Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 03:48 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,377,127 times

Advertisements

Made for TV movie? Can't imagine it would make much of a box office hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 03:50 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,377,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
As long as they are not "stupid" spin-offs like the Breaking Bad spin-off Better Call Saul. Something a kin to "Danker - Super Lady's Maid".

Yes, there was a PBS host who threw out a thought about a show for Danka and Spratt. I think that would be very funny.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:03 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,073,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
I would pick Spratt as the central character for a spinoff or feature movie. Spratt's been shown to have another other side to him that is intelligent and creative. We also know he's capable of deception, talking back when he can get away with it, and being a schemer in general. He knows how to behave around society, so he can cut it both ways.

A sequel needs to be set in a location where the writers have a broad slate to bring in new characters and plot lines to not be constrained by the current ones. London would accomplish this. The movie would start with Violet's death and Spratt moving to London with a cover occupation, while writing for Edith's newspaper full time.

It would be easy to incorporate all current locations and characters on a recurring and/or cameo basis. Events in and out of London with current characters would be constrained by which actors are available. Although that would be limiting in a way, it would also allow any and all characters to return. (The Dead Dowager can return as a ghost.)

Spratt could be developed as a character strong enough to stand alone so as to attract new viewers. When other Downton characters are part of the plot, the writers would have to be careful that their scenes were written to be interesting to those who hadn't seen Downton. It would be easy to throw in lines and details that would add a layer of humor only the viewers who already know Downton would understand. In doing so, the writers would also create a new set of Downton fans who would be motivated to watch Downton to get to know some of these wonderful, but now minor, characters.
I notice that you mentioned the "writers" several times. Not trying to nitpick but, there was one writer for the entire six seasons, his name is Julian Fellowes , he was also the creator of Downton Abbey.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:08 PM

888 posts, read 457,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I notice that you mentioned the "writers" several times. Not trying to nitpick but, there was one writer for the entire six seasons, his name is Julian Fellowes , he was also the creator of Downton Abbey.
Yes and no. His wife assists with the process enough that I include her by using the term writers as a generic term. I've elaborated on this in a previous post.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:29 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,277,873 times
I think Spratt's orbit on the show was too small to spin him off into any situation where he keeps encountering the Downton personnel without it seeming terribly contrived. He only interacted with the Dowager, Danker, Edith and the editor, so we have no basis for his being pals with say, Tom or Daisy.

Somewhere many pages back, someone once suggested a spinoff where Mrs. Patmore opens a bakery called "Patmore Buns."

Bates and Anna seem to have too perfect a relationship to spin them off into their own show. There is no basis for internal conflict between them, so all conflict would have to come from external sources. Maybe a show where each week Bates gets arrested for a new crime he didn't commit, and Anna has to race around solving the crime to get him off. For variety's sake, a couple a shows a season, it will be Anna getting falsely charged and Bates having to find the real criminal to save her.

Daisy and Andy at the farm with William's old man? I wouldn't watch that. Daisy was never a favorite of mine and she dropped in the standings in the final season with her nasty behavior.

"The Aristo-Cars?" The continuing saga of Mary, Henry, Tom and the editor (I keep forgetting her name) now in the used car business. In episode one, conflict arises when Mary keep turning buyers away because she doesn't feel that they are the right sort of class for one of their cars.

They could take Violet and Isobel and team them up as crime solving old busy bodies ala Miss Marple or Jessica Fletcher. Actually, that might not be too bad if they play if for laughs.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:20 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,887,372 times
So far, which actor or actress has the best post-DA career? And who would make the best Bond Girl?

Old 03-07-2016, 07:26 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,304,051 times
Bond Girl? Anna, probably. Or Sybil. I think Baxter is gorgeous, but she may be too old.

As for careers, haven't seen any of them with the exception of Dame Maggie in anything afterwards.

Hasn't the season only been over since Christmas? A little soon, isn't it?

Old 03-07-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Bond Girl? Anna, probably. Or Sybil. I think Baxter is gorgeous, but she may be too old.

As for careers, haven't seen any of them with the exception of Dame Maggie in anything afterwards.

Hasn't the season only been over since Christmas? A little soon, isn't it?
Lily James has had some success.

Lily James - IMDb

Old 03-07-2016, 07:31 PM

Maybe Baxter could be "M".

Old 03-07-2016, 07:32 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,280,023 times
One of the biggest shocks of the episode was when Carson was trembling when pouring the wine and said quite loudly "I cannot pour the bloody stuff!" For a man who demands proper decorum, this was pretty outrageous, especially in front of guests. Wasn't "bloody" one of the most forbidden words to say back then? Isn't that the word that made women faint when Eliza said it in Pygmalion? I would have expected Carson to be apologizing profusely over that faux pas.

Interesting that Rose named her daughter after Cora rather than her mother. Also interesting that Shrimpie came to be with her for Edith's wedding and Susan did not.

Henry called Edith "Edie." I'd never heard that from anyone. It suggests a familiarity between them in spite of Mary's feelings for Edith. Mary was much friendlier towards Edith and brought her back together with Bertie, but she still couldn't control herself when she had an opportunity to take a dig at Edith. When Edith said that Bertie wasn't a millionaire or marquis when he proposed, Mary said "He was when you accepted."

I was disappointed that Baxter didn't go see Mr. Coyle. I expected some major revelation or emotional outburst. Her just telling Molesley that she was over him was sort of anticlimactic.

The focus of the episode was Edith's engagement and marriage to Bertie. Sorry we missed seeing more of Isobel and Dickie as a married couple.

They couldn't fill the last episode with marriages, but there were strong hints about Andy and Daisy (They are no longer out of step with each other - nice touch for Andy to take a lock of Daisy's cut hair.); Mr. Mason and Mrs. Patmore ("I hope we'll be seeing a lot more of you there, too, Mrs. Patmore."); Molesley and Baxter ("We won't lose touch. You can be sure of that."): and Tom and the editor, who caught Edith's bouquet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV