Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 03:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,566,935 times

Advertisements

I keep thinking that Bates doesn't really, truly know that it was Green who raped Anna even though he seems to think that's who it was. At least he has no absolute proof because Anna and Mrs. Hughes so vehemently denied it. From Bate's point of view, all he has is circumstantial evidence. After all, wasn't he himself tried and convicted on circumstantial evidence. So would he go after someone based on assumption only? He knows what that is like through experience. Is he going to go after Green based on emotion only to punish him or is he going to try and find absolute proof that Green is the guilty party?

Of course, we, the audience know that Green is guilty and we sure hope Bates gets the proof he needs and beats the He$$ out him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 04:09 PM

12,905 posts, read 3,022,568 times
I'm not a fan of these upper crust British dramas. Give me British comedies any day!

Old 01-30-2014, 05:11 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,602,799 times
With some of these new characters -- the maid, the gardener -- I'm wondering if there was anything edited out of the American broadcast that explained a little more (if they're still chopping up the US version). There should be more of an explanation for Thomas's interactions with the maid.

And poor Mr. Moseley! I can so identify with him -- I've gone through a layoff, and it's very humbling. You do have to talk yourself into going after and accepting "lesser" jobs, and be very, very grateful when you get them! I know just what he's going though.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:16 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,857,565 times
You mean the new maid he has spying for him, I'm sure there's a good story to follow , she must own him a favor or something.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
With some of these new characters -- the maid, the gardener -- I'm wondering if there was anything edited out of the American broadcast that explained a little more (if they're still chopping up the US version). There should be more of an explanation for Thomas's interactions with the maid.

And poor Mr. Moseley! I can so identify with him -- I've gone through a layoff, and it's very humbling. You do have to talk yourself into going after and accepting "lesser" jobs, and be very, very grateful when you get them! I know just what he's going though.
Up until this season I had the all UK episodes recorded right off British TV on DVD's from a friend who recorded them for me off her TV and sent them over to me. I also watched the airings on PBS. I did not see anything edited out. I am curious as to which scenes you are referring. I can ask her what we are missing this season.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:05 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,349,828 times
Quote:

I think Moseley is very much like a lot of people today who never expected to be looking for any job and had done all the right things for the one they had to be secure. But then it was a time when everything was changing as this time is. Even the old stand bys are either paying a lot less or losing their demand. I'm sure Mosely would like something with a little security, but while working deliveries and road work is demeaning to him, its with others who won't hold it against him. For a trained butler to become a footman is demeaning, even though their motivations at getting him the positions are entirely motivated by kindness.

The comparison today is even closer when you look at the number of jobs vanishing becuause of technology. A warehouse doesn't need a large number of bodies to pull merchandise with one robot. There are advantages to both customer and company, but still the only humans in the chain load the boxes. Just as those new gismos like toasters and vaccumes meant convience for wives and servants, it also meant that where you needed a staff of twenty before, now you only needed ten.

I don't think anything major would have been cut, since they like to slowly peal the onion, revealing more about relationships as time goes on and keeping us guessing.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:19 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,602,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Up until this season I had the all UK episodes recorded right off British TV on DVD's from a friend who recorded them for me off her TV and sent them over to me. I also watched the airings on PBS. I did not see anything edited out. I am curious as to which scenes you are referring. I can ask her what we are missing this season.
We're surmising that the new maid (what IS her name??) got tips from Thomas on how to interact with Lady G -- that she was American and might like OJ at breakfast, and to say nice things about Sybil. It's beyond me why he's helping anyone. There just seems to be a friendship (collaboration?) between them that doesn't have a basis, such as knowing each other from working in another house.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
We're surmising that the new maid (what IS her name??) got tips from Thomas on how to interact with Lady G -- that she was American and might like OJ at breakfast, and to say nice things about Sybil. It's beyond me why he's helping anyone. There just seems to be a friendship (collaboration?) between them that doesn't have a basis, such as knowing each other from working in another house.
They said her name is Baxter. I remember from the last episode before that Thomas mentioned to either Cora or Lord G. I can't remember which but I think it was Cora, that he had someone in mind for a new lady's maid. That's all that was said about her and there she was.

Thomas wants an "in" with the upstairs people. Remember he said he tried to have that with O'Brien but although O'Brien was well-liked by the upstairs people she wasn't very popular with the downstairs people and Thomas wanted someone he could have on his side with both. I will say that this season does seem to have some sloppy writing. I can ask my UK friend if there was any more information leading up to Baxter's coming into the scene than we have been shown.

She wasn't able to send me her DVD's of season four because she was out of the country when the show was on and needed to keep them to view herself. Also, as she told me, she is losing interest in the show so she isn't paying very close attention to what is going on. She says that season four wasn't a great hit and that the rape scene especially was considered just something thrown in for sensationalism and totally unnecessary.

Now this is just one person's opinion but she feels the show is losing some popularity over there because the writing just isn't as tight as it was and things are not explained as thoroughly. I don't know about your Public Broadcasting Station, but ours shows the show from the previous week both on Friday night and then again just before the new episode on Sunday. That helps to refresh the viewer's memory on what happened leading up to the newest episode.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:35 PM

26,667 posts, read 28,904,705 times
She wasn't able to send me her DVD's of season four because she was out of the country when the show was on and needed to keep them to view herself. Also, as she told me, she is losing interest in the show so she isn't paying very close attention to what is going on. She says that season four wasn't a great hit and that the rape scene especially was considered just something thrown in for sensationalism and totally unnecessary.

That's a good description of how I felt about this past season. I guess it isn't over yet here in the US. But it seemed disconnected and devoid of any real heart or soul. Superficial. The repercussions of the rape scene may develop into something later on, I don't know. But other things that happened didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason--just thrown in. I hope they're making the next season now and that there will be some substance to it like there used to be--not just fluff.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:10 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,857,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
They said her name is Baxter. I remember from the last episode before that Thomas mentioned to either Cora or Lord G. I can't remember which but I think it was Cora, that he had someone in mind for a new lady's maid. That's all that was said about her and there she was.

Thomas wants an "in" with the upstairs people. Remember he said he tried to have that with O'Brien but although O'Brien was well-liked by the upstairs people she wasn't very popular with the downstairs people and Thomas wanted someone he could have on his side with both. I will say that this season does seem to have some sloppy writing. I can ask my UK friend if there was any more information leading up to Baxter's coming into the scene than we have been shown.

Now this is just one person's opinion but she feels the show is losing some popularity over there because the writing just isn't as tight as it was and things are not explained as thoroughly. I don't know about your Public Broadcasting Station, but ours shows the show from the previous week both on Friday night and then again just before the new episode on Sunday. That helps to refresh the viewer's memory on what happened leading up to the newest episode.

My friends in the UK have gone off it too thinking the writing would get better but didnt,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV