Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 03:34 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,604,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
So, who gets pregnant this season ? Anna from the rape, Edna from the one-nighter with Tom, Edith from her romance with Gregson, Rose from a random night on the town, or someone else.

I'll say Rose for no particular reason.
What about Mary and her pirate?

And why did Lord G. refer to him that way? I was looking at the crowd for someone wearing an eyepatch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 03:50 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,424,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I bash Fellowes because he’s clunky and sloppy. It has nothing to do with Anna—whom I’ve always found to be a bit precious and annoying as a character.

For example, it’s ridiculous that Lord Gillingham could have “forgotten” that Matthew is dead while Mary is standing in front of him wearing mourning dress. The actors themselves looked embarrassed at having to play that scene.
I see what you mean but I've been in situations where that exact same type of thing has happened. Well, two situations that I recall.

I think it is a matter of personal preference. I don't find Fellowes "clunky and sloppy." Having said that, it is interesting and worthwhile to me when I read the differening opinions of others.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,576,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post

And why did Lord G. refer to him that way? I was looking at the crowd for someone wearing an eyepatch!

I think Lord G. refered to him as a pirate because his coloring was swarthy rather than the typical fair looking old titled aristocracy that surrounded him. It was all part of Lord G's extreme penchant for judging people by looks and station as he did Edith's publisher friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I bash Fellowes because he’s clunky and sloppy. It has nothing to do with Anna—whom I’ve always found to be a bit precious and annoying as a character.

For example, it’s ridiculous that Lord Gillingham could have “forgotten” that Matthew is dead while Mary is standing in front of him wearing mourning dress. The actors themselves looked embarrassed at having to play that scene.
This is what I was thinking as well. While I don't bash Fellowes, I do believe his writing gets sloppy at times. I believe it was out of character for Bates to be as sullen as he was over Gillingham's valet flirting with Anna the way he did. Sure, he should have been annoyed but to take it out on the rest of the staff and to treat Anna like a child rather than simply explain his feelings about what was going on was ridiculous since up until then they had been communicating so well about everything else. He knew she would never cheat on him after the way she worked so hard to set him free when he was accused of murder.

It would have been more within his character to have a quiet word instead of the grumpy grunts towards Anna and everyone else. He could have warned her that the valet looked like someone not to be trusted and to watch out for the guy. Knowing Anna's trusting nature, that would have been the wise thing to do and it would have been more in keeping with the patient Bates we know.

I totally agree with you about the second scene you mentioned as well. I cringed when I saw that.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:06 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I watch for the entertainment factor. Although I like some characters more than others, I don't LOVE any of them. I couldn't care less if good stuff happens to the characters or bad...it's all fiction. They aren't real.
I agree with both statements. I am a huge fan, but its a story. Now, there are shows where the people are real to me and I write my own stories so I know the difference.

I think the rape while shocking was NOT misplaced. As noted it was not uncommon and servants rarely reported them since there was going to likey be only harm to them. It's an aspect of the time which can't really be shown without showing it. It's like the maimed soldiers. Times have ugly moments and realities. Its not balanced if you leave them out.

And I second the request to Bugsy. I do my best to avoid spoilers. Please don't post them. After the season I'll read the spoiler thread.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:11 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post

I suspect in that time that the ones with unlimited funds (unlike Robert who lucked out) are the ones who found their nitch and got rich out of it. This man's wealth isn't going to be based on land and houses, but a bank account. And money could buy you social success. Maybe he sailed in like a pirate with his loot and is willing to pay well for his social position?

Old 01-14-2014, 07:38 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,427,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
That was SO rude! I'm surprised the Dowager didn't have a heart attack!
I thought was rude as well. I thought such people would have had better manners than to get up in the middle of a private performance to head to the poker table.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 PM

11,678 posts, read 12,825,095 times
I was also wondering about the guests who walked out during the performance. Anna left quietly and discreetly during the applause. The others walked out in plain sight of the singer and if I recall correctly (not sure) in the middle of her aria. Wouldn't she be offended, after being invited for a private performance, to look out at her audience and see all those empty seats?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:33 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,063,658 times
Wait, wasn't Bates cleared of the murder charges? If so, he wouldn't have the conviction on his record.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,972,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I was also wondering about the guests who walked out during the performance. Anna left quietly and discreetly during the applause. The others walked out in plain sight of the singer and if I recall correctly (not sure) in the middle of her aria. Wouldn't she be offended, after being invited for a private performance, to look out at her audience and see all those empty seats?
I believe the attitude toward a "singer" was evident in that scene. These are the privileged, I don't they cared much about the singer's response. The singer was there for them...not visa versa.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,972,526 times
I don't know if this was covered, but did anyone find it odd that the children were absent for the whole episode?

I didn't see Mary with George once. I also found it odd that Matthew's mother stayed away from Downton...even though her son's baby was there. Seems with Matthew gone the baby would become her focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV