Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 03:20 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,066,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I love this show, but could have done without this ridiculous story line. I kept looking at Patrick's Monty Python-esque bandaging and wanted to laugh. And then as suddenly as he appeared he was gone. What was the point?
Oh well - I still love the series and will continue watching.
Oh, I so agree about the bandaging; I just wanted to fix it the whole time I was watching it. I have a somewhat different point of view as to why this "Patrick" was introduced in this episode. I think it served to highlight Edith's near desperation to have someone, anyone. Really, his story wasn't even remotely believable and she was ready to have him declared heir, marry him, and have his children! Remember how she was with the farmer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 04:12 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,371,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I love this show, but could have done without this ridiculous story line. I kept looking at Patrick's Monty Python-esque bandaging and wanted to laugh. And then as suddenly as he appeared he was gone. What was the point?
Oh well - I still love the series and will continue watching.

Totally agree about this. What was the point other than obviously he will reappear somewhere down the line. But what a lame episode. Although I really liked how Lady Cora and the Dowager got rid of Isabelle.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,106,995 times
Good show.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:56 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,265,490 times
Who believes Patrick is really Patrick? You can learn a lot about someones life when your in a foxhole....seems like at least his voice would be the same. I don't think I would forget what someone sounded like.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 PM

509 posts, read 1,265,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Did anyone else find the scenes with Lord Grantham and the new maid interesting? And that Lord Grantham was also shown pouting when Cora couldn't eat lunch with him. Perhaps the writers are inferring he can't be without female companionship.

So, if Cora becomes an invalid (perhaps that's why her mother comes to Downton in Season 3), will there be an affair with the maid resulting in a male heir? Or does Cora die, he marries the maid and her 12 year old son becomes the heir?

I caught that vibe right away. I don't know how it will happen but I think it just might go that way. When Mr. Carson went into the dining room when Lord Grantham was eating and she was there, it was obvious to me that he was breaking something apart, like a connection between the Lord and the maid. I would think it would be quite sad if it does happen because he seems to love Cora very much, but I think there might just be something there.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,542,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Oh, I so agree about the bandaging; I just wanted to fix it the whole time I was watching it. I have a somewhat different point of view as to why this "Patrick" was introduced in this episode. I think it served to highlight Edith's near desperation to have someone, anyone. Really, his story wasn't even remotely believable and she was ready to have him declared heir, marry him, and have his children! Remember how she was with the farmer?
Wow, I never thought of it that way. You and the others who didn't believe him have a good point, they should have recognized at least his voice. And it was convenient for him to show up at that particular convalescent facility. I guess I just wasn't thinking about the logic of the situation.

So do you think he left because he felt the *** was up?

Poor Edith, I think she is desperate to find a man. Being in between two beautiful sisters must make her feel a bit more plain. And to make matters worse, she can't just go out and find any man to marry. It has to be someone of her station. So if he could convince everyone he was her social equal she could have had him.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,414,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
As for the miraculous recovery from paralysis, I was surprised that they were so quick to write him off in the first place. Once the tissue began to heal, and the bruising went down, it seemed very possible that he might gain some feeling back - and in time, maybe walk again.
I think back in those days they didn't know as much about paralysis and nerve regeneration. They may very well have thought he wouldn't walk again, not knowing much about nerve damage. As someone who has suffered from some nerve damage in the past(nothing so serious as spinal cord injury) I can say I my experience there was no improvement for quite a while and then, several month later, bam!, it all came back very quickly as the nerves regrew and connected. That may happen with Matthew.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:52 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,371,683 times
Something is going to happen with Lord G and the new maid. No doubt. It was way too obvious. Cora runs off saying she is too busy and he shares a laugh with a maid. Hhhmm...

I'd like someone to give O'Brien a bit of her own medicine.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,542,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Minervah, try this. It worked two minutes ago.
Downton Abbey on Spike TV | SNL
Thank you! It's still working. Very funny. I love the "My other car is a bike." I have actually seen bumper stickers that say this in Portland.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,966,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Something is going to happen with Lord G and the new maid. No doubt. It was way too obvious. Cora runs off saying she is too busy and he shares a laugh with a maid. Hhhmm...

I'd like someone to give O'Brien a bit of her own medicine.
I agree! I just watched the episode again, and he is more interested in her than she is in him...but it is like they are becoming more than boss and maid. He doesn't get a lot of support from his wife I guess, so she is neutral enough? Will be an interesting spin. I really dislike O'Brien too. She is one very unhappy old lady. Well, I guess there are quite a few unhappy people in the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV