Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 08:41 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,163,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Cora's facial expressions are one of the most annoying things on the whole show. I noticed it the very first time I watched Downton Abby. She CONSTANTLY does this thing where she tips her head down then looks up with only her eyes.

Other than that, I like the show.
I noticed her expressions, too - sometimes it is funny to watch. I do like her voice though, very soothing and comforting. Could you ever imagine Cora yelling at her girls to behave, clean up, or whatever else a mom yells at her kids to do? Or even yelling at Robert? She never raises her voice...EVER! Jimmy Fallon has a few Downton Abbey parodies on youtube and Brooke Shields plays Cora. Brooke Shields does a perfect imitation of Elizabeth McGovern playing Cora - she does the wide eyes, the head tilt, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 12:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I noticed her expressions, too - sometimes it is funny to watch. I do like her voice though, very soothing and comforting. Could you ever imagine Cora yelling at her girls to behave, clean up, or whatever else a mom yells at her kids to do? Or even yelling at Robert? She never raises her voice...EVER! Jimmy Fallon has a few Downton Abbey parodies on youtube and Brooke Shields plays Cora. Brooke Shields does a perfect imitation of Elizabeth McGovern playing Cora - she does the wide eyes, the head tilt, etc.
I can see her putting on a nice face and speaking carefully, but she's also very skilled behind the scenes and manipulating Robert. Considere she came there ther daughter of first generation American wealth, and would have had to learn the acceptable ways to find a place other than as a money bride. And customs and attitudes were very different there especially in the country areas, and even small things like how you folded your napkin mattered. I think she learned what she had and just keeps the rest under the veil as it were. But while Cora is extremely well behaved, moreso than her daughters, she is perfectly willing to insist with Robert and get her way. Her daughters are sometimes rebellious, but they are native born so its one thing. If Cora acted that way, then she'd be the American.

The trophy brides who married gentry and exchanged money for titles must have had a very difficult adjustment and been under great scrutiny before they were socially accepted. Now the money...

Old 02-20-2014, 12:47 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Edith does come off that way, but only because she has always been in Mary's shadow. I was hoping the producers would let her come out of her shell more and be more like Sybil, but this is more realistic.
She did a bit by becoming a writer, but the plot never really developed any potential for Edith to become a bona fide working girl - which I think would have been a great story for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
The actress who plays Cora is just a terrible actress, IMO.
I don't think she's terrible, but her voice inflections annoy me a bit. At least she's consistent.

The acting quirk I really dislike is the smirk Mary often employs at the ends of sentences, especially she she's trying to claim superiority over another person.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
She did a bit by becoming a writer, but the plot never really developed any potential for Edith to become a bona fide working girl - which I think would have been a great story for her.

I don't think she's terrible, but her voice inflections annoy me a bit. At least she's consistent.

The acting quirk I really dislike is the smirk Mary often employs at the ends of sentences, especially she she's trying to claim superiority over another person.
I thought perhaps Edith would be put in charge of the pigs!

Old 02-20-2014, 12:56 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
If Mr. Green raped one maid, surely he raped others. It is just as likely someone in London offed him to avenge a different maid's rape.

Maybe Mr. Bates was in York buying a present for Anna.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:40 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,042,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
If Mr. Green raped one maid, surely he raped others. It is just as likely someone in London offed him to avenge a different maid's rape.

Maybe Mr. Bates was in York buying a present for Anna.
Hmmmm...good point. It would throw the viewers off since so many of us thought Bates might be involved somehow. I thought maybe Bates hired someone.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:22 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,163,582 times
Default Cora

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I can see her putting on a nice face and speaking carefully, but she's also very skilled behind the scenes and manipulating Robert. Considere she came there ther daughter of first generation American wealth, and would have had to learn the acceptable ways to find a place other than as a money bride. And customs and attitudes were very different there especially in the country areas, and even small things like how you folded your napkin mattered. I think she learned what she had and just keeps the rest under the veil as it were. But while Cora is extremely well behaved, moreso than her daughters, she is perfectly willing to insist with Robert and get her way. Her daughters are sometimes rebellious, but they are native born so its one thing. If Cora acted that way, then she'd be the American.

The trophy brides who married gentry and exchanged money for titles must have had a very difficult adjustment and been under great scrutiny before they were socially accepted. Now the money...
Oh, yes, I do remember some "strong arming" she did on Robert at times during the earlier episodes now. It is great that Robert and Cora did fall in love with each other over time, but like you were saying it is a difficult adjustment that I think not all the money brides were able to do and also their husbands probably did not end up loving them even though they were married till death. The husband probably had lots of mistresses and just used the American "Money" bride for her wealth to keep up his estate and bear his heirs. She would of known what she got herself into anyway and thought a title and position would be more important than love.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:14 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,619,556 times
Hmmm,Mr Green, anyway that Anna could have run him over?

Old 02-21-2014, 11:26 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
If Bates had anything to do with Green's death it's gonna be through an accomplice. He'll be under evryone's suspicions at the house, but never proven. The show might let us in on how Bates got one of his blokes in London to do it.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
If Bates had anything to do with Green's death it's gonna be through an accomplice. He'll be under evryone's suspicions at the house, but never proven. The show might let us in on how Bates got one of his blokes in London to do it.
But if Bates hired a hit on Green, he would have stayed at the Abbey in order to have an alibi, rather than mysteriously taking the day off to go to "York".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV