Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM

42,732 posts, read 30,003,311 times

Advertisements

I like how the show takes the time to illustrate that it isn't just aristocrats like the Earl of Downton who resist the social change and upheaval that really characterize the entire 20th century. Carson resists the changes as well. And as one poster pointed out, the issue wasn't just scandal when it comes to Ethel, because Bates is just as much a central figure in a scandal. But Bates is a man. He'll return to Downton with no consequences for the scandal that centered on him. The most interesting juxtaposition, though, is Daisy. Poised to become an heiress because she married a man she didn't love, never consummated the relationship, and found a father figure out of the mess. Ethel slept with a man she thought she loved, but who didn't love her, had to give up her son to a father figure who reviles her, and she's lost all respectability.

Will Daisy realize in the next episode that the Mentalist footman has a crush on her? And he's ever so much nicer than the bloke she's set her sights on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,178,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Well, it is kind of bull that a former prostitute quietly trying to pull her life back together is bringing all kinds of shame down on the family (as per Carson and Robert,) while Bates, after having been tried and sent to prison, will be welcomed back with open arms. Sure, he was cleared, but people will talk and all.
I think that folks are either forgetting or are ignorant (not in the pejorative sense) that this is all taking place in an time barely out of the Victorian era were propriety was above all else, particularly a woman. Bates was wrongly convicted, Ellsie is a fallen woman, the Church of England wasn't the most forgiving of denominations.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 PM

4,067 posts, read 5,671,438 times
Agreed! The urine test mentioned in the show was available at the time and some symptoms as well as dangers of the disease were known...although nearly as much as it is now. With that test done earlier on, possibly the Preeclamsia could have been dealt with before it got to the point of turning into Eclampsia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Not in agreement with the new Dr but he did have a point about the risk of disease from the hospital.
Also wondering why the old Dr didn't notice anything wrong sooner.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM

11,677 posts, read 12,818,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I like how the show takes the time to illustrate that it isn't just aristocrats like the Earl of Downton who resist the social change and upheaval that really characterize the entire 20th century. Carson resists the changes as well. And as one poster pointed out, the issue wasn't just scandal when it comes to Ethel, because Bates is just as much a central figure in a scandal. But Bates is a man. He'll return to Downton with no consequences for the scandal that centered on him. The most interesting juxtaposition, though, is Daisy. Poised to become an heiress because she married a man she didn't love, never consummated the relationship, and found a father figure out of the mess. Ethel slept with a man she thought she loved, but who didn't love her, had to give up her son to a father figure who reviles her, and she's lost all respectability.

Will Daisy realize in the next episode that the Mentalist footman has a crush on her? And he's ever so much nicer than the bloke she's set her sights on.
That's a very insightful observation.

The Earl and Carsons' belief in sticking to standards is a copycat of Upstairs Downstairs (Hudson/LadyMarjory).

Old 02-04-2013, 06:13 PM

11,677 posts, read 12,818,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
It means a difficult situation. A sticky wicket is a term used to describe a cricket pitch which has moisture in it (something that greatly favours the bowler), making life hard for the batsman.

Downton Abbey, or Highclere Castle to give it its real world name, is only 3 miles from where I live on the Hampshire/Berkshire border in the south of England.

In the TV show it is supposed to be in the north, near the city of York.

I enjoy reading through this thread. It's interesting to see the fascination some Americans still have for the 'old' England.
I guess I am one of those Americans too. I was delighted and surprised to see that Charlotte Russe was being served for pudding. As a resident of New York, that was a staple treat from my childhood that has become increasingly difficult to in my area. I had no idea Charlotte Russe would be served at an English Manor.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,566,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I guess I am one of those Americans too. I was delighted and surprised to see that Charlotte Russe was being served for pudding. As a resident of New York, that was a staple treat from my childhood that has become increasingly difficult to in my area. I had no idea Charlotte Russe would be served at an English Manor.

The New York and French versions are different though. I would imagine that Ethel's Charlotte Russe, the one the Dowager craved, was more like the French style.

Charlotte (cake) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If anyone has traveled to Victoria BC, they will find that the Parliament there is a replica of the British Parliament buildling in London. And a proper high tea is seved at the Empress Hotel where the European verson of Charlotte Russe can be had.

Question for the British posters or anyone else who knows this, I know that Highclere Castle is in the south of England but is any of the filming done in Yorkshire where "Downton Abby" is supposed to take place?

Old 02-04-2013, 06:35 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,178,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Question for the British posters or anyone else who knows this, I know that Highclere Castle is in the south of England but is any of the filming done in Yorkshire where "Downton Abby" is supposed to take place?
According to Wiki:
Highclere Castle in Hampshire was used for exterior shots of Downton Abbey and most of the interior filming.[5] The kitchen and servants' quarters and working areas and several "upstairs" bedrooms were constructed and filmed at Ealing Studios.[6]

The village of Bampton in Oxfordshire was used to film outdoor scenes, most notably St Mary's Church and the library, which served as the entrance to the cottage hospital.[7] First World War trench warfare in France was filmed in rural Suffolk near the village of Akenham specially designed for period war scenes.[clarification needed][8][9]

Many historical locations and aristocratic mansions were used to film various scenes. The fictional Haxby Park, the estate Sir Richard Carlisle intends to buy in Series 2, is part of Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire.[10] Inveraray Castle doubled as "Duneagle Castle" in the 2012 Christmas special. Greys Court in Oxfordshire was used as the family's secondary property, into which they proposed moving and calling 'Downton Place' due to financial difficulties in the third series. Also in the third series, Bates' prison scenes were filmed at Lincoln Castle in Lincolnshire.

The Downton Abbey of the title and setting, though fictional, is described as lying in the historical County of Yorkshire. The towns of Easingwold, Kirkby Malzeard, Kirkbymoorside, Malton, Middlesbrough, Ripon, Richmond, and Thirsk, each mentioned by characters in the series, lie in present-day North Yorkshire, as does the city of York, while Leeds - similarly mentioned - lies in West Yorkshire.
[edit]
Minervah, what a perfect name for the thread.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,117,033 times
We toured Highclere Castle this past summer.

The King Tut exhibit in the basement is incredible.

I wish they would have included the real history in the show.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,566,935 times
Ovcatto, thank you. So the show is filmed all over. I visited England in 2000 and Yorkshire was one of the various places I went to. It was beautiful. The countryside was breathtaking. The small towns were reall nice. If I ever have the opportunity to go back, I would like to take a "Downton Abby" tour and visit all the locations where it is being filmed.

I think it's wonderful those old castles still remain. I saw so many in ruin but then they were much older. I don't know if Lord Grantham would approve of their modern usage but to have places like Highclere Castle still remain is remarkable.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,423,187 times
The devious Mrs O'Brien is using pretty boy James to spin a web for Thomas as part of her promised revenge for his lies about her earlier. Thomas seems absolutely clueless but he should be more suspicious. He is in for a downfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV