Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 07:38 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,163,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Rose and the bandleader met a few episodes ago when she and Edith were in London staying with the aunt. Rose was dancing with some guy who was drunk and inappropriate, and the bandleader "rescued" her. They obviously kept in touch.
I remember now the fight that broke out but I completely forgot about Rose meeting the bandleader at the time. Thanks for the reminder! Rose is very much a free spirit and she is the writers' flapper in residence. I was thinking that Rose is about 20 in the show now, which means that she would of seen a lot of history in her time if she lived to be 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 08:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Oh yes. I remember Rose eyeballing the bandleader like a cat looking at a bowl of cream. I thought there was going to be something more going on there. When Rose said she had a "surprise" for Lord Grantham's birthday, I guessed that's what it would be. Ross's band.

I also think it's the "forbidden fruit" syndrome. It's just like Mary sleeping with the Turkish guy in the first episode. She was pretty wild when we first met her too. She can't really criticize Rose now, can she?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:06 PM

Default Wild Women of Downton Abbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oh yes. I remember Rose eyeballing the bandleader like a cat looking at a bowl of cream. I thought there was going to be something more going on there. When Rose said she had a "surprise" for Lord Grantham's birthday, I guessed that's what it would be. Ross's band.

I also think it's the "forbidden fruit" syndrome. It's just like Mary sleeping with the Turkish guy in the first episode. She was pretty wild when we first met her too. She can't really criticize Rose now, can she?
I loved that description of Rose "like a cat looking at a bowl of cream!" It is the "forbidden fruit" syndrome and behind their lady-like exteriors they are pretty wild and get around quite a bit. Mary would be a hypocrite if she were to judge Rose because of her own past and how she had that "one night stand" with the Turkish guy. I guess it is unfair to call it a "one night stand" because the guy died.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:39 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I loved that description of Rose "like a cat looking at a bowl of cream!" It is the "forbidden fruit" syndrome and behind their lady-like exteriors they are pretty wild and get around quite a bit. Mary would be a hypocrite if she were to judge Rose because of her own past and how she had that "one night stand" with the Turkish guy. I guess it is unfair to call it a "one night stand" because the guy died.
The irony is that both of them had their fling intentionally, but the one with more lasting concequences is the much more reserved Edith. I don't think she really intended to sleep with the mysterious mr. Griegson, and if she hadn't been set up wouldn't. She seemed with some reservations to want to love him and be his wife over a fling.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:55 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,269,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Actually she did. When the whole family was in London, Rose talked them into going to a night club. He was the singer and Rose was familiar with him and the club. He'd certainly recognize her. She was dancing with someone objectional and he interceeded and replace him. She had to be told they were leaving as she was enjoying herself with him as dance partner. There was this flirty chemistery going on as well.

Rose unlike others doesn't care for conventional rules, and if someone tells her not to she'll just be inspired to find a way around it.
The singer interceded on her behalf to spare her embarrassment but I don't think they knew of each other prior to that event. At least I can't recall any prior events.

Anyhow, Rose is a mess. Hopefully we'll see a slight change now that she's had her presentation or so forth and introduced to a more proper friend.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
The singer interceded on her behalf to spare her embarrassment but I don't think they knew of each other prior to that event. At least I can't recall any prior events.

Anyhow, Rose is a mess. Hopefully we'll see a slight change now that she's had her presentation or so forth and introduced to a more proper friend.
I got the impression she'd been there before. But she's not in the least interested in being proper. She's out for fun.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 AM

Default Edith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The irony is that both of them had their fling intentionally, but the one with more lasting concequences is the much more reserved Edith. I don't think she really intended to sleep with the mysterious mr. Griegson, and if she hadn't been set up wouldn't. She seemed with some reservations to want to love him and be his wife over a fling.
It is ironic that Edith being the most reserved, even prudish, winds up pregnant from a married man (Griegson is legally still married, right? That's why he went to Germany, I think - actually I am confused about that whole Germany move). I wonder what wealthy titled English families used to do with their unwed pregnant daughters. I would think they could send the girl on a trip to France for an extended visit of seven or so months with a discreet chaperone, then return a little plumper because of the delicious French food. I don't know what would happen to the baby, maybe they would leave him/her with a trustworthy family that would get a check every month for 20 or so years. Poor Edith. She kind of reminds me of Jan Brady (The Brady Bunch).

Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
We never did get to see why Edith made the decision to sleep with Griegson. I got the impression it was because he was leaving for Germany and she was very emotional over that so she wanted to show her love for him. We didn't see her making that decision. First we saw them together with Edith saying how worried she was then we saw her sneaking up the stairs in what either could have been late at night or early in the morning all disheveled. To me, anyway, the time line wasn't all that clear except for a bit later her aunt scolded her for being careless or some such thing.

That seems to be just one of the things the writers this season are leaving the audience to sort of fill in the blanks for themselves.

Then again, I could have missed something.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:53 AM

Default Writers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
We never did get to see why Edith made the decision to sleep with Griegson. I got the impression it was because he was leaving for Germany and she was very emotional over that so she wanted to show her love for him. We didn't see her making that decision. First we saw them together with Edith saying how worried she was then we saw her sneaking up the stairs in what either could have been late at night or early in the morning all disheveled. To me, anyway, the time line wasn't all that clear except for a bit later her aunt scolded her for being careless or some such thing.

That seems to be just one of the things the writers this season are leaving the audience to sort of fill in the blanks for themselves.

Then again, I could have missed something.
That was why I was shocked when Edith opened that letter and it said she was pregnant. I was thinking I didn't even know that their relationship had turned physical. The writers really danced around that and I don't think in this day and age they were shy or worried to just come out with the fact that they slept together, like showing them in bed in the afterglow. I think they wanted to shock us by making Edith pregnant all of a sudden because they knew the viewers didn't know all the facts and were probably just assuming things because of a lack of information and scenes to fill in the blanks as to how close Edith and Griegson had become.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
That was why I was shocked when Edith opened that letter and it said she was pregnant. I was thinking I didn't even know that their relationship had turned physical. The writers really danced around that and I don't think in this day and age they were shy or worried to just come out with the fact that they slept together, like showing them in bed in the afterglow. I think they wanted to shock us by making Edith pregnant all of a sudden because they knew the viewers didn't know all the facts and were probably just assuming things because of a lack of information and scenes to fill in the blanks as to how close Edith and Griegson had become.
My feeling is Edith was very flattered that someone with money and not her father's age had taken an interest in her. And I think she talked herself into the relationship, since she came to look forward to seeing him. The whole thing about his wife still makes me wonder if its a story. Then he vanishes. I don't think we have to see them crawl into bed to be sure, but she looked discheved when she snuck in the house that morning (her aunt noted she's had a whole hour to sleep) and the even more mysterious question of what she signed.

There's a bigger story here, I think, and we only see bits and pieces so far. There is nothing wrong about writing that way. Much of it is hinted or suggested but that works much better sometimes over telling it all at the same time. I like the way we've been slowly drawn into Edith's predicamint and so many things are still left as yet to be explained mysteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV