Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,568,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
True but then again this is what contributed to his change of heart concerning his daughter Sybil and the Chauffeur Branson!
By the way, I am the only one who does not like the chauffeur for Sybil? Something tells me that he doesn't really love her and that she is more like an class warfare "trophy" for him than a true love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 01:37 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,048,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
By the way, I am the only one who does not like the chauffeur for Sybil? Something tells me that he doesn't really love her and that she is more like an class warfare "trophy" for him than a true love.
I feel the same way!! I was quite disappointed that she fell for him as I think he is less interested in her personally and more interested in how he can help to destroy the class structure he hates so much by marrying her. Remember, he's the same guy that was not bothered and even a bit happy that the Czar Nicholas' family was killed.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:44 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,332,447 times
Agree, the chauffeur does not seem sincere and seems to have an agenda

also believe Mary will go through rough times but will put the whup on Sir Richard when the time comes. She has her head on her shoulders for the times in which she lives, the problem is times are changing and I htink she will adjust and come out well

Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,332,447 times
can i change my mind about the chauffeur? episode i just saw seems that he does care

Old 02-19-2012, 08:48 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,360,378 times
Good Lord!! I am so tired of the Mary/Mathew angst!! Get on with it already!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,389,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
If she really was just a trophy, they would have had to stay near Downton Abbey, or at least in England, for him to get the full benefit. But they went to Ireland, where no one will know her, and she will be just a well-spoken young girl, who intends to work. I just don't see that being the case - I think he does love her.

As for why she was attracted to him, in addition to the obvious - he's the right age, and fairly good looking - he also offered her a life where she would be treated "more" like an equal than any other man in her life would be willing to offer. She's a practical girl, and I think she realized that if she wanted a life where she got to "do" things, and not just sit on the sidelines looking pretty - she had to find a man who would appreciate that part of her - and he does.

Overall I think it's a good match!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:22 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,389,798 times
I wonder why PBS made the last two episodes two hours? I really enjoyed them, but now it's over - and if they had given us one hour episodes instead, we'd still have two more weeks of fun... Oh well.

I cried when William's father asked Daisy if she would be his daughter. And I was so glad that Violet told Daisy that if anything, she was being loving when she chose to marry William and make him happy at the end. It would be a wonderful thing if Daisy could get over her guilt for not being romantically attracted to William, and instead focus on the fact that she did indeed love him as a friend - and that is often enough. Her world is so black and white, she can't see that sometimes it's okay to live in the grey areas.

Poor Edith, she had about two minutes of screen time. Maybe next season she'll get to live a little.

So glad that Mary finally broke it off with Richard, and so glad that her father finally knows the secret. I could understand not telling him back when it happened, but so much has changed since then, and it was years ago - and he's a different man than he was before the war. It was definitely time to tell him.

And the ending - with Matthew and Mary finally deciding that they are meant to be together? And all the beautiful swirling snowflakes, as he proposed. Just the perfect ending for the season!

And next season? We've got Cora's mother from America to look forward to! And the Bates and Anna story line is still a mess. And I'm sure Matthew and Mary's march toward the aisle will be far from problem free. I'm hoping that Richard decides to act like a grownup and lets the "big" story die - but who knows if he's capable of doing that? And we have Thomas still in the same place he was in episode one - wanting more, but never really getting it for very long. And we're now in the 1920's, so we'll start seeing some new fun fashions!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,430,636 times
I agree with many of the posts regarding the final/Christmas episode. And I have one thing to say myself...finally, FINALLY Mary and Matthew are going to be together as a couple. BUT...after all the emotional turmoil, do we really expect smooth sailing? Probably not. So what does Season 3 have in store for us? I can't wait!!!

As an aside, I must say that I enjoy Maggie Smith more and more with each episode...her sarcastic little barbs totally crack me up.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,241,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
If she really was just a trophy, they would have had to stay near Downton Abbey, or at least in England, for him to get the full benefit. But they went to Ireland, where no one will know her, and she will be just a well-spoken young girl, who intends to work. I just don't see that being the case - I think he does love her.

As for why she was attracted to him, in addition to the obvious - he's the right age, and fairly good looking - he also offered her a life where she would be treated "more" like an equal than any other man in her life would be willing to offer. She's a practical girl, and I think she realized that if she wanted a life where she got to "do" things, and not just sit on the sidelines looking pretty - she had to find a man who would appreciate that part of her - and he does.

Overall I think it's a good match!
With no reliable birth control and being in Ireland I suspect doing things would soon become raising baby after baby

Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 AM

29,766 posts, read 34,491,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I feel the same way!! I was quite disappointed that she fell for him as I think he is less interested in her personally and more interested in how he can help to destroy the class structure he hates so much by marrying her. Remember, he's the same guy that was not bothered and even a bit happy that the Czar Nicholas' family was killed.
The pacing of their relationship was weird. They were really cute together during the first season. Then it skipped two years and Branson proposes right before Sybil went to nursing school, so obviously something happened in the gap to encourage him. Then...nothing during the war besides some boring conversations in the garage, then the war ended and and they're all fiery passionate about each other again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV