Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 11:31 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times

Advertisements

Mary the wife of a used car salesman while Edith is a Marchioness? Cold not ask for more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 11:37 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I know Henry and Tom have high hopes of growing the business into the future, but really, Fellowes couldn't have made him something better than a used car salesman? What a colossal come down for Lady Mary. I actually feel a bit sorry for her, and I say that as someone who is not a fan of hers.
We may be jaded about selling cars, but in 1925 they were still relatively rare and exciting. Henry would still be "in trade" but in a more cutting edge way.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:50 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
And was Mary drinking a glass of wine at the New Year??? Isn't she pregnant? Maybe they didn't associate alcohol and pregnancy back then. Don't know.

I hated Daisy's new do. She had beautiful long hair and then suddenly a new bob. Awful.

I wish the show could have gone on into the next year, to actually see how everyone really made out and to see Mary's new babe. Think we could petition Mr. F. to see if he would consider it???

Anyway, at the end, I felt like I was actually there ! They all seemed to be very distant relatives to me and I was part of the whole party. It was wonderful.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
And was Mary drinking a glass of wine at the New Year??? Isn't she pregnant? Maybe they didn't associate alcohol and pregnancy back then. Don't know.

I hated Daisy's new do. She had beautiful long hair and then suddenly a new bob. Awful.

I wish the show could have gone on into the next year, to actually see how everyone really made out and to see Mary's new babe. Think we could petition Mr. F. to see if he would consider it???

Anyway, at the end, I felt like I was actually there ! They all seemed to be very distant relatives to me and I was part of the whole party. It was wonderful.
I thought Andy's comment that she looked like Clara Bow was prett spot on--Bow was the "It" girl...
Cutting her hair was a nod to the modern era--note that Mary and Edith and Rose have shorter hair and the older women have longer, including all servants except Dinker, maybe...

I just think Daisy doesn't know herself--she waffles all over the place and Andy could do a lot better...
I thought William falling in love and marrying Daisy was a step down, frankly, because he was such an earnest and honest person...

I think the idea is that as the car business grows and they acquire more money, they intend to start a brand and build their own...apparently Henry has the contacts and they both have the knowledge to do that...
But they took no money or loan from the Crawley estate...
The sad fact is that in a few years the stock market will crash and I imagine their business will go belly up...
They would have done much better long term to create a garage business and service the cars and especially farm machines that would be in operation and necessary after after the Depression starts...
Their area is huge farming --large or small farms--and the idea that it would stop repairing farm machines that people were transitioning to from hand/animal farming doesn't hold water...

I think Bertie's mother knew a lost cause when she saw it--I don't know why she felt Bertie has to personally be the person to reform his district but maybe that too will change because Bertie seems a sort of live-let-live guy

I must admit that I was waiting for Michael Gregson to materialize at the "does anyone have just cause" portion of the ceremony...

Old 03-07-2016, 12:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post

Loved, loved, loved the handling of Lord Merton's family by Violet and Isobel.
That was the best plotline of the final, there was some tension there as opposed to all the other instant solutions to long running problems that the other characters experienced. My favorite line was when Meron told his son that while he loved him, he had never learned to like him.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:10 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
That was the best plotline of the final, there was some tension there as opposed to all the other instant solutions to long running problems that the other characters experienced. My favorite line was when Meron told his son that while he loved him, he had never learned to like him.
My daughter is of the firm belief that he was being poisoned by his daughter-in-law, and that's one reason he started getting better as soon as he was out of the house. Not sure I subscribe to that theory, but his DIL sure was a piece of work. I wouldn't put it past her.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
My daughter is of the firm belief that he was being poisoned by his daughter-in-law, and that's one reason he started getting better as soon as he was out of the house. Not sure I subscribe to that theory, but his DIL sure was a piece of work. I wouldn't put it past her.
Merton had received a diagnosis of pernicious anemia. It turned out that the diagnosis was incorrect and that it was treatable anemia instead. Unless the daughter in law had some poison which created that false diagnosis, and generated a correct diagnosis when stopped, the murder theory seems unlikely.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:36 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Merton had received a diagnosis of pernicious anemia. It turned out that the diagnosis was incorrect and that it was treatable anemia instead. Unless the daughter in law had some poison which created that false diagnosis, and generated a correct diagnosis when stopped, the murder theory seems unlikely.
Oh, I know, and I agree it is highly unlikely. But I also don't think it's a coincidence that he was looking very haggard and unwell when he was in that house, but started to immediately feel better as soon as he was out of there. It probably was wholly psychological. He was living with a woman who was keeping him a virtual prisoner in his own home and doing everything she could to lead him to an early demise.

I loved Violet's intervention. That's twice now that she has bested that evil little witch.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:39 PM

625 posts, read 624,337 times
I wouldn't discount the idea of a "Downtown Abbey" special or movie (or a few of them).

They can milk this franchise FOREVER.

Seems a bit flat that after ALL the drama they'd just wrap it with everyone HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY... a bit like they ran out of steam to even write anything original.

I did note a couple of hints about "who knows what will come" --- sounds like a sequel or spin-off to me.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:42 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Quote:
I hadn't thought of that but it is perfectly sound theory. Fits with the Dr. having been selected by the daughter-in-law. She could have paid him for a slightly incorrect diagnosis that was terminal. Isolating him and keeping him prisoner would aid in her keeping prying eyes from observing his symptoms too closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV