Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 06:07 PM

888 posts, read 457,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'm generally not a fan of prequels because you already know the character's futures. It might be interesting to see Carson back in his "The Two Charlies" song and dance days.

Still, Fellows is an extremely gifted story teller and if someone could pull this off enjoyably, it would be him.
The back story of some of the minor characters could get interesting, since he would have more latitude with their subplots. This has the possibility to compensate for the audience already knowing the future. Using a prequel for character development may be interesting to the diehard fans, but won't cut it as entertainment for most people.

I agree he has the talent to make it work and look forward to watching whatever is completed.

(A few weeks ago I looked to see if there was a thread about the current PBS series Victoria and wasn't surprised not to find one. A quick peak at Wikipedia will outline the plot for those not already in the know, eliminating much of the discussion.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 06:21 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
If it is a prequel set 30 years before 1912, why do they need to "round up the old cast?" None of those actors can now pass for versions of themselves 40 years younger. The old cast would perhaps just be flashing back to their early days where young actors portray them. And if it is 30 years in the past, some of the characters would not even have been born yet.

I'm generally not a fan of prequels because you already know the character's futures. It might be interesting to see Carson back in his "The Two Charlies" song and dance days.

Still, Fellows is an extremely gifted story teller and if someone could pull this off enjoyably, it would be him.
This sounds quite interesting. We see the family when they've settled into what we see as the modern world, but it must have been a very stressful time when Old Family had to reach out to New Money (expecially that one) to save the estate and maintain themselves in some sembelence of what was expected.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:33 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,301,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
The back story of some of the minor characters could get interesting, since he would have more latitude with their subplots. This has the possibility to compensate for the audience already knowing the future. Using a prequel for character development may be interesting to the diehard fans, but won't cut it as entertainment for most people.

I agree he has the talent to make it work and look forward to watching whatever is completed.

(A few weeks ago I looked to see if there was a thread about the current PBS series Victoria and wasn't surprised not to find one. A quick peak at Wikipedia will outline the plot for those not already in the know, eliminating much of the discussion.)
What do you mean there is no thread for "Victoria"?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tv/2709674-victoria.html

Old 02-22-2017, 07:17 PM

888 posts, read 457,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
What do you mean there is no thread for "Victoria"?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tv/2709674-victoria.html
I said there was no thread when I looked, since you asked. It started a few days after the second episode.

Thank you for the link. I'll check it out after I catch up with the show.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:38 PM

32,255 posts, read 27,476,120 times
Only story worth exploring from the remains of Downton Abbey is that gay footman; Thomas.

The story was hatched then almost totally forgotten or buried but needs fleshing out, and in doing so could make for an interesting plot line perhaps even a series given all this "equality" running around.

How did the Earl, Carson, Lady Mary, and several others all know Thomas was gay? Lady Mary especially since that wouldn't have been something carefully brought up young girls of the period were exposed to out of matter of course. Apparently neither Lady Edith nor Lady Sybil knew, so why LM?

That witch of a lady's maid, O'Brien knew, but then again she would wouldn't she? Just the type to sniff out dirt on anyone and keep it for use later on. But by and large until the two had a falling out O'Brien and Thomas were good friends and she acted as sort of a protector. Again how did all this come about?

We know Thomas was blackmailing that young peer from the first introductory episodes. How did they meet? What else went on? Was it furtive groping in the night or full on "Maurice and Scudder" affair?

Old 02-02-2018, 04:20 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,215,534 times
Default for all of us downton abbey fans

Julian Fellows has another one headed our way . It is called "The Guilded age " it will premiere fall 2019 , if this is half as good as downton I will watch . What say the rest of you ?

Old 02-02-2018, 06:32 AM

23,020 posts, read 28,498,766 times
I have loved Fellowes since Monarch of the Glen, where he was mostly comic relief. Downton Abbey was one of the best TV shows in the past ten years (and I usually don't care for "costume dramas"). I'll definitely tune in for this.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:44 AM

13,432 posts, read 28,860,149 times
I will check it out for sure

Old 02-02-2018, 07:52 AM

3,317 posts, read 3,076,401 times
Count me in!

Old 02-02-2018, 08:23 AM

385 posts, read 210,011 times
Awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV