Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 04:16 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,444,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
I am a fan of DA and really enjoy it but I missed the xmas special. Will that be included in the first season. I don't know how I missed it, I could scream.
The Christmas Special was shown in the UK on December 25, 2011...keep in mind that Season 2 began showing there on September 18, 2011.

I read that the Christmas Special will air here in the US on February 19 (the final episode of Season 2).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 06:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,566,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Wow, spoiler alert. Anything else you would like to give away?
Calm down. I didn't give anything away. Mrs. Bates stated in the last episode "they hadn't seen the end of it." This was already being discussed here.

I was replying to someone's comment that if they hated Mrs. Bates who clearly stated in the show that the others hadn't seen the last of her, they will hate her more when she gets through.

Did you think that Mrs. B was just joking when said that?

If anyone else took this as a spoiler I apologize but I really don't think it is telling anyone anything they already were told in the episode.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:45 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,380,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Calm down. I didn't give anything away. Mrs. Bates stated in the last episode "they hadn't seen the end of it." This was already being discussed here.

I was replying to someone's comment that if they hated Mrs. Bates who clearly stated in the show that the others hadn't seen the last of her, they will hate her more when she gets through.

Did you think that Mrs. B was just joking when said that?

If anyone else took this as a spoiler I apologize but I really don't think it is telling anyone anything they already were told in the episode.
I certainly didn't see it as a spoiler. There was sufficient foreshadowing to know that more destruction from Mrs. Bates was on the way. I can only hope that she gets the comeuppance she so richly deserves. If she does (or doesn't, dammit) don't tell me!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:49 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,075,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I certainly didn't see it as a spoiler. There was sufficient foreshadowing to know that more destruction from Mrs. Bates was on the way. I can only hope that she gets the comeuppance she so richly deserves. If she does (or doesn't, dammit) don't tell me!
Yes, Mrs Bates is a nasty creature, isn't she? I also will be hoping she gets to be on the receiving end of karma!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:54 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,404,730 times
I agree, nothing posted so far in this thread has crossed into spoiler territory. And I really really hope it stays that way!

I know the show is available on DVD here in the USA, and members in the UK have already seen the episodes on broadcast TV - so I really shouldn't expect this thread to stay spoiler-free - but I enjoy this thread so much... I'm hoping!

Ideally they would decide to show season three here, at the same time, or shortly after it debuts in the UK. Then we could all discuss freely, without spoiling it for anyone!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:58 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,461,914 times
I'm a huge fan. I prefer it over anything else on TV. Love British shows on PBS. They trump any of the ridiculous American programming with its enormous emphasis on sensationalism, historically stupid humor and folly, canned laughter, and mindlessness. American shows are not interesting, lack substance, have far too more gore and violence and crime in them. Complete shame.

Love Downton Abbey.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,075,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I agree, nothing posted so far in this thread has crossed into spoiler territory. And I really really hope it stays that way!

I know the show is available on DVD here in the USA, and members in the UK have already seen the episodes on broadcast TV - so I really shouldn't expect this thread to stay spoiler-free - but I enjoy this thread so much... I'm hoping!

Ideally they would decide to show season three here, at the same time, or shortly after it debuts in the UK. Then we could all discuss freely, without spoiling it for anyone!
I know. I have some friends in the UK that would occasionally talk about the show on Facebook, etc. I would immediately hide those posts because I do not want to see the spoilers. I do wish we could be closer in our broadcast times so there is not this lag.

Was anyone else surprised they decided to kill off William? I must say that I was quite taken by surprise. Also, I do hope that Cora's American relatives show up because I can just imagine the fireworks between them and the Dowager Countess, Maggie Smith! I would imagine Cora's relatives, given their obvious wealthy and social standing in America, would not take kindly to Maggie's condescension.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I solemnly promise I will not say a word.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:09 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,380,101 times
Just as an aside, I went to see "Albert Nobbs" today and the actress who plays Mrs. Bates was in it, as a more sympathetic character (but not by much). Terrific movie, by the way. Placed in about the same period as Downton Abbey, or maybe a little earlier. Glenn Close was outstanding, as usual. Highly recommend it to any Anglophiles who love these period pieces.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Just as an aside, I went to see "Albert Nobbs" today and the actress who plays Mrs. Bates was in it, as a more sympathetic character (but not by much). Terrific movie, by the way. Placed in about the same period as Downton Abbey, or maybe a little earlier. Glenn Close was outstanding, as usual. Highly recommend it to any Anglophiles who love these period pieces.
I have never heard of it. It sounds great. Onto the list it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV