Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 02:20 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,198,467 times

Advertisements

I was going to say where did anyone see angela Lansbury in this ???I'm sorry but did I miss something ???/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 02:21 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,289,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Angela Lansbury? She wasn't in this.
She was in the after part, trying to solicit money from viewers like us.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:18 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,302,486 times
Re: Ladies maids

Wasn't Gwen Sybil's maid? Or did she share duties with Anna?

I remember Gosford Park, the single daughter used the head housemaid as her maid. The married ladies used their own maids.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:18 PM

42,087 posts, read 75,583,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Re: Ladies maids

Wasn't Gwen Sybil's maid? Or did she share duties with Anna?
No, Gwen was a housemaid. She and Sybil, though, had a friendship, and Sybil helped her gain secretarial skills and helped her apply for jobs outside the Abbey.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,195,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I thought of the same thing when Edith came down the stairs. I was thinking of the time she got dumped at the alter. I was thrilled nothing went wrong this time and super happy she is above Mary "in station" even though Edith would never say or use it against her sister.

I have to admit when it said it was the final episode I was shocked and burst into tears! It hit me like losing my own family, well, sort of, kind of. I also cried at the end. Not too many shows have done that to me. I am so happy I got to see this marvelous tv show.

Didn't Angela Lansbury look good for her age? Her real accent took me aback some. I am only used to hearing her use an American one.

I'm glad Barrow changed. Happy about the Bates' baby boy and happy Mary took such good care of Anna.

Loved, loved, loved the "happy ever after" ending provided for us faithful fans. Thank you, Julian Fellowes.
It hit me that the show was over when the camera was pulling away from the evening shot of Downton Abbey with all the snow. It was like the show was saying goodbye and we had to say it as well. I loved how there were so many happy endings to go around and it ended on a really high note, even though inside we are all sad that it's all over - six years of fun I think Edith and Thomas were two characters that we have seen the most dramatic changes in. Edith at the start was resigned to being a spinster and the sister that was always in the shadows. She grabbed the brass ring at one point and thought happiness was hers only to be left at the altar humiliated and traumatized, but she rose above it all and at the end triumphed. She finally found true love and she's a Marchioness to boot, plus I think she looks beautiful in this last season. It must be the growing confidence she has and maybe that drew Bertie in. Thomas started out as a conniving and ambitious bad guy, but that was all a facade when all he really wanted was a family and that family was all the people at Downton Abbey. His character had so many different facets to it but at the heart of it all he turned out to be a really good guy. He also triumphed and became the butler with the security that he has a place at Downton Abbey always.

I was surprised to see Angela Lansbury in the brief PBS pledge/support message. I totally agree she looks great and I thought that she and Maggie Smith were the same age, but I was shocked to find out that Maggie is about nine years younger than Angela! I don't know what Angela does to keep young looking, but she should write a book.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:21 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,302,486 times
I came across this tonight.

Daisy cleans up nice!!!

http://www.zimbio.com/What+the+'Downton+Abbey'+Cast+Looks+Like+in+21st+Century+Attire

Old 03-09-2016, 09:26 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,289,123 times
I was going to guess that Angela was the elder of the two because I remember her in some movie with Victor Mature from the 40's.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:57 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,857,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I was going to guess that Angela was the elder of the two because I remember her in some movie with Victor Mature from the 40's.
She was a teenager in the movie Gaslight , great movie .

Old 03-10-2016, 01:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,266,750 times
Default Did I Miss Something?

There were a couple of plot elements on Downton Abbey which they never explained or resolved...unless they did so in an episode where I wasn't paying enough attention.
To wit:

From Season Three - Mary jilts Sir Richard Carlisle in favor of Mathew, despite his threatening to reveal that she had slept with the late Kemal Pamuk.

So...did he ever reveal it? I don't recall any follow up to it apart from Mary confessing the deed to Mathew. What happened to the public scandal which would have arisen? Didn't Carlisle carry out the threat?

and

From Season Two - The fellow who showed up badly burned and claiming to be Patrick Crowley...he went away on his own, leaving behind a note which said that not being recognized was too much for him, signed "P. Gordon"..leaving the others to wonder if that meant Partrick or Peter (his Canadian name.)

That was unresolved, we never heard another word about him while the show never resolved whether he was a fake or the real deal.

Or did I miss something?

Old 03-10-2016, 02:59 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,279,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
There were a couple of plot elements on Downton Abbey which they never explained or resolved...unless they did so in an episode where I wasn't paying enough attention.
To wit:

From Season Three - Mary jilts Sir Richard Carlisle in favor of Mathew, despite his threatening to reveal that she had slept with the late Kemal Pamuk.

So...did he ever reveal it? I don't recall any follow up to it apart from Mary confessing the deed to Mathew. What happened to the public scandal which would have arisen? Didn't Carlisle carry out the threat?

and

From Season Two - The fellow who showed up badly burned and claiming to be Patrick Crowley...he went away on his own, leaving behind a note which said that not being recognized was too much for him, signed "P. Gordon"..leaving the others to wonder if that meant Partrick or Peter (his Canadian name.)

That was unresolved, we never heard another word about him while the show never resolved whether he was a fake or the real deal.

Or did I miss something?
Carlisle controlled people by threatening them. Once his threats became ineffective on Mary, he knew had no control over her to force her to marry him. There was no need for him to reveal the secret then except for spite. Even for Carlisle, that would be pointless.

Of course there are plenty of people who know about it, so a scandal could pop up at any time. It's not as big a deal now that Mary's been married twice. At the time she was supposed to be a virgin, and her being damaged goods would scare the suitors away. (She would not have a "divine" of suitors, as Rosamond called them.)

I think it was pretty clear that the guy was an impostor. They had done enough detective work to figure out who he probably was. Once confronted he knew his ruse wouldn't work, and he bolted.

This was one of the plot lines that stretched the bounds of credibility for me. They talked about how Edith had known Patrick when they were children and how the disfigured soldier knew stories about the German nanny and other things. What they didn't mention was that Patrick was a regular visitor to Downton, maybe even living there, well after childhood. He was engaged to Mary and loved by Edith. He had likely been there regularly just before he left to go on the Titanic. So there was a lot more memories they shared than those of childhood. Even so, I don't think I would have trouble recognizing childhood friends after many years, even if their faces were unrecognizable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV