Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 06:07 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,595,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My feeling is Edith was very flattered that someone with money and not her father's age had taken an interest in her. And I think she talked herself into the relationship, since she came to look forward to seeing him. The whole thing about his wife still makes me wonder if its a story.
But he's not her age, either. Still an older man -- the actor who plays him is only 5 years younger than Bonneville, and (I think) about 20 years older than Lady Edith!

But isn't he "in trades" as an editor? I didn't think he was wealthy at all. Not even sure if he had his own evening suit when he happened to be vacationing in Scotland at the same time as the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I thought it was fairly obvious that...

3) His story about going to Germany was to establish citizenship so he could divorce his wife.
Yes, that's the line he wants everyone to swallow, but is it true?? Have we met any of his friends or relatives, or even heard about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,184,407 times
Default Edith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My feeling is Edith was very flattered that someone with money and not her father's age had taken an interest in her. And I think she talked herself into the relationship, since she came to look forward to seeing him. The whole thing about his wife still makes me wonder if its a story. Then he vanishes. I don't think we have to see them crawl into bed to be sure, but she looked discheved when she snuck in the house that morning (her aunt noted she's had a whole hour to sleep) and the even more mysterious question of what she signed.

There's a bigger story here, I think, and we only see bits and pieces so far. There is nothing wrong about writing that way. Much of it is hinted or suggested but that works much better sometimes over telling it all at the same time. I like the way we've been slowly drawn into Edith's predicamint and so many things are still left as yet to be explained mysteries.
I do think that Edith has some kind of "Daddy" issues and maybe that is why she is drawn to older men. Remember the scene last week when her father caught her crying in the library? He said something sweet and she pooh poohed it, something like she is not the dearest meaning that he loves Mary and Sybil more. I do think Edith has felt ignored and invisible in the family so Griegson must be like a breath of fresh air paying her so much attention. She was starting to feel like a spinster and she even called herself "the maiden aunt." She has a lot of low self-esteem. She's not a plain girl so I think it is all in her head, maybe being the middle child, who knows...? I am looking forward to the mysteries that await us and I also believe that maybe the writers have a lot more up their sleeves and will have more shockers in store for us. It is better that we don't have everything spelled out for us, I am thinking now, more fun that way.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:05 AM

11,666 posts, read 12,777,876 times
Edith is a spinster. She must be closing in on 30 now. She's not an heiress. Many men of her generation were killed off in the war. Pickings are slim for her.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:11 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,089,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Edith is a spinster. She must be closing in on 30 now. She's not an heiress. Many men of her generation were killed off in the war. Pickings are slim for her.
Pickings are about as slim as the writers want them to be - this is a story - fictional - not real.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:21 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,406,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
IMary would be a hypocrite if she were to judge Rose because of her own past and how she had that "one night stand" with the Turkish guy. I guess it is unfair to call it a "one night stand" because the guy died.
Maybe a one hour stand?

Old 02-10-2014, 12:57 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,184,407 times
Default One Hour Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Maybe a one hour stand?
That's RIGHT! He expired while in the "act." Dying the way he did is rare for a young man of his age. Mary was just too much for him. I just realized that every man Mary ever slept with died prematurely.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,032 posts, read 6,567,014 times
So now that Bates seems to believe he knows who raped Anna, will he question the lie? Will he think that Anna lied to protect her attacker? Obviously this could get real ugly.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,288,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
So now that Bates seems to believe he knows who raped Anna, will he question the lie? Will he think that Anna lied to protect her attacker? Obviously this could get real ugly.
I'm sure it will come out in the wash later but I don't think Bates will pursue it intentionally.

Anyhow, I've slept since but didn't he over hear Anna explaining why she didn't want him to know?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:16 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,854,986 times
I'm sure Bates knows the reason why she's not saying, but I don't think it's going to make one bit of difference, the thought too of going back to jail won't make any difference to him either .

Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 AM

29,783 posts, read 34,555,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Pickings are about as slim as the writers want them to be - this is a story - fictional - not real.
Mary seems to be swimming in potential suitors. I get that she's pretty and rich, but she so cold and sour that I can't imagine the bright young things would be swarming to her as they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV