Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 05:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,576,188 times

Advertisements

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oh rats! The one day I don't watch.....I wonder if it can be seen online.
Yes, on ABC.com.

I've never watched it but immediately checked. Love the story of the chinese tourist!

I couldn't figure how to do full screen, thought.

And why did was the blonde dressed like Uhura in her trekie uniform?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,215,534 times
im still catching up with season 2 and I sincerly hope that Lady Mary does not marry that carilisle charecter he seems downright nasty and controlling . I cannot believe Cora would sacrifice her own daughters happiness just to get grandkids ... I hate to say this but im glad bates 's wife is dead . Now maybe he will be happy for once with anna . I cannot believe that poor maid that has the baby . I cannot imagine what she is going through in that time period women simply did not have kids without being married ... I love this series and cannot wait for no 3 starting in january .

Old 12-17-2012, 02:52 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,424,760 times
Just a reminder that the series begins over again starting tonight on PBS. We'll see episode 1, season 1.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,673,235 times
I started watching it recently and don't really know exactly how much I've missed of what's been on PBS. I knew Mary shouldn't trust Carlisle early on. But in some ways, she is her own greatest enemy. Women have always had children out of wedlock. Usually not socially acceptable in many segments of society back in the old days. But since birth control was seldom available, people had to find ways of dealing with that. I feel sorry for the servants back then. So many must have found it very difficult to marry and have children. I didn't see the show listed on PBS for tonight, but some was on yesterday.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,077,636 times
When does the new season start again (in US)?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,301,515 times
I started watching this series last night on my new Kindle. I'm hooked after 3 episodes. Glad I can watch it as I wish.

My Kindle says I'm watching the "original, unedited UK version". Does anyone know what the difference is between that and BBCA?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 AM

7,429 posts, read 5,536,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
When does the new season start again (in US)?
January 6th. I had not watched this series but had to catch up Sunday when they had a season 1 and 2 marathon. But I missed some of the episodes from season one. I really am hooked on this show and look forward to Shirley McClaine's character going toe to toe with Maggie Smith's character.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:05 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,077,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
January 6th. I had not watched this series but had to catch up Sunday when they had a season 1 and 2 marathon. But I missed some of the episodes from season one. I really am hooked on this show and look forward to Shirley McClaine's character going toe to toe with Maggie Smith's character.
Thanks! Oh I am quite looking forward to that. I absolutely love Maggie Smith in this role and I suspect her scenes with Shirley MacClaine will be the highlight.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:15 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im still catching up with season 2 and I sincerly hope that Lady Mary does not marry that carilisle charecter he seems downright nasty and controlling . I cannot believe Cora would sacrifice her own daughters happiness just to get grandkids ... I hate to say this but im glad bates 's wife is dead . Now maybe he will be happy for once with anna . I cannot believe that poor maid that has the baby . I cannot imagine what she is going through in that time period women simply did not have kids without being married ... I love this series and cannot wait for no 3 starting in january .
I think that's one of the incredable lures of this show. It's not our world. But its also one in transition. and men like Mary's intended have gained acceptance because they have money. It's much the same with other shows like Upstairs, Downstairs, where much of the story is set in the same time period.

I don't see it at all unusual that Cora would push for her daughter marrying money. After all, she married status. She was one of the daughters of the new Amercian rich who was married off to create new ties. This happened alot with the 'american gentry' with money and especially British gentry without funds. It was looked upon as a win win. Cora had to get used to it being that way so no doubt she sees it in much the same vein with Mary.

One recuring theme of the time seems to be that women rarely married for love, of any class.

Stay tuned on Bates..

The maid was one of many, as servant girls were fair game, and there never would have been a marriage. Socially that was all behind the curtain. Not sure where you are but won't spoil.

I loaned my disc to my sil. She's watching them for the second time. I want them back in time for a marathon leading up to the new season....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV