Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,720,665 times

Advertisements

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings ladies, Dan Stevens aka Matthew Crawley is leaving Downton Abbey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,252,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings ladies, Dan Stevens aka Matthew Crawley is leaving Downton Abbey.
I wouldn't be surprised. In Season 3 he and Lady Mary
Spoiler
and they
Spoiler
so it could lead to
Spoiler
Maybe they'll give us a hint of that in the Christmas Special in a couple of weeks. Remember his injuries from WWI.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Assuming the copies on Hulu are not edited, I've now seen up to the end of season two, and its Christmas show. I was very dissapointed my dvr didn't record the retrospective on pbs but pbs seems to have its schedule messed up and I got Jonny Carson instead.

Anyone know if pbs had any interesting tidbits in the show?

I'm looking forward to season three, though I don't like that tidbit... lots of interesting possiblities there.

If pbs is editing I may fork out money to dl it on amazon with the bbc episodes unedited.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:25 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,286,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
A further netflix reccomendation for him.

To the Ends of the Earth is about a young nairve British nobleman who boards an old ship for his journey to Australia during the War of 1812. It's awesome. I ended up sitting there and watching the whole thing in one sitting.

Also the bbc production shown on pbs of Little Dorrit. Both are wonderful windows into that world. I think those who like historical documentaries like Ken Burns does are fundamentally interested in the picture of other times.

It's amazing to think of the change which happened in the early twentyth century, where poor people were glad to be servants and considered it a lucky life compared to the rest of what was offered, or the farm. And while history tells us that WW1's chief casualty was the world that created it, its shows like Upstairs and this one which show how that reached down even to the dreams of kitchen maids.
Thanks for the info nightbird. We will check out your recommendations on netflix when we finish USDS. Julian Fellowes is going to write and produce a period drama, The Gilded Age, for NBC It's described as set in late 19th century New York about leaders of the American Renaissance, and the great amounts of money they made and spent. I read the Fellowes (his niece authored) book on DA. It's very interesting with lots of pictures.

Downton Abbey Creator Julian Fellowes Developing Period Drama For NBC

Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,282,193 times
I watched the PBS thing and while of interest to die hard fans I don't think you missed much. Lots of talky talky by Angela Lansbury, repeat scenes and a very few scenes from season 3.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Assuming the copies on Hulu are not edited, I've now seen up to the end of season two, and its Christmas show. I was very dissapointed my dvr didn't record the retrospective on pbs but pbs seems to have its schedule messed up and I got Jonny Carson instead.

Anyone know if pbs had any interesting tidbits in the show?

I'm looking forward to season three, though I don't like that tidbit... lots of interesting possiblities there.

If pbs is editing I may fork out money to dl it on amazon with the bbc episodes unedited.
I think the only really revealing item of interest was the financial problems but presented no idea as to the resolution. The tidbit was presented partly in describing the relationships between the characters and the Lord guy (Bonneville) doing a bit of a whiney thing in his pajamas. It won't be resolved right away and contentions will continue. Mostly to do with personal moralities. But that's what the show is about anyway.

And yeah, Angela Lansbury did do a lot of chattering.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Thanks for the info nightbird. We will check out your recommendations on netflix when we finish USDS. Julian Fellowes is going to write and produce a period drama, The Gilded Age, for NBC It's described as set in late 19th century New York about leaders of the American Renaissance, and the great amounts of money they made and spent. I read the Fellowes (his niece authored) book on DA. It's very interesting with lots of pictures.

Downton Abbey Creator Julian Fellowes Developing Period Drama For NBC
This sounds awesome. I only hope NBC keeps its paws off of it and doesn't assume cancellation if it doesn't appeal to the reality show addicts who don't do intelligent.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM

They showed the teaser show tonight. I find myself wondering what is going to come of that scene where Sir Richard tearfully explains that they lost most of their money. I would guess maintaining something like that would cost a lot. Should be most interesting.

They were doing pledge breaks too, and for a goodly sum you got all three seasons dvd's... Amazon says season three will be released December 29. Sooooo tempting....

Can't wait to see Debbie Renolds as her mom, remembering way back when she was in How the West Was Won as a very young woman.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,381,725 times
Quote:
They showed the teaser show tonight. I find myself wondering what is going to come of that scene where Sir Richard tearfully explains that they lost most of their money. I would guess maintaining something like that would cost a lot. Should be most interesting.

They were doing pledge breaks too, and for a goodly sum you got all three seasons dvd's... Amazon says season three will be released December 29. Sooooo tempting....

Can't wait to see Debbie Renolds as her mom, remembering way back when she was in How the West Was Won as a very young woman.
Um, it's Shirley MacLaine playing her mother, not Debbie Reynolds.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Um, it's Shirley MacLaine playing her mother, not Debbie Reynolds.
That presents a fun idea. Add Debbie Reynolds to the show as an American aunt. Have her come visit with Shirley MacLaine - as sisters. The timing would be useful...

Reynolds could turn Downton Abbey into a night club.
MacLaine could work it as a brothel.

Wouldn't be difficult, the place has already been a convalescent center.

The rest would be history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV