Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 07:05 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Thanks.

They'll have to get married next year. When Carson proposes and Mrs. Hughes accepts, I hope they're informal enough to use each other's 1st names.
Personally, I think Mrs. Hughes is too good for Carson. I really haven't cared for him all that much since the very beginning. I don't despise him or anything, but he gets on my nerves. I get the feeling that he actually sees himself more as one of the upstairs people instead of the downstairs one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 07:07 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Last night's episode was one of those that - when the Masterpiece logo came on the screen at the end, I had to look at the clock. I could swear I'd only been watching for 15 minutes, LOL.

Just ... wow.

Edith. Selfish twit. Thinking of no one but herself. First with thinking that everyone within a 50 mile radius should mourn like they all loved Gregson. Yeah right, Edith. Mary got her new hair style just to show disrespect to you and Gregson. Then grabbing the child she has already given away twice. Will Mrs. Drewe take the torn-up birth certificate up to the Big House?

What's the drift with the Molesley and Daisy storyline? He hasn't paid any attention to her in the past.

And yay for Isobel - on to her new adventure.

Loved Baxter helping Barrow. And a smile from Barrow that wasn't evil and calculating.

Rose and Atticus seem to be rolling along, and Rose isn't acting like a flibbertigibbet. The dinner next week should be ... interesting. Will Robert have problems with Atticus's family being Jewish? Cora won't. (And why did Violet make a face about Atticus's family being Jewish? Cora came from a Jewish family)

Wondering if Mary and Mabel will end up as friends

Violet seems to be putting up with more drama than usual from her servants. The new maid seems quite outspoken. And Violet called the Prince Igor! First name! I don't think I've heard her call anyone by first name except immediate family, not even Isobel Crawley.

Hughes and Carson make me grin. But the writers have slowly changed him to ... clueless.

One of the best lines of the night .. Granny Violet: "There’s too much thinking. Before the war, no one thought anything at all."
Edith is being silly to think everyone should be in mourning for Gregson. She's a little childish in that respect. I hope she finally gets to be the person I want her to be, and not the mopey, complaining, depressed person she's been so far. Raising that little girl without servants and running a business hopefully will totally transform her character. She's a middle child that was overshadowed by her more popular older sister and her beautiful, modern younger sister. I can't really say I blame her for how she has behaved with the child. It's her child after all. I feel sorry for Mrs. Drewe, but she'll recover.

I think Molesley's talk with Daisy explained it. He's interested in learning, but never got the chance to make anything of it. It's so sad the servant class mostly all had to stop their educations in adolescence. Most wouldn't care, but he wanted to become a teacher at one point. Seeing Daisy educating herself has brought all that to the surface. I still think he has a thing for Cora's maid (can't think of her name right now).

Old 02-09-2015, 07:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
These types of arrangements happen all the time with foster care. At least Edith got Marigold early enough that she'll grow up only remembering Edith as her mother, and early enough that Mrs. Drew will be able to heal.

But wasn't the arrangement made that the Drews were to raise little Marigold? I didn't have the impression that either Mr. or Mrs. Drew thought that they were just going to foster her temporarily.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:10 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Am I the only one who is starting to really dislike Mary or what?
I'm pretty sure you've got tons of company. Personally, I'm not "starting to really dislike Mary." I haven't liked her all along. I'm just starting to dislike her more.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:12 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Personally, I think Mrs. Hughes is too good for Carson. I really haven't cared for him all that much since the very beginning. I don't despise him or anything, but he gets on my nerves. I get the feeling that he actually sees himself more as one of the upstairs people instead of the downstairs one.
Carson is a lower class person who enthusiastically supports the class divide because it has allowed him to rise to the top of his own class, not an aristocrat himself, but a man of rank, distinction and authority. All that goes into supporting this image, he deems "proper."

Old 02-09-2015, 07:13 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,028 posts, read 6,545,870 times
Uncle. It was taking me longer to catch up on the posts from yesterday on then it did to watch the current episode (which I just watched since I was on I95 during the airing last night).

All I can say is that, IMHO, it was the best episode of this season and, perhaps, all the past seasons.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
LexisNexus wrote:

But isn't it the case that Anna has to keep Lady Mary's secret because she was pledged to secrecy? And I thought it was acknowledged years ago between Anna & Bates that neither would ask/divulge the secrets of either Lady Mary or Lord Grantham? I can't remember the scene, but I'm pretty sure that this was established.

And about the investigation, I think there was enough in what Baxter said to Scotland Yard, that they will lay off the investigation there at the Abby. No one wants to bother any aristocrats unless absolutely necessary. Either that, or it could be that it will finally come back to Barrow and that will be the mechanism for getting rid of him finally. I think that's at least a possibility.

I loved this episode! People have been complaining that not enough happens, . All these plots or pseudo-plots certainly did move along with this installment. I watched it a second time this morning and my head is still spinning. I love this show and am already sort of grieving that next season is the last.
I thought it was funny how all my earlier complaints were resolved with this latest episode. Barrow's issue has been resolved, and hopefully will learn to accept himself as he is and be less nasty to everyone else, especially Baxter. She's the only one he's been particularly nasty about this season anyway.

Edith finally took the bull by the horns and moved with her child to take the reigns of a publishing company. I have high hopes for Edith's character now.

Mary is still my least favorite character.

Cora finally talked to Robert and made him see his own selfishness in this matter.

Bates is definitely not the murderer, and Anna believes him.

The only one to worry about right now is Isis, poor baby. Is this the same dog since the first season? If so, I guess it's about time. I'm not sure what year it is now, but Isis has to be at least 10 - 13 years old now. For a big dog, that's a pretty long life.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Since Bates wasn't there and didn't do it, I don't see how a case gets developed with him as the culprit. Nobody can place him there in York, at the time of Greene's death, in any capacity. The ticket is a red herring.

What's interesting is that Anna not completey telling her husband the truth about the contraceptive device, allowing him to believe that she had it because she didn't want to have a baby with a man who she suspected killed Greene. Guess she figured that if Lady Mary can keep a secret about the rape, she can keep a secret about Mary's sleeping with Tony, at the expense of Bates later finding out the truth, which will cause problems between he and Anna.

Baxter continues to grow on me as a character. She gives a fine performance. Barrow confided in her and she helped him. She's a great human being. So much class. Just goes to show. You don't have to be privileged and have a lot of money to have such class and be a person of great character.

Glad that Barrow got some help for his drug experiment. The doctor gave him great advice. Hopefully, he can get back to being himself. He may even become less of a villain, while he and Baxter get closer.

I really root for Edith, and I'm glad there's movement now on Gregson. Glad she took Marigold, but that was a heartbreaking scene when she did. I feel for Tim and his wife. They obviously loved that little girl, but it's better than mom and daughter are together. At least Robert acknowledges that Gregson and Edith loved each other. Maybe in time, something good will become of it.

Tim and Baxter are two of my favorite characters. Both demonstrate that you don't have to be rich and privileged to have character, class, integrity, a good heart, and depth.

Charles now comes across as a playboy type, more of partner in crime with Mary, rather than a romantic interest. He likes to play the field as much as she does, without getting emotionally involved. He's more interested in the hunt, not the catch. Similar to Mary.

Rose and Atticus are moving along pretty fast. Her character falls in love so quickly. His mother and father (Lord and Lady Sinderby) are quite distinguishing looking, and I was struck by his father's voice. Very distinctive. Some of the voices of the men in this series are quite distinctive and full of character: Lord Sinderby, Jimmy, Tim, Mr. Carson.

I'm glad Cora laid the heavy duty speech on Robert to get him to quit acting like a big baby. There was still much she could've done to stop Bricker in his tracks before it got that far, so I think Robert is somewhat justified in his anger with her. But he has to admit to himself that in the past, he has done similar, and even gone further. Cora may act like an airhead at times, but she's really quite deep when she wants to be. She's also very classy and sincere. She's acts like a woman in her position - not a care in the world.

One thing I like about Prince Igor is that he tells it like it is. He expresses what he feels and does so directly. So great to see this, given that we now live in the pathetic age of high tech, faces buried in smart phones, texting and so forth - such an indirect, acronym-ruined society.
I like your take on the episode. I was thinking about the conversation between Anna and Bates. Anna may very well have eventually explained why Lady Mary needed the contraceptive, but when he said he believed she used it because she didn't want to have a baby with him because he was a murderer that really changed the conversation. Now she doesn't even need to mention it again because in his mind all is resolved on that issue. I wonder if Anna didn't want to tell Bates because he would be scandalized and think less of Lady Mary if he knew she was sleeping with a man who wasn't her husband. Then again, I always thought widows had certain leeway in that respect. It's not like they had to protect their virginity for their husbands.

I had to think who Tim was, but maybe you meant Tom?

Prince Igor may not have been so direct in his previous life, but what has he got to lose now? Though I suspect he may have always been that way. He is a man and has the luxury of being that way.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Please tell me I'm not the only one who wishes Isobel would marry Dr. Clarkson instead of Lord Merton. <sigh>
I thought so until the luncheon arranged by Violet. Dr. Clarkson and Violet both agreed that Isobel and Lord Merton were well suited. It sounded like he had no romantic interest in her.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
But wasn't the arrangement made that the Drews were to raise little Marigold? I didn't have the impression that either Mr. or Mrs. Drew thought that they were just going to foster her temporarily.
I don't remember the arrangements, but yes I'm sure Mrs. Drewe expected to raise the orphaned child. I was just saying that arrangements like these happen even today. Mrs. Drewe will recover though, and the child is young enough that she won't remember. I do feel awful for her though, but I can understand Edith wanting the baby for herself. Marigold was given up reluctantly. She couldn't even bear to leave the baby in Switzerland or Sweden or whether it was, placing her instead with a local family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV