Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 09:51 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,679,410 times

Advertisements

As far as Marigold's future, is anyone interested in the Bloomsburys? Edith alluded to them when Bertie met her at Michael's apartment in London. Bertie remarked on the way the apartment was decorated and she was describing the people she had met there with Michael. I remembered her mentioning Lytton Strachey. (excuse my spelling )

I think Edith and Marigold would have done fine in London. Much more fun than churning out heirs for Bertie (and his mom) who seems to be an old school wet blanket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:52 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,377,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DomesticGoddess View Post
Originally posted by brava4
I was never really clear on this but has Michael actually been found dead or just declared dead because no one can find him?

Originally posted by newcomputer
Best I remember, they found his clothing and bodies but it was some time after the incident. You could make a case for mistaken identity. Didn't Edith believe he was alive? (in her heart )

Yes, Edith did state that she felt Michael was still alive (in her heart). I don't think Michael is dead, and I'm hoping he re-appears in the final episode. I think the creator/writers had to find a way for Bertie to exit the show, so they could bring Michael back, and so Edith could finally be with the man she really loved, and for Edith, Michael, and Marigold to finally become a family. Also for Edith to finally be happy and have a happy ending!

There it is then. Good bye Bertie hello Micheal. So much better.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:55 AM

29,807 posts, read 34,655,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I think Edith and Marigold would have done fine in London. Much more fun than churning out heirs for Bertie (and his mom) who seems to be an old school wet blanket
I think in a real-life situation, Edith and Marigold would have decamped to London never to look back. In TV world, Laura Carmichael liked her job and wanted to stay on the show, hence the convoluted plot to keep Edith at the Abbey.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:25 AM

7,584 posts, read 5,366,845 times
I'm betting that the trip to Tangiers will be as clarifying as Granny's visit to the south of France.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:15 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,694,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I did not know that Nigel Havers has remarried. I remember that his wife died a few years ago. He's still very good looking for his age - the heiress is very lucky
I agree, I think they're well-suited, same age. She looks similar to 2nd wife Polly. Also, I misremembered - Georgiana had been an au pair before she met, married, and divorced Bronfman. Not an heiress, but a very ordinary girl who became a fabulously rich divorcee.

You also should find this interesting reading:

The Charmer wrests £375,000 (and a Mercedes) from dead wife's son | Daily Mail Online

Like I said, you can't make this stuff up.

Quote:
What happened to Lady Mary's prerequisite before marriage of seeing if she is "compatible" with the man she is thinking of marrying. That's how she wound up in that hotel with that guy, I forget his name - she wanted to see how their chemistry worked intimately So, does that mean, she can just tell that Talbot would be a good lover for her?
I think there is so much lust between Talbot/Mary, a trial run wasn't necessary. Her reason for spending the week w/Gillingham in London is she wasn't "sure." Translation - no chemistry.

Quote:
I think she and Talbot make a beautiful couple and there will be some magic but for the long haul, like seeing their 50th anniversary in 1975, I am not sure.
Exactly. This is a marriage based on chemistry and not much else, imho. I wanted to slap Branson for insisting on this silly (imho) match.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:55 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,304,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
What no one is thinking about here is Bertie himself. Mary was so focused on hurting her sister that she ambushed a guest of the family in her home without a single thought or concern as to how this bombshell was going to affect him. It was classless, disgraceful behavior by someone who was raised to know better. No wonder she sent Carson out of the room. He would have been appalled at such vulgarity. What did Bertie ever do to deserve such abject humiliation?

Even if one were to buy her weak argument that she thought he already knew, anyone with a modicum of class would know it's not polite or suitable breakfast table small talk. "Hey, I know! Let's talk about my sister's, your soon to be wife's, illegitimate child! That would be fun, don't you think, Bertie?" No one with a brain buys that tripe except the Mary apologists.

No, Edith named her correctly in their row.

So are we to excuse Mary every time she behaves badly because of what what Edith did 12 years ago? At what point will Edith be suitably paid back? Or does Mary’s need for revenge have no end?

No matter what happens with Bertie, Edith would do well to move to London permanently. She needs to get away from her bitchy, vengeful bully of a sister. And for sure she needs to take Marigold far away from Mary's reach.
Co-signing your entire post.

The one thing that the British upper class insisted on was manners. You ARE NOT rude to a guest in your home. You DO NOT make scenes.

It seems as if the British upper class on Downton adhere to the rules when it suits. I remember when Thomas humiliated Gwen. If this were real life, he wouldn't have been allowed to even speak in the dining room, much less humiliate a guest.

It makes for good drama, but sometimes takes you out of the show.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Exactly. This is a marriage based on chemistry and not much else, imho. I wanted to slap Branson for insisting on this silly (imho) match.
If that is the case you have a long line of faces to slap, starting with the Dowager Countess of Grantham!

Old 02-23-2016, 04:37 PM

18,982 posts, read 9,134,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Co-signing your entire post.

The one thing that the British upper class insisted on was manners. You ARE NOT rude to a guest in your home. You DO NOT make scenes.
Exactly. Mary definitely knows better but she simply didn't care. She behaves like a bratty child with no impulse control when it comes to Edith. Bertie's humiliation didn't even register with her, or if it did, she dismissed it as unimportant to her ultimate goal of destroying her sister's chance at happiness. I'm sure her family was mortified by her rude and classless behavior to a guest in their home.

When Edith came back and explained her reasons to her sister it became apparent which of the two of them had grown and gained maturity, and which of them was still an immature, spoiled bully. Never have we seen such a start contrast between the two sisters as we did in that moment.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
It seems as if the British upper class on Downton adhere to the rules when it suits.
Just blame the break down in social standards to the American with her Hebraic sense of egalitarianism.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:09 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,694,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
If that is the case you have a long line of faces to slap, starting with the Dowager Countess of Grantham!
LOL - oh, indeed - the one time Violet disappoints. Love trumps all?? Hogwash. Not believable. Lady Violet is getting foolishly soft in her old age. Actually, Mary should have done the trial run w/Talbot to get it out of her system - and then marry sensibly someone like Gillingham.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-23-2016 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV