Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2019, 01:52 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,277,873 times

Advertisements

The movie was released on DVD today. I've rented it and will watch tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 05:36 PM

11,677 posts, read 12,818,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbty View Post
I loved the cinematography of the movie and enjoyed the movie. Some parts felt a bit forced. I also felt it should have been featured on Netflix similar to 'The Irishman'.
Some of us don't have Netflix. It was an ITV production in conjunction with PBS. I don't think ITV has a partnership with Netflix, thankfully.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:09 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,277,873 times
The movie felt like Downton Abbey-Lite. What made the series so compelling was that they had lots of time to develop story lines, lots of time to develop characters, and they got the audience invested in the fate of these characters . With a score of characters to follow, the two hour movie could only brush on each one for a limited time, stories had to be started and stopped within the time frame. The Bates character for example, had almost nothing to do. Neither Lord nor Lady Grantham played any important part in the proceedings.

Not that there was anything bad or poorly done, it was mainly a matter of it all being rushed. It felt like an after dinner snack following a banquet. It was nice to revisit these characters in whom the audience had so much invested, but the "feel" of the TV series was missing.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:43 PM

315 posts, read 386,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Some of us don't have Netflix. It was an ITV production in conjunction with PBS. I don't think ITV has a partnership with Netflix, thankfully.
Thank you for letting me know. I hadn't considered Netflix being unavailable in certain countries.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The movie felt like Downton Abbey-Lite. What made the series so compelling was that they had lots of time to develop story lines, lots of time to develop characters, and they got the audience invested in the fate of these characters . With a score of characters to follow, the two hour movie could only brush on each one for a limited time, stories had to be started and stopped within the time frame. The Bates character for example, had almost nothing to do. Neither Lord nor Lady Grantham played any important part in the proceedings.

Not that there was anything bad or poorly done, it was mainly a matter of it all being rushed. It felt like an after dinner snack following a banquet. It was nice to revisit these characters in whom the audience had so much invested, but the "feel" of the TV series was missing.
I couldn't agree more with all the points you've made now that you've mentioned. It would of been great for this movie to of been a TV mini-series to give fans more of an in-depth follow-up on the characters and storylines. I was rooting for more scenes with Mr. Bates especially between him and his new love interest and friendship with Daisy. I found myself wanting more after the movie was over.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:38 PM

5,496 posts, read 3,586,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbty View Post
<snip>I was rooting for more scenes with Mr. Bates especially between him and his new love interest and friendship with Daisy. <end snip>
I don't remember this. Aren't Mr. Bates and Anna married?

Old 12-19-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Whoops, I was thinking of Mr. Mosely and his lady love, no necessarily new. Yes, you're fight about Mr. Bates and Anna. I would of loved to of seen more scenes with them as well since they have a family of their own.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:39 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,295,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Whew! I uttered out loud "WHAAAAT????" Glad it was a boo-boo cuz I certainly didn't see that!

Old 12-20-2019, 01:58 PM

2,543 posts, read 2,829,903 times
Me too! I'm on Season 5 now as I didn't see the whole series previously and wanted to watch it in its entirety before I see the movie. I was sitting here wondering what I missed or what was coming. So glad it's not true - I like them and want them to be happy together. Thanks for clearing that one up!

Old 12-27-2019, 09:55 AM

30,774 posts, read 18,527,350 times
So I'm rewatching Downton Abbey again on Amazon Prime (currently on season 2) and noticed something odd/interesting. During season one, the family was essentially pushing Lady Edith to (after failing in gaining Lady Mary's interest) marry Sir. Anthony Strallan. This was in 1914. Just a couple of years later, however, the family is up in arms about the prospect of a marriage between Strallan and Edith. What changed in such a short time that would lead the family to behave as they did?

I know that Cora and Violet were somewhat panicked and desperate for Lady Mary to marry anyone following the death of Pamuk, which would explain why they were itching to get her hitched to Strallan initially. The change in eagerness from the family for Edith getting involved with Strallan to the family being vehemently opposed to such a union is interesting to say the least!

I'm curious if anyone else noticed this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV