Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 06:52 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,170,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I didn't really enjoy last night's Downton that much because there really was too much going on in that one little 50 minute show.
I'm surprised at how many people are of this opinion and aren't enjoying a lot of this season's episodes. As far as I'm concerned, they can cram as much into the hour as possible. I'm loving every minute of it.

By the way, I love your screen name! (My surname is Hispanic, so it jumped right out at me. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,601,937 times
Quote:
I think she owes him because he fixed her up with the job, but I'm not sure 100%.
Yup, but I'm not sure how much she's really helping Thomas. Seems like she's only reluctantly an ally.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 PM

589 posts, read 1,554,698 times
I really enjoyed the simple story lines of the first season. It was refreshing to see the daily interaction and appreciate the characters' development. I think what I enjoyed most about Downton was the simplicity of living and mannerisms of the day. I agree that the latest episodes feel hurried and choppy

Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,197,647 times
Default This Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm surprised at how many people are of this opinion and aren't enjoying a lot of this season's episodes. As far as I'm concerned, they can cram as much into the hour as possible. I'm loving every minute of it.

By the way, I love your screen name! (My surname is Hispanic, so it jumped right out at me. )
Thank you so much for the kind comment about my screen name! It took me a while to come up with it, but when that name came to mind I knew it was going to be my name, no need to think further.

Sometimes I wish Downton was ninety minutes long or longer than it is, which is only 50 minutes. There really isn't that much to watch on Sunday nights and the one good show is Downton, although right after last night's Downton there was a movie called "The Making Of A Lady" and I watched it. It was very good but the story line is kind of unbelievable. A guy with a noble title meets a girl at his aunt's house. A few minutes after the aunt fires the girl (she was like her secretary) the guy proposes to girl that he hardly knows. A few minutes after that she is arriving at her new home and being addressed as "her ladyship." A fairytale, but it was interesting.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:36 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,197,647 times
Default Cora's Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Yup, but I'm not sure how much she's really helping Thomas. Seems like she's only reluctantly an ally.
I didn't like her when it appeared she was his spy, but then she grew a conscience. She kept saying that she thought Cora was a good person and didn't deserve to have someone spying and reporting on stuff. I think she is an older woman, like a spinster and they didn't fare well in those days and had few options.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 PM

42,080 posts, read 75,612,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
I think what I enjoyed most about Downton was the simplicity of living and mannerisms of the day.
Yet a changing society and how it affects the Abbey and the people around it has always been one of the show's major themes.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:07 PM

7,425 posts, read 5,532,402 times
I don't really understand the reason Thomas wants Baxter to spy on Cora and everyone else? What does he hope to accomplish? If this was in modern times I'd tell him to get a life.

I didn't mind the fast paced episode last night. I was starting to get a little bored with this season up until last night.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:26 PM

11,677 posts, read 12,818,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Pickings are about as slim as the writers want them to be - this is a story - fictional - not real.
Gee whiz, I had no idea this was fiction.

You may not have realized that this is historical fiction.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:27 PM

11,677 posts, read 12,818,544 times
How old is Isis in this last episode?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:11 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,857,565 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the kind comment about my screen name! It took me a while to come up with it, but when that name came to mind I knew it was going to be my name, no need to think further.

Sometimes I wish Downton was ninety minutes long or longer than it is, which is only 50 minutes. There really isn't that much to watch on Sunday nights and the one good show is Downton, although right after last night's Downton there was a movie called "The Making Of A Lady" and I watched it. It was very good but the story line is kind of unbelievable. A guy with a noble title meets a girl at his aunt's house. A few minutes after the aunt fires the girl (she was like her secretary) the guy proposes to girl that he hardly knows. A few minutes after that she is arriving at her new home and being addressed as "her ladyship." A fairytale, but it was interesting.
Sound like the story was taken from an old classic movie, can't remember the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV