Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 09:37 PM

32,258 posts, read 27,476,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
An American Downton Abbey...put together by two Brits? Wow, that doesn't sound very good to me!

BBC News - 'No plans' to end Downton Abbey
Here we go again. We've been down this path before and it most never works.

When the series "Coupling" was a huge hit in the UK and being seen on PBS stations an American version was created; it bombed and was horrible. Barely made a whole season before being taken off air and that was that.

There are just some things that British television does better than America and vice versa. Brits tried their own version of "Golden Girls" and it didn't work out either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:52 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,301,515 times
This is kind of funny. Fans will not let go of "Matthew"...

Dan Stevens apologises to fans once again for leaving Downton Abbey | Mail Online

Old 01-10-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

Dan Stevens apologises to fans once again for leaving Downton Abbey | Mail Online
WOW! Living in the States or maybe it is just Brooklyn, NYC seems to agree with Mr. Stevens! He's not as pudgy around the face and looks rather buff and trim. Shall have to ditch the car and take the train when going that way more often! *LOL*

Old 01-10-2014, 10:15 PM

20 posts, read 43,320 times
they shouldn't try and do a US remake. Maybe do an English remake as soon as its off the air. Upstairs Downstairs remake was great. Do the same with DA. Just don't wait decades.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:22 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingThat View Post
they shouldn't try and do a US remake. Maybe do an English remake as soon as its off the air. Upstairs Downstairs remake was great. Do the same with DA. Just don't wait decades.
The Upstairs Downstairs remake ended with the beginning of the second world war, and air raid sirens if I remember right. And the one character having been rescued from Nazi Germany. Since DA is now in 22, thats only some seven years. I wonder if they'll carry it up to that point. And Edith better not move to Germany....

How far does season 4 go?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Here we go again. We've been down this path before and it most never works.

When the series "Coupling" was a huge hit in the UK and being seen on PBS stations an American version was created; it bombed and was horrible. Barely made a whole season before being taken off air and that was that.

There are just some things that British television does better than America and vice versa. Brits tried their own version of "Golden Girls" and it didn't work out either.
I think a show about the gilded age in the US would be great, made properly period. I'd give a couple of brits a better chance of doing that than an American company. Period pieces on American tv tend to be less than wonderful. Just give him a script review by someone who knows the real authenticity of the period.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,378,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

Yeah, it is so stupid. It's TV!!!

Old 01-11-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yeah, it is so stupid. It's TV!!!
At least he lucked out. I can think of a list of others who quit the show they were in and discovered it wasn't the best of ideas. But I LOVE the chin fuzz.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
At least he lucked out. I can think of a list of others who quit the show they were in and discovered it wasn't the best of ideas. But I LOVE the chin fuzz.
Something tells me Dan Stevens has gone all NYC "metrosexual" and all, hitting the gym and so forth. You mark my words in one of his upcoming films or new television shows he's going to bust out a buff body from under those tweeds! *LOL*

Old 01-12-2014, 05:32 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,604,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think a show about the gilded age in the US would be great, made properly period. I'd give a couple of brits a better chance of doing that than an American company. Period pieces on American tv tend to be less than wonderful. Just give him a script review by someone who knows the real authenticity of the period.
I just saw The Age of Innocence (the one with Michelle Pfeiffer) on TV, and was thinking the whole time "This would have been so much better as an English drama" even though it was set in NYC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV