Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 07:02 PM

888 posts, read 455,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I suppose that they could solve Edith's matrimonial problem by having Marigold die, but nothing in this tv series has ever suggested that they would serve up something like that for the viewers. Besides, how would that be a happy ending for Edith? Gain a husband but lose a daughter?
I agree that there's been no foreshadowing or clues dropped that something might happen to Marigold.

There's also no time left to explore the possibility that something's wrong with her. Several posters in this thread have commented that Marigold never talks and have wondered if there is something wrong. Were the series to have continued, and were she to actually be nonverbal, autism would be a likely scenario. This would clearly be taking an issue of today to explore how it would have been handled differently then.

Personally, I haven't seen her be in enough scenes in which she would be expected to speak to conclude there might be something wrong. I'm in education and work with children with special needs, so after other posters commented on a possible lack of verbal skills, my mind jumped to autism.

My guess is the girl that plays Marigold was selected because she is able to stay quiet when told to and follows directions well, two necessary characteristics for an actor or actress of that age. She is also likely a child personally known to the writers or producers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 07:06 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,357,142 times
Marigold isn't just silent, she is a very odd looking child. Have you ever seen a forehead like that that didn't mean some sore of deformity?

Old 02-25-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Marigold isn't just silent, she is a very odd looking child. Have you ever seen a forehead like that that didn't mean some sore of deformity?
I haven't noticed it, but I also haven't focused closely on it. You may be right.

Having a larger TV would also help. I've always been behind the times on the size of TV I have.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:52 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Edith's secret is not out.

Socially, her secret can never be out.

All we've seen is that the circle of people that are in the know has grown. Her family knows. The farmer and his wife know. She evidently trusted her editor enough to tell her (though we don't know for sure, Edith could just have said that Mary revealed something to Bertie without telling the editor what the something was), and Bertie knows. That's it. It's still a secret. If Bertie is truly gone and done, and another suitor should come along, Edith will have to figure out a way to tell that suitor her secret.
True, only a limited number of people know, mainly the people she sees every day like her family and close staff, so maybe that will make life easier for her at least, but hopefully she will use what happened with Bertie as a lesson for the future. When the next man she is involved with becomes serious, she should reveal her secret. If he is good and worthy man, it wouldn't matter even if he had a title as long as scandal doesn't break out, but if everyone just keeps the secret then a happy life can be had. The secret is no one's business but her future husband's, family knows already anyway. This will also protect Marigold's future and in time, maybe Edith's future husband can adopt her. I hope they aren't going to kill her off

Old 02-25-2016, 10:45 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,830,921 times
Since DA was set in Yorkshire, it would have been interesting if the actors playing locals would have tried the accent.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ScELaXMCVis

Old 02-26-2016, 12:07 AM

7,580 posts, read 5,340,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
Several posters in this thread have commented that Marigold never talks and have wondered if there is something wrong.

Personally, I haven't seen her be in enough scenes in which she would be expected to speak to conclude there might be something wrong. I'm in education and work with children with special needs, so after other posters commented on a possible lack of verbal skills, my mind jumped to autism.
Seriously do you folks have any shame!?! I ask because don't think it to be just a bit shameful to negatively remark about two small children playing a role on TV. Deformities, autism, lack of vocal skills? There just kids and kids who are not being asked to do much of anything expect showing so they be filmed running into a room or some such, it ain't like they have anything much worthy of pushing the storyline.

By the way Marigold is played by the twins Eva & Katrina Samms

Old 02-26-2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Seriously do you folks have any shame!?! I ask because don't think it to be just a bit shameful to negatively remark about two small children playing a role on TV. Deformities, autism, lack of vocal skills? There just kids and kids who are not being asked to do much of anything expect showing so they be filmed running into a room or some such, it ain't like they have anything much worthy of pushing the storyline.

I will repeat that I said I haven't seen anything to make me thing there is something wrong. Different posters on several occasions have remarked that they think there is something wrong.

Perhaps I should have clarified that I don't think the actresses are non verbal. I know nothing about their verbal skills or lack thereof. In the context of something happening to Marigold, as a plot element, I brought up what others have suggested about her not talking and described what could have been an interesting plot element based on that observation. That's all. I also pointed out that I don't remember seeing Marigold in scenes in which I would have expected her to talk. Am I a little sensitive about the subject? Yes, it is my field. But don't worry, I'm not going to go on a rant.

Having someone with a disability (other than Bates' bum leg) would have been an interesting plot element. As is typical with TV, people with disabilities aren't represented in numbers typically found in the population. This is especially true with children.

I get what you're saying. Pointing out disabilities in a negative way is wrong and something I'm sensitive about, especially if we're picking on kids. That said, if a character is showing signs that there is something wrong, even if it is a child, then it is fair game to tastefully discuss it. After all, we've skewered the adults characters psychologically.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:59 AM

7,252 posts, read 7,099,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Since DA was set in Yorkshire, it would have been interesting if the actors playing locals would have tried the accent.
I thought the same when I first watched it. All Creatures Great and Small was set in Yorkshire and the accents were very different from DA. Daisy and Mr. Mason come a bit close.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:27 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,830,921 times
I think Ms. Froggatt is the only cast member from Yorkshire.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:05 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,357,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post

So they both act and look odd. Oh dear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV