Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 08:38 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,015,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I so agree!! She's boring, snobby, and kind of plain if you ask me. Edith is much more interesting, but she's not an heiress. I get the impression that Mary is supposed to be more interesting to men, and not just because of her money, but I don't get it. I guess that's because I'm a woman.
All the guys I work with are in love with Lady Mary. They said she is good "wife material", pretty, smart and confident. To me, Edith comes off as desperate and insecure. I hate when she gets that pained expression on her face.

I really hope Branson gets into politics like Mrs. Crawley is encouraging him to do. That way he could finally find his place in the world. But I don't think his politics will make Lord Grantham happy!

Can't wait for Paul Giamatti to make his appearance next week!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,221,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Well my DVR missed more than just a couple of minutes!

The previews were of the coming out so there must be quite a jump in time because I think someone said something about Rose coming out next spring? Wasn't the bazaar in summer?
Speaking of which all the men wear jackets and England doesn't often get that warm and I would think that those big old stone castles could be quite drafty - and yet the younger woman, Mary, Edith, always seem to be in sleeveless, short sleeves, fairly gossamer stuff - I always think they must be cold!

I wonder if they'll just leave us to wonder about Bates, it could have been an accident afterall. I do hope Mary and Anna just let it lie.

I think Mary is being presented as more sympathetic this season. I like her better now, I didn't like her in the first couple of seasons but I think that is the way she is being portrayed. In the earlier seasons she was not nearly as open minded. Matthew had, or we are supposed to think he had, a positive effect on her, as perhaps being a mother and a widow. She's nicer now that she's more mature.

Edith- I agree, it seems like God does not want you happy! That woman has yet to get a break.

Poor Granny, no one seems to care that she is thinking a lot about death.

Last, the Ralph Lauren ads are so irritating 'First I create a woman" yes, Anna Karenina "Then I create a world" uh huh, 19th century Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
My DVR did the same thing, and that's never happened before. It must have run long with the different commercial by the designer at the beginning of the show.

I tried to watch Upstairs/Downstairs too, and could not get into it.

Same here. I was shocked at how much my DVR didn't record! It seemed like 1/2 the episode! I love the dialogs between Mrs Crawley and the Dowager.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:16 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,600,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
All the guys I work with are in love with Lady Mary. They said she is good "wife material", pretty, smart and confident. To me, Edith comes off as desperate and insecure. I hate when she gets that pained expression on her face.

I really hope Branson gets into politics like Mrs. Crawley is encouraging him to do. That way he could finally find his place in the world. But I don't think his politics will make Lord Grantham happy!

Ooh, Is he Cora's brother? I missed previews.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post

Edith does come off that way, but only because she has always been in Mary's shadow. I was hoping the producers would let her come out of her shell more and be more like Sybil, but this is more realistic.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,355,427 times
Is it just me or is Cora behaving rather, um, wifty this season? She seems to be acting a bit "goofy". And her facial expressions go along with the goofy things coming out of her mouth. She always seems like she is stoned all the time.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:30 PM

6,481 posts, read 6,693,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Is it just me or is Cora behaving rather, um, wifty this season? She seems to be acting a bit "goofy". And her facial expressions go along with the goofy things coming out of her mouth. She always seems like she is stoned all the time.
Cora's facial expressions are one of the most annoying things on the whole show. I noticed it the very first time I watched Downton Abby. She CONSTANTLY does this thing where she tips her head down then looks up with only her eyes.

Other than that, I like the show.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:35 PM

Cora has been like that all along. You may be noticing it more because she's had more screen time lately (at least it seems that way).

Old 02-19-2014, 05:52 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,669,843 times
The actress who plays Cora is just a terrible actress, IMO. I've seen her in other roles where she portrayed very different characters in exactly the same way that she portrays Cora. She's a one-trick pony.

I had trouble getting through the first season between her excruciatingly bad acting and the fact that Fellowes ripped off several storylines and characters from Upstairs Downstairs.

I think Fellowes is overrated. I hope he does a better job with the American version, The Gilded Age.

I still watch DA but frankly I find the sets and wardrobe more interesting than the plot. One exception is Maggie Smith's character which is excellent.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,281,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Same here. I was shocked at how much my DVR didn't record! It seemed like 1/2 the episode! I love the dialogs between Mrs Crawley and the Dowager.
My dvr went by the guide and recorded an hour and eighteen minues, not all DA but over an hour of it. My pbs station shows numerous repeats so I assume lots of people will watch one of them.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,418,445 times
I saw whole Season so had to delete a little slip ..yes Harry is Cora's brother..Giamati..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV