Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 12:50 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,280,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
With all the talk about Edith, I wonder if Talbot knows about Mr. Pamuk? Or because he knew that Mary wasn't a virgin going in, that's not something she'll bring up.
Or Lord Gillingham. And did Mary have a trial run with Talbot as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 12:51 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,215,534 times
unlike some of you I don't think bertie will be back and we will see edith live happily being single for a very long time . I'm glad mary is married now and maybe she will finally be happy . I loved how Lord Grantham pushed mrs Patmore in front of them that was a hoot the look on her face . omg I'm so glad all that inn business is settled , a house of ill repute , my grandmother used to use that term when she would talk around the kids . I'm so sorry to see this show ending I have loved it so much . I guess I will have to find something else to love now .

Old 02-22-2016, 12:54 PM

42,090 posts, read 75,644,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Why would she go to all the trouble of going to France to have the baby, go through all that heartache with the farmer's family and then confess her secret to someone because he proposed to her?
She had no intention of keeping Marigold when she went to Switzerland to conceal her pregnancy and deliver. It was only after she came home without Marigold that she regretted all that trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I cited a an accurate chronology, not an apology. Or, are the facts an inconvenient truth?
You tell me. Mary exacted her revenge for the Parmuk incident -- which was Edith's revenge for Mary agreeing to marry Patrick even though she didn't love him -- by lying to Sir Anthony about Edith's intentions toward him. Yet that wasn't good enough for Mary, and she continued her unending emotional abuse of and snark toward Edith, culminating in Mary purposely and vengefully telling Bertie about Marigold.

Apparently some folks' mothers neglected to teach them that a life well lived is the best revenge.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:30 PM

888 posts, read 457,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Edith didn't actually accept Bertie's proposal. After she said she loved him he said "Then I'll take that as a yes." She clearly was putting off answering him until she could get up the courage to tell him about Marigold. She just waited too long.
This will likely be Edith's out. She has observable behavior that demonstrates she was putting him off and a very understandable reason why she would be afraid to tell him. She has to convince him of her true intentions and get him to forgive her for not telling when they were outside. Edith can pull the emotional fear card due to being left at the altar, literally, and then the death of her next love.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:33 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,680,576 times
I am going back to watch, but I think Mary was still intact after the Parmuk incident, not that it would make any difference to her reputation. Something he said when he got into her bed. But I have been wrong before

I wish Michael would return on Christmas, like Mr. Bates did to Anna, and find Edith with Marigold.
She could be glad she didn't marry Bertie, and everyone could live happily ever after.

I think I like Mrs. Patmore and Elsie Carson best of all. I am going to miss this program so much!

Edited to say: I did watch it again and Pamuk (!) told Mary that it was safe and she would still be a virgin for her husband. It was so funny to see them all in corsets. Also, Thomas was acting as the Turk's valet and made a pass at him. He promised not to tell anyone if Thomas took him for a visit in the night to another bedroom. Thomas took Pamuk in his dressing gown to Mary's room, so Thomas knew.

Last edited by newcomputer; 02-22-2016 at 02:18 PM..

Old 02-22-2016, 01:39 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,387,361 times
Having watched the entire series already (including the Christmas Special) over a month ago it has been interesting reading all of the comments and speculations about what will happen. A lot of loose ends will be tied up!

Old 02-22-2016, 01:58 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,370,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I can see Mary eventually funding the race car avocation. Many rich women have impoverished husbands - and indulge their hobbies.
Excuse me but I've long suspected and not confirmed notion that Mary didn't care about Talbot's station or money, it was the car crash that killed his friend. I was surprised that Mary didn't have Matthew flashbacks the first time she watched him race.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:09 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,378,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I am going back to watch, but I think Mary was still intact after the Parmuk incident, not that it would make any difference to her reputation. Something he said when he got into her bed. But I have been wrong before

I wish Michael would return on Christmas, like Mr. Bates did to Anna, and find Edith with Marigold.
She could be glad she didn't marry Bertie, and everyone could live happily ever after.

I think I like Mrs. Patmore and Elsie Carson best of all. I am going to miss this program so much!

I was never really clear on this but has Michael actually been found dead or just declared dead because no one can find him?

Old 02-22-2016, 02:23 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,680,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I was never really clear on this but has Michael actually been found dead or just declared dead because no one can find him?
Best I remember, they found his clothing and bodies but it was some time after the incident. You could make a case for mistaken identity. Didn't Edith believe he was alive? (in her heart )

Old 02-22-2016, 02:44 PM

42,732 posts, read 30,014,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
With all the talk about Edith needing to be honest about everything, I wonder if Talbot knows about Mr. Pamuk? Or because he knew that Mary wasn't a virgin going in, that's all water under the bridge.
No one is saying that Edith has to be honest about EVERYTHING. Her having a child is rather an important piece of information. Especially since if she leaves Downton Abbey to live with her husband, she'll be bringing Marigold with her. Bertie thought the child was the family's ward. When Edith told him she wanted Marigold with her, he was a bit taken aback. But her explanation, that she was the one in the family closest to the child he accepted. Except that he pointed out that they would be having children of their own. A subtle hint that Marigold would not have the same standing as their own children.

That would have been intolerable to Edith. And that's why she needed to tell Bertie the truth about Marigold. Not about everything, but about Marigold. Edith would have wanted her child to be treated every bit as well as the children she would have with Bertie. And while Bertie is a kind and generous man, his expectations regarding the ward of his wife's family would not have been the same as Edith's expectations. For him to understand her expectations, and the bond she has with Marigold, he would need to know the truth.

And Bertie left Edith because he was hurt that she didn't trust him enough to share this with him. The facts of Marigold's existence were scandalous, and his change in fortune plus his mother certainly put the scandal in a different light than it would have before he became a Marquess, but he saw Edith and himself as a united front. The idea of her not trusting him means they weren't really united at all. And that's something that's going to take some time for him to get over. The good thing, he's got the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV