Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 PM

606 posts, read 905,015 times

Advertisements

It's fun to read this thread and watch everyone speculate about season 3. I'm not patient enough to wait so I've already watched it since it's already aired in the UK. I'm excited there will be a season 4 though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,230,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
It's fun to read this thread and watch everyone speculate about season 3. I'm not patient enough to wait so I've already watched it since it's already aired in the UK. I'm excited there will be a season 4 though!
So you get my inside amusements, then? I've seen it also but was frantic when I could find episode... whatever came next a couple of weeks ago. Only to discover it was done, excepting for the year end special. I'll watch it again when it fires up in January.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
So you get my inside amusements, then? I've seen it also but was frantic when I could find episode... whatever came next a couple of weeks ago. Only to discover it was done, excepting for the year end special. I'll watch it again when it fires up in January.
I totally understand. I'll also be rewatching again in January. Then maybe I can participate more in this thread without worrying I'm giving something away. Kudos to everyone with patiences to wait though!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,297,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Um, it's Shirley MacLaine playing her mother, not Debbie Reynolds.
Oops. Should wait to post til I'm awake. I think I was thinking of the widow Debbie Renolds played in HTWWW, as the household was being sold off. She was a tough old bird. I think the family matriarc would be equal competition.

Somehow Shirley ManLaine sounds perfect for the American dowager...

And yes, Angela Lansbury did talk a lot. I'd say she even gushed like a trekie who got to meet Nimoy for the first time. I LOVED it, not hosting as the actress or a pro but a FAN.

They had the two season set on sale in a special edition on Amazon today. Saved a bunch. I'm going to try to lure in my sil before January. And I'm SO tempted to get season three on preorder.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I totally understand. I'll also be rewatching again in January. Then maybe I can participate more in this thread without worrying I'm giving something away. Kudos to everyone with patiences to wait though!
I have to admit the preorder of the discs really really is calling to me. I really hope pbs shows it fully, without taking out stuff for time. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the Upstairs Downstairs discs so I can see them all over in full this time.

Poldark, sadly, is the edited, broadcast version so the origional is lost.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I have to admit the preorder of the discs really really is calling to me. I really hope pbs shows it fully, without taking out stuff for time. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the Upstairs Downstairs discs so I can see them all over in full this time.

Poldark, sadly, is the edited, broadcast version so the origional is lost.
You could always watch them online. I haven't watched Upstairs Downstairs yet but I plan to start soon.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
You could always watch them online. I haven't watched Upstairs Downstairs yet but I plan to start soon.
I used to have a library of video tape of the shows I loved most dearly which didn't make it in a move, and have been recreating them. When some alternative to cable to get local news and emergency coverage is found, I'd switch to watching the oldies I love and not paying for the hundred channels I've never watched. The reception here is iffy and I really want to see human beings tell me where the storm is going.

The first thing I thought of when season one of Downton Abbey started was Upstairs, Downstairs. It started seven years earlier, but that sense of walking into a time capsule was the same. The new series was not quite the old, but the second season (the last five) I really liked. Just as WW2 becomes real to the population, there is a sense that the world was about to utterly change.

Call the Midwife would be a good followup for both. In a way Poldark could also be the prequal.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM

11,658 posts, read 12,746,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I used to have a library of video tape of the shows I loved most dearly which didn't make it in a move, and have been recreating them. When some alternative to cable to get local news and emergency coverage is found, I'd switch to watching the oldies I love and not paying for the hundred channels I've never watched. The reception here is iffy and I really want to see human beings tell me where the storm is going.

The first thing I thought of when season one of Downton Abbey started was Upstairs, Downstairs. It started seven years earlier, but that sense of walking into a time capsule was the same. The new series was not quite the old, but the second season (the last five) I really liked. Just as WW2 becomes real to the population, there is a sense that the world was about to utterly change.

Call the Midwife would be a good followup for both. In a way Poldark could also be the prequal.
I loved this post and I concur. I thought that DA is the 21st century of Upstairs Downstairs for a new generation. I love it but it's much less realistic than the first Upstairs/Downstairs where the 2 classes kept their places and as Hudson and Lady Marjorie would say "standards must be maintained." None of this interweaving of the 2 classes as they do on Downton. I also liked Upstairs/Downstairs 2 to some extent. Pity it was cancelled.

I have the uncut Poldark episodes on VHS. If only I knew someone who had the equipment and knowledge to transfer them.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,190,791 times
funny recap in 5 minutes of first 2 seasons plus more great videos

MASTERPIECE Downton Abbey: Official Seasons 1 & 2 Recap (Season 3 starts Jan. 6th on PBS) - YouTube

Old 12-05-2012, 04:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,496,838 times
Quote:
I admit it. I have no patience either. My friend in the UK sent me copies of season three and I spent a rainy weekend watching the entire thing.

It did not disappoint. I will watch again when it is broadcast over PBS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV