Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 08:58 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,345,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
"As the last of Rommel's tanks retreated beyond the range of hills, General Thomas Barrow emerged from....

That is so perfect. I'm still laughing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 11:25 AM

11,649 posts, read 12,727,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
I am going to miss the show without a doubt. It was intelligent, well written and had human elements to it. Yes, I realize Fellowes is not going to bash his own social class upbringing or background, and I don't expect him to. I'm probably somewhat a bit biased, having Imperial Russia aristocracy servants on my fathers side, Russian Jewish folk on my mother's; my ancestors would turn in their graves if they knew I was enjoying Downton - . Speaking of the Civil War, Mercy Street usually follows on PBS, Sundays in New York area. Mercy is a lot more realistic.Mercy is almost over too. I hope PBS replaces these 2 shows with more intelligent thought-provoking programs. Indian Summers was another miniseries some time ago on PBS.I guess no Season 2 for that one. PBS has amazing shows. I like that other one, Finding your Roots with Gates. We need more PBS like FREE tv channels. Netflix was good once upon a time. Now it's deteriorated to having rubbish.
I agree.

My father of peasant stock loved UpstairsDownstairs and I'm sure he would have enjoyed Downton Abbey too.

I think that Mercy Street is over, at least for the season, on channel 13.

Love Finding Your Roots.

Loved, loved Indian Summers. Was like an old-time Masterpiece Theater with complicated plots and lots of characters in a literary form, making lots of literary style statements. Reminded me of Brideshead Revisited and in a way, The Jewel in The Crown (one of my favorites).

Good news, there will be a season 2 of Indian Summers. Indian Summers Series 2 Press Pack - Channel 4 - Info - Press

Old 03-05-2016, 12:50 PM

888 posts, read 454,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It's kind of like reading/watching a story about the American Civil War. There is the point of view told by the North and the point of view told by the South. And then there is the point of view from the slave and point of view from the slave owner. Look at Gone With the Wind, which many African Americans find offensive. Julian Fellowes is a descendant of the aristocracy. Jean Marsh is the daughter of a housemaid from that time period and she created Upstairs/Downstairs, which tends to reflect the point of view from the servant's side, although it is a more well-rounded production and has some sympathetic "rich" characters too. If you liked Downton and can overlook lower quality production values from the 70s, then I highly suggest watching Upstairs Downstairs for a less soap opery and more authentic portrayal of this same subject matter. It helps if you can find Alistair Cooke's interpretation because many of the events are political and unfamiliar to Americans.
I've heard the idea floated that the Granthams aren't really like the 1% of today because they're nice to the 99% around them and help them when in need, unlike the 1% of today. That's an overly simplistic viewpoint.

The Granthams are unquestionably part of the 1%. Generally speaking, they try to treat the less fortunate around them with kindness and courtesy, which corresponds with the viewpoint noted above. How kind they really are to the 99% is questionable, at the very least, because they aren't working to redistribute their wealth. While they may help the needy who live nearby, they aren't working to change the underlying conditions that allow them to be fabulously wealthy at the expense of those who are poor, especially the poor unknown directly to them.

It's a tv story about the aristocracy and the people in their lives written primarily for entertainment. As such, it shows some of the economic reality but it's purpose isn't to educate us on the details. I would watch a documentary that compares the fictional Granthams with actual aristocrats while it explores the economic details and actual wealth distribution typically found in the era. I know the subject matter's been well addressed by historians, but can't think of any examples of documentaries like this off the top of my head.

I loved Upstairs/Downstairs and binge watched it after Season 1 or 2 of Downton.

Last edited by TransplantedPeach; 03-05-2016 at 01:54 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 01:49 PM

298 posts, read 271,314 times
You're right. That's why Dowager Dutchess was against the hospital.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:18 PM

41,990 posts, read 75,279,142 times
Quote:
Some characters kind of grew on me. I loved Mrs. Patmore, Anna and the servant who became her husband, the one who was in jail for a while. I like the butler who becomes a teacher and is all into literacy and education; he's so positive and supportive of everyone. I like the Irish footman who rose and grew out of his position and now manages the estate. Mary I absolutely cannot stand. smug, condescending S.N.O.B. The other sister Rose with the out of wedlock baby who starts her own magazine company is likeable. I tolerated the Dutchess ("Maman") until she tried to sabotage the establishment of the hospital. Lord Grantham's wife I actually like. Some of them are very pretentious and obnoxious. They tipify the stereotype of British people.
Have you actually watched this show?

Old 03-05-2016, 03:11 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,267,288 times
Several previews are floating around. Looks like big changes are coming. Everyone seems to be very happy and excited about the changes. Maybe everyone will have a happy ending. That would be very satisfying, but you'd think someone would experience misfortune. I wounder who Julian Fellowes would pick for disappointment?

Old 03-05-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Have you actually watched this show?
what are you talking about? what part of my post makes you think I didn't?

Old 03-05-2016, 03:28 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,005,788 times
Quote:
what are you talking about? what part of my post makes you think I didn't?
You just made several blatantly inaccurate statements, that's all.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You just made several blatantly inaccurate statements, that's all.
yea like what?

Old 03-05-2016, 03:53 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,551,378 times
Quote:
yea like what?
You had names of characters mixed up, but most of us could figure out your meaning. Not a big deal IMHO......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV