Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 03:36 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,424,760 times

Advertisements

What really surprised me is when Mr. Gordon showed up. Yes, he had a "US/Canadian accent" and it sounded so off to me. I am an American born and raised but I was so used to hearing the UK accent during my two season marathon that his just sounded odd to me. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 04:51 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,437,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
In season two, when Sir Richard and Matthew were onscreen at the same time, I just didn't know where to look. Such beautiful men! Matthew is a bit more swoonworthy though...
I have a thing for Bates.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,535,068 times
I can't wait for series 3! Something nice to look forward to after the holidays.
I just saw online that they expect approval for a 4th series any day now.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 AM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I just finished the first disc of Upstairs, Downstairs and I love it. Very much like Downton Abbey. Any other suggestions for miniseries kinda like those two?
I was going to watch the first episode on the instant streaming and ended up watching the whole first season. I love it! I watched on netflix, and can get the discs, but am in such a big hurry now... don't want to read too far ahead and 'spoil'.

One person commented that Hulu had season two streaming. If this the same BBC versions as on netflix or it this the masterpiece edited ones? Are the amazon episodes bbc?

And yes, this made me think completely of Upstairs, Downstairs. As netflix has them on streaming now I think I may need a refresher.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 AM

I signed up for Hulu plus and watched up to episode 7. Two more to go.

I am wondering if these are edited or not. The first was over an hour. The rest 52 minutes. Might get the discs anyway.

Bad part of a marathon is the new season won't be broadcast for a month.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:51 AM

26,667 posts, read 28,928,945 times
There's something on tonight, Sunday. I think it's a review and a little bit of a preview of what's going to happen next season. It's a strange time to have it though--I need the review right before the show, not NOW. Of course I'll watch tonight anyway.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:04 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,252,507 times
8:00 p.m. EST (1.5 hours with repeat following)

Downton Abbey Revisited
Quote:
Behind-the-scenes
With behind-the-scenes footage and in-depth cast interviews, a look is taken at some of the most memorable moments from the show's first and second seasons; special preview footage gives viewers an advanced look at the upcoming season.

Season3 of DA will be satisfying, entertaining, sometimes shocking, sad, and/or amusing.

For comments above about streaming Season2 of Downton Abbey and UP/DownStairs, I have found that if the stream is from ITV (the Brit station) there may be some extra footage that U.S. viewers aren't going to see. It's not going to make any difference to the program but may just be some incidental scene in passing.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:47 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,286,209 times
I decided to watch again the DA Season One Marathon on PBS Thursday. We at a very late Thanksgiving dinner. My husband has fallen in love with DA and we're watching Upstairs on Netflix. Usually, he only likes documentaries (Ken Burns especially). Upstairs was my introduction to PBS when it came out in the 70's.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I decided to watch again the DA Season One Marathon on PBS Thursday. We at a very late Thanksgiving dinner. My husband has fallen in love with DA and we're watching Upstairs on Netflix. Usually, he only likes documentaries (Ken Burns especially). Upstairs was my introduction to PBS when it came out in the 70's.
A further netflix reccomendation for him.

To the Ends of the Earth is about a young nairve British nobleman who boards an old ship for his journey to Australia during the War of 1812. It's awesome. I ended up sitting there and watching the whole thing in one sitting.

Also the bbc production shown on pbs of Little Dorrit. Both are wonderful windows into that world. I think those who like historical documentaries like Ken Burns does are fundamentally interested in the picture of other times.

It's amazing to think of the change which happened in the early twentyth century, where poor people were glad to be servants and considered it a lucky life compared to the rest of what was offered, or the farm. And while history tells us that WW1's chief casualty was the world that created it, its shows like Upstairs and this one which show how that reached down even to the dreams of kitchen maids.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,424,760 times
I love the fact that Shirley Maclaine is joining the cast as Lady Cora's American mother. I expect lots of hilarity between her and Dame Maggie Smith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV