Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 12:29 PM

6,520 posts, read 6,725,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
It is also hard to believe that he would take a boat trip with his daughter from Boston to England without at least writing first. There was no need for a "surprise"!
Yes, I thought about that too. But if Tom's return had to be a surprise, I wish it hadn't interrupted Hughes' and Carson's wedding!! They deserved to be in the spotlight that day. Oh well, I'm guessing the writers are trying to squeeze a lot into the few final episodes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 12:58 PM

888 posts, read 456,139 times
I enjoyed the scenes when Edith was working to get the magazine out. She really enjoyed it and I wonder if she's going to assume a more hands-on role. Edith has made it obvious she wants to do something besides just sit around, in similar ways to Mary wanting to become the agent.

I'm also curious about the response to this issue from the readership. If it is well received, will it push Edith to make changes to the content that reflect the changing times? I hope the writers take time to show the non relationship side of Edith more, especially since Edith needs to develop her own life if she is to have the confidence to openly claim Marigold as her own.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:40 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,233,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
Edith needs to develop her own life if she is to have the confidence to openly claim Marigold as her own.
It struck me that all three of the Grantham daughters wound up producing children being raised by a single parent.

...well, single parent plus staff and nannies, but you know what I mean.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:10 PM

888 posts, read 456,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It struck me that all three of the Grantham daughters wound up producing children being raised by a single parent.

...well, single parent plus staff and nannies, but you know what I mean.
True, I hadn't thought of that. This is likely in part due the soap opera nature, in that no romantic relationship can be free of some type of serious conflict, be in internal or external to the relationship. It's probably also reflective of the DA theme showing the changing times and greater independence for women.

While there has been some pressure for these single parents to remarry, it hasn't been severe. Were they to be single parents who had to make a living and be the primary caregiver sans servants, remarrying would be more of an economic necessity.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,320,854 times
Quote:
True, I hadn't thought of that. This is likely in part due the soap opera nature, in that no romantic relationship can be free of some type of serious conflict, be in internal or external to the relationship. It's probably also reflective of the DA theme showing the changing times and greater independence for women.

While there has been some pressure for these single parents to remarry, it hasn't been severe. Were they to be single parents who had to make a living and be the primary caregiver sans servants, remarrying would be more of an economic necessity.
Post WW1, there was also a problem finding someone to marry. It wasn't just the gentry, who couldn't just marry anyone. The war killed off a lot of the generation they would have married.

With Mary, she's also learned that what she wants does matter, and if the boytoy isn't someone she wants to share with in life, she'd not interested. Edith is still grieving for her loss. But they also belong to a generation where it became not the sole goal of a woman to marry and be a wife, but find the right pick. Neither would have wanted to marry someone the family chose like their mother. Nor would the family have 'chosen' an acceptable choice.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:13 PM

37,770 posts, read 46,244,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
It's not her manners and mores that bother me. I'd expect her to have them. It's McGovern's quirks and mannerisms that I don't like. I never really cared for her acting, from Ordinary People to She's Having a Baby. She does the downcast big eye thing in every role. She's a one trick pony, and she's lucky enough to blend in with a cast that carries her. She's a mediocre actress amongst natural talents.
Exactly.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:31 AM

1,907 posts, read 2,275,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Agree!! Glad Tom returned but could have written him in with out crashing and upstaging the wedding.
He could have waited for the family to return to the castle.
Carson and Mrs. Carson seemed happy to see him and Sybbie. It looked like Tom's arrival only interrupted the reception line for a few minutes. I'm pretty sure the happy couple got plenty of attention.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:09 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,367,042 times
Remember they are cramming a lot of life in this last season. Some of it just won't jive or make sense.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,032 posts, read 6,567,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Remember they are cramming a lot of life in this last season. Some of it just won't jive or make sense.
That is why a well done series like Downton Abbey is soooo much better than a 2-3 hour movie. And really, six seasons of, what, 7-8 episodes turns out not to be enough!

Old 01-22-2016, 02:36 PM

7,581 posts, read 5,353,721 times
Quote:
I wouldn't think that in that period that their would be inordinate pressure on a man, like Tom, to remarry other than to get over the loss of his wife and I wouldn't expect that kind of pressure coming from his in-laws. Mary Branson nee Crawley on the other hand would be a different story because a husband is directly tied to her and her child's economic well being (although doesn't she become the sole heir to Downtown through her late husband Matthew Crawley).

Huge spoiler

Spoiler
To worry the pressure will come to bear and Lady Mary will wed before the season's end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV