Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 07:59 AM

29,807 posts, read 34,655,581 times

Advertisements

I think after all the Bates have been through, the writers would be pretty tone deaf to ruin Anna's dream of a family to end the series. I have a feeling they'll give her a happy ending (with the requisite drama first, of course.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:44 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,277,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Ok, I let the first wrong post go by since no one else picked up on it but now that it is being repeated by another post, I must comment...

The Dowager IS Violet. You mean ISOBEL vs Violet, the Dowager.
Quite right, thank you

Old 01-12-2016, 10:48 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,277,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think after all the Bates have been through, the writers would be pretty tone deaf to ruin Anna's dream of a family to end the series. I have a feeling they'll give her a happy ending (with the requisite drama first, of course.)
That does seem the likely outcome, leaving her in her usual misery would be like ending a Shirley Temple film with her learning she has a fatal disease.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:35 AM

888 posts, read 457,028 times
Quote:
I hope you're right. Anna is understandably afflicted with anxiety because of her many misfortunes. She's trained herself to not hope for too much based on her personal past and place in society as a servant. Hopefully she can get past her anxiety sooner than later for both her the audience's sake.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:51 PM

42,080 posts, read 75,612,743 times
Quote:
Why is Barrow being almost shunned? Did I miss something? Or have I forgotten something?
Seems cumulative. Carson never liked him. John Bates obviously does not, for good reason. Robert doesn't like him and doesn't want him around ("Who has an underbutler?"). Face it, the guy should have been canned before the war started, and about a dozen times since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
They were pretty insensitive to the Drews, especially after all Mr. Drew has done for Edith, not to mention the pigs. But it does open a spot for Mr. Mason.
Yes, isn't that tidy?

Edith didn't figure Mrs. Drewe would go dotty. Mr. Drewe should have ...

Quote:
I thought the same thing, fleetie. So much for having everything as perfect as can be. Maybe with this being the final season, they are letting things slip.
The phrase "the dark side" no doubt has been around many, many years before Star Wars.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:01 PM

29,807 posts, read 34,655,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The phrase "the dark side" no doubt has been around many, many years before Star Wars.
That something has a "dark side", yes, but as far as I can tell from a cursory search, the phrase "go over to the dark side" is from Star Wars and wouldn't be something that an English aristocrat would say in 1925:

May the Fourth be with you! | OxfordWords blog

Quote:
By now, for all but the geekiest English speakers, go over to the Dark Side has shed its association with the film. It seems so natural. It could have been in English for centuries. Yet Jeff Prucher insists in Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction (2007) that the term the Dark Side for ‘force of evil’originated in Star Wars

Old 01-12-2016, 04:53 PM

42,080 posts, read 75,612,743 times
Well, of course a science fiction geek is going to think his favorite genre invented the phrase! LOL

Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 PM

8,114 posts, read 10,723,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
I hope you're right. Anna is understandably afflicted with anxiety because of her many misfortunes. She's trained herself to not hope for too much based on her personal past and place in society as a servant. Hopefully she can get past her anxiety sooner than later for both her the audience's sake.
Some misfortunes yes, but she did get Mr. Bates....

Old 01-13-2016, 02:06 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,062,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Doesn't it make more sense for Edith to move to London than for the farmer family to move? She is the one that dragged them into this mess in the first place. Although that would solve the problem for Daisy's father-in-law. He could take over that tenancy.
Bingo. I think that's where the story line is going.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:33 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,170,877 times
Quote:
I hope you're right. Unlike a lot of posters, Bates and Anna are among my favorite characters. I don't necessarily understand Anna's hesitation to be more upfront with her husband, but I do sympathize with them both. They're good people and this series damn well better end on a positive not for them!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV