respected English actors - but do they acquire the wealth of the Americans? I think they may work a lot - but are not always paid all that well.

Had a friend who was in Prague recently - people happy, but the young ones complained of lack of opportunity - guessing that's a prevalent view throughout Europe. So, America and Australia are probably the last bastions of that.

Developed first world is racing down to a lower mean standard in all areas - artistic excellence just another casualty.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:31 AM

6,812 posts, read 6,978,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Mary didn't seem dissatisfied, but she didn't seem thrilled either. I think she was comparing his performance in the sack to Matthew's and he didn't measure up.

I like Mary MUCH better than Edith. Mary's focus seems to be, "Is this good for the estate?" and Edith's seems to be "Is this good for me?"
I don't know.....before Mary married Matthew she was plenty picky about what mate would be best for her. Now she has a vested interest in keeping the estate intact and solvent - it will go to her son. Naturally Edith doesn't have the same level of interest. Edith's primary concern is her personal happiness since she's had so little of it.

If I'm not mistaken, Mary told Anna that she and Tony had very little in common. I don't think the sexual aspect of it has even played a part in her decision. The week long get-away was really the first time they spent uninterrupted time together.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:41 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,531,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I don't know.....before Mary married Matthew she was plenty picky about what mate would be best for her. Now she has a vested interest in keeping the estate intact and solvent - it will go to her son. Naturally Edith doesn't have the same level of interest. Edith's primary concern is her personal happiness since she's had so little of it.

If I'm not mistaken, Mary told Anna that she and Tony had very little in common. I don't think the sexual aspect of it has even played a part in her decision. The week long get-away was really the first time they spent uninterrupted time together.
I think the main reason for Mary's getaway with Tony was she wanted sex.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:05 PM

25,595 posts, read 56,612,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
It's beginning to look that way. Now that that's out of the way, he's not interesting enough. Actually, if he has no money, he isn't all that great of a catch, either.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:06 PM

29,783 posts, read 34,555,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I don't know about that. She may have already been lukewarm about Tony even though he looked good on paper. If the sex turned out to be passionate and amazing she could have been able to make it work. Obviously spending a week with him made her realize that she didn't want him either in or out of bed.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:48 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,267,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Mary didn't seem dissatisfied, but she didn't seem thrilled either. I think she was comparing his performance in the sack to Matthew's and he didn't measure up.
Yep. That's what I figured as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV