Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 11:52 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,376,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
She obviously suffers from Downton Syndrome.

Could not have said it better myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 03:18 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,886,173 times
Did any famous actors and actresses audition for roles in DA but were turned down?

Old 01-07-2016, 05:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,273,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Did any famous actors and actresses audition for roles in DA but were turned down?
Billy Bob Thornton auditioned for the part of Lord Grantham, but the producers felt he was not quite right.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:02 PM

888 posts, read 457,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I could have used less of whether Carson and Hughes were going to have sex or not.
I didn't mind this and liked it because it showed the sexual repression of the era, especially for women. Having the elderly discuss sex is not common on television because youth are the target demographic, so I appreciated it for this as well.

But they did belabor the point. As far as having the cook act as an intermediary to discuss sex, that seems unrealistic, and I suspect it was to help extend this episode's fixation.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:18 AM

1,907 posts, read 2,279,852 times
The stories in the first episode were rather bland. We certainly should see more drama in the rest of the season.

There were two quick storylines resolved: Mrs. Hughes' concern that she couldn't fulfill all aspects of marriage and Miss Bevin's attempt at blackmail. Both storylines showed that sex outside marriage was forbidden at the time. Both Mrs. Hughes and Mrs. Patmore ("I wouldn't know, of course.") hadn't had it, and Mary's having it was scandalous.

And one old storyline was resolved: the business with Mr. Green. I'm glad that's over with. Clearly both Anna and Bates had a motive to murder him, but we never saw that the police (or anyone else besides Mary and Mrs. Hughes) knew about the rape. Without that motive, there was no reason for the police to even suspect them. We likely won't see them fade away to run a small hotel, however. They are likely to face new adversity in the next few episodes.

The hospital dispute will provide a source of dissension between Violet and Isobel for a while. It also shows that Lord Merton isn't out of the picture. Nor is Dr. Clarkson.

It was clear that the lavish lifestyle of the aristocracy was on it's way out. Just the hint of staff reductions was cause for concern. It did give Denker an opportunity to cause a little trouble, which backfired on her. But we'll likely see changes coming. Thomas likely will be looking for other opportunities ("Who has an underbutler?"), and Daisy will have to rethink her plans to take over Mr. Mason's farm now that there is no farm. But she's gained some spunk and has other options, now.

But they do still hunt. One of the things that makes the show great is that they stage lavish scenes such as the one involving horses and several filming locations. The hunt played no role in the plot other than to get Robert out of the hospital meeting and to introduce Miss Bevin, but it was great show.

We saw little of Edith but got a foreshadowing of her move to London. As the second daughter, she really has no future at Downton (while Mary and George's futures are tied to the estate). It's about time she got herself a life away from Mary.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Old 01-10-2016, 08:20 PM

42,080 posts, read 75,606,956 times
The big wedding grows nearer. Gotta love Mr. Carson. He is so clueless about women.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:39 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,293,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The big wedding grows nearer. Gotta love Mr. Carson. He is so clueless about women.
So true. I wonder if Mrs. Hughes may call it off.

Stupid farmer's wife. Ruins her family's life over a kid not her own.

Why is Barrow being almost shunned? Did I miss something? Or have I forgotten something?

Old 01-11-2016, 06:45 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,026,133 times
Doesn't it make more sense for Edith to move to London than for the farmer family to move? She is the one that dragged them into this mess in the first place. Although that would solve the problem for Daisy's father-in-law. He could take over that tenancy.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:03 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,293,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Doesn't it make more sense for Edith to move to London than for the farmer family to move? She is the one that dragged them into this mess in the first place. Although that would solve the problem for Daisy's father-in-law. He could take over that tenancy.
Yes, it would but the farmer has to be punished for his wife kidnapping Marigold.

Mr. Mason would be happy, sort of, until Downton goes into receivership too.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:26 AM

1,907 posts, read 2,279,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
They were pretty insensitive to the Drews, especially after all Mr. Drew has done for Edith, not to mention the pigs. But it does open a spot for Mr. Mason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV