Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,970,553 times

Advertisements

I hope they don't turn it into a movie...I can't think of one series that turned into a movie that was as good. Just because it wins an award doesn't mean that it needs to move into bigger things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,812,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Saw a few episodes last night and thought it was just a costume melodrama. I truly enjoyed Upstairs/Downstairs and thought this would be similar but it is not. Atmosphere appears off compared to the US/DS despite the production values. Appears a bit too modern in the tensions and attitudes. (An upper class woman driving a tractor in 1916?) Then again, Mr. Hudson, the Bellamys,etal just set too high a standard.

As with comparng HBO's Rome to I Claudius.

I think you are correct that much of the plot is implausible and seems too modern but that may be it’s appeal for us. I found Upstairs/Downstairs much more historically accurate but also somewhat boring.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:04 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,460,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I hope they don't turn it into a movie...I can't think of one series that turned into a movie that was as good. Just because it wins an award doesn't mean that it needs to move into bigger things.
Since they have begun work on season three I don't think there will be a movie.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:20 AM

698 posts, read 1,055,332 times
Default a few reactions to "downton abbey"...

from what i've read the third season of "downton abbey" is supposed to take place mainly in the twenties, which would place mary and matthew at least in their thirties.

regarding the war as a disruption to the plot, i agree, but wonder if the intention, in part, was to have it reflect the disruption and complete collapse of life, especialy to the upper classes, which was reality at that time.

if you haven't seen "gosford park" it's definitely worth viewing. it's very fast paced and the dialogue is difficult to understand at times, but it captures the period and the english country life extremely well. helen mirren's performance is stunning.

there is another pbs series,"testament of youth", at least 20 years+ old now, which tells a very personal story of an english nurse/volunteer during ww1. it is based on the book by vera brittain and it is her true story. i don't know if it's available at netflix, but it's very poignant and well acted. it also captures very well the complete dissolution of life as it had been known prior to the war.

finally, i think the characters in downton are more "flesh and blood" than "upstairs,downstairs", which i liked very much. it may be due to the difference in time periods when they were produced.

catsy girl

Old 01-19-2012, 04:33 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,277,244 times
Been thinking about the Thomas thing and the nephew being shot for cowdarice thing.

From the way Thomas stuck his hand up with that lighter I get the impression that was something that was a known thing to do - get a return home ticket wound that wasn't too too bad (depending on where they hit your hand or wrist). Common enough that the would itself should raise suspicion, especially on a medic when there was a lull in the action.
So why wasn't Thomas tried for cowardice?
As for Thomas taking over the hospital - I don't think he is/was a suitable candidate at all. Most military medical administrators are hardly normal soldiers. You need someone who knows medicine mand administration - precisely like a nurse. Making Thomas an acting Sergeant is not enough rank to manage the hospital, especially a hospital of officers.
I don't know much about the original sources/writers etc. but this does not seem to follow for me. War does change things but still. and Branson and the Lord let this guy back in? Hardly seems likely.
Seems more a plot device. Gotta have a couple bad people around to create tension and drama and red herrings. I love this show but tend to dislike obvious plot devices.

Mention of Upstairs/Downstairs prompted me to watch the first episode. Eh. Didn't suck me in.

Gosford park is very good.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Been thinking about the Thomas thing and the nephew being shot for cowardice thing.

From the way Thomas stuck his hand up with that lighter I get the impression that was something that was a known thing to do - get a return home ticket wound that wasn't too too bad (depending on where they hit your hand or wrist). Common enough that the would itself should raise suspicion, especially on a medic when there was a lull in the action.
As for Thomas taking over the hospital - I don't think he is/was a suitable candidate at all. Most military medical administrators are hardly normal soldiers. You need someone who knows medicine and administration - precisely like a nurse. Making Thomas an acting Sergeant is not enough rank to manage the hospital, especially a hospital of officers.
I don't know much about the original sources/writers etc. but this does not seem to follow for me. War does change things but still. and Branson and the Lord let this guy back in? Hardly seems likely.
Seems more a plot device. Gotta have a couple bad people around to create tension and drama and red herrings. I love this show but tend to dislike obvious plot devices.

Mention of Upstairs/Downstairs prompted me to watch the first episode. Eh. Didn't suck me in.

Gosford park is very good.
No one saw Thomas hold up his hand. They didn't show it but in our imaginations, we can see Thomas telling his superiors he was wounded in action.

It appears those jobs were more political than anything else. And I don't think they would have put a women (nurse) in charge.

I think they took Thomas back because he became what they thought was a war hero and redeemed himself.

Yeah, there has to be a bad guy to make it interesting.

I have never seen Gosford Park I will have to rent it.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,404,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Since they have begun work on season three I don't think there will be a movie.
Here's a fun article about a snobby historian, who is critical of the show, because it's not historically accurate - it's really kind of hysterical!

But in that article, near the end, is this on Julian Fellowes and the possibility of a movie...

Quote:
Meanwhile, Fellowes is thought to be in the early stages of writing a feature-length Downton Abbey film.

The writer reportedly spoke to directors and actors at the Golden Globe Awards about turning Downton Abbey into a motion picture after the ITV1 programme was named Best Television Mini-Series at the ceremony in Los Angeles.

A source told The Sun: 'Julian was chatting with various film directors and movie executives about the show and the possibility it would make a fantastic feature film.

' Reese Witherspoon and Meryl Streep were also seen chatting and congratulating him.

'He was very much flying the flag for British TV.

'They were all chatting about how much of a success the film version would be.

'Julian was explaining he would have to give the idea a lot of thought and that lots of people have already asked him about film rights.'

It wouldn't be the first time Julian has embarked on Hollywood after he won a Best Screenplay Oscar for his movie Gosford Park – which stars Downton's Maggie Smith – in 2002.

But Julian is currently busy in the process of creating a third series of Downton – which has become a massive hit in the US since it stated airing on the PBS channel - which is due to be set in 1920 and 1921.

Simon Schama slams Downton Abbey after Golden Globe Award win | Metro.co.uk

Old 01-19-2012, 07:38 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,379,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
No one saw Thomas hold up his hand. They didn't show it but in our imaginations, we can see Thomas telling his superiors he was wounded in action.

It appears those jobs were more political than anything else. And I don't think they would have put a women (nurse) in charge.

I think they took Thomas back because he became what they thought was a war hero and redeemed himself.

Yeah, there has to be a bad guy to make it interesting.

I have never seen Gosford Park I will have to rent it.
Sorry Minervah, but he very clearly and deliberately (on screen) held up his hand (with the cigarette lighter) to be shot. He was a coward for sure and a predictable one.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,404,413 times
Quote:
Thing is, if the aim had been slightly off, they would have missed Thomas' hand - so it was far from a sure thing - but I suppose Thomas could have kept "trying" until he finally got hit! But honestly, the fact that it required such accurate and precise aim to work, would seem to indicate it couldn't be all that common of a way to go...

Quote:
As for Thomas taking over the hospital - I don't think he is/was a suitable candidate at all. Most military medical administrators are hardly normal soldiers. You need someone who knows medicine mand administration - precisely like a nurse.
When Thomas approached the doctor at the very start of the war - it was because he wanted to do something similar to what the doctor does - as in medicine - so my assumption was that he was trained for a medic-type position? And then the story jumped ahead two years - so that would seem to indicate that Thomas had two years experience in the war, doing a medical type job.

We obviously know he's a terrible choice, based on his character - but as far as the story goes, I can see how a soldier with some medical training, who was familiar with the house, and the way it is run, might be considered to manage things.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,970,553 times
You are right. They mentioned in the kitchen before Thomas got back, that he was working in the front lines of the Medical Corp. Which the cook seemed displeased about because she like most of the people in Downton knew that Thomas was not the most genuine of people.

You do have to have a villain to keep things interesting, but I was really hoping that he wouldn't be back.

I am wondering how they will end the second season...will it leave us hanging again, and season three will jump just as far as the gap between season one and two. I guess we have quite a few episodes before we have to wait for season three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV