Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 02:11 AM

21,528 posts, read 10,653,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Lily James (Rose) plays Cinderella in Disney's latest blockbuster version of that story. It's a huge deal and most likely will be the role that makes her career.
Sophie McShera (Daisy) plays Cinderella's wicked stepsister.
That sounds like it would be a good movie. I love all the real life Cinderella movies (and cartoons too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
"Daisy" and "Robert" were on Galavant.

Dan Stevens is doing just fine. He has an apartment in NYC and locals have spotted him all over town. He had a successful run on Broadway after leaving D/A and has done a bunch of Indie films. He also had a small part in the newest Night At the Museum movie.
I haven't watched Galavant, and have never been to Broadway, so I was unaware of those roles. Good for them. I knew they would get roles, but I was thinking they were leaving for some huge opportunities. I guess these probably could be considered as such.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:30 AM

29,784 posts, read 34,581,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Would that seriously be true of even the aristocracy? Had Lady Mary, for instance, have been raped, would she have been considered ruined?
Maybe not ruined, but tainted, at least. Back in season 1 she probably could have claimed rape for the Pamuk incident, but she'd still be seen as less of a victim and been "asking for it." Even in Edith's situation, she'd be looked down on for having a baby out of wedlock with a married man, while Gregson (if he was still around) probably wouldn't be turned into a social pariah for his role in the matter. Women are supposed to be pure and unsexual, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Dan Stevens is doing just fine. He has an apartment in NYC and locals have spotted him all over town. He had a successful run on Broadway after leaving D/A and has done a bunch of Indie films. He also had a small part in the newest Night At the Museum movie.
Yeah, he's doing fine, and maybe he likes the work better. Still, he left a wildly high-profile and popular show at the height of its popularity and he'd didn't become the next Cumberbatch. From an outside perspective it does make you wonder if it was a David Caruso-esque career blunder.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Robert strikes me as an exception, from what I've seen of the reality. Or maybe since Robert due to his own incompetence nearly lost it all. He's got to have known families who did. And we don't know Buntings background. She has had experience with landlords who aren't like Robert. Maybe her family was hurt. Maybe she has had issues for a long time. But she has *anger* and it came from someone. It's not unexpected that she sees Robert as just one in the same and her constant needling is defensive.

Tom has gone beyond her, but somewhere understands why she sees things the way she does. He does not see Robert as she does but knows he'll never convince her.

People are the result of what came before.
Somehow I missed this reply earlier. You have a very good point. We have no idea where Miss Bunting's animosity came from. It could be from her education and review of history (it seems to make activists out of college students), or it could be something more personal. Overall I didn't hate her. I just didn't think she respected Tom because she continually started fights with Robert and others with her views. It's one thing to gather in groups of protest and rail against the system. Quite another to do so as an invited guest in the home of the man you purport to love.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
l

The writing has always been bad, it's a shame as they could have much more happening, something seems to start off interesting then comes to a stop and turns boring , some people on here have better ideas than the writers.
I don't know if that's just the way of British shows to move so slowly and subtly or if it's because the show became so unexpectedly popular and the pressure was on to stretch the story more, but there are problems with the writing for sure. The main problem I have with the slow style of writing is that the seasons are so very short and nothing gets resolved.

What they've done to Barrow in the last two seasons is horrible. Why is he always plotting or trying to get the dirt on everyone? It never seems to be explained. Even when he has the dirt he doesn't try to blackmail people, so what's the point? It's just a holdover from the plotting between him and O'Brien. I liked Barrow in Season 2, but then they had to go ruin him in 3. Maybe they're leading to something interesting with the treatment to cure homosexuality, but even that's being put far on the backburner and he's still his nasty self.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Maybe not ruined, but tainted, at least. Back in season 1 she probably could have claimed rape for the Pamuk incident, but she'd still be seen as less of a victim and been "asking for it." Even in Edith's situation, she'd be looked down on for having a baby out of wedlock with a married man, while Gregson (if he was still around) probably wouldn't be turned into a social pariah for his role in the matter. Women are supposed to be pure and unsexual, you know.

Yeah, he's doing fine, and maybe he likes the work better. Still, he left a wildly high-profile and popular show at the height of its popularity and he'd didn't become the next Cumberbatch. From an outside perspective it does make you wonder if it was a David Caruso-esque career blunder.
Thank you! You said it much better than I.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:06 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,271,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't know if that's just the way of British shows to move so slowly and subtly or if it's because the show became so unexpectedly popular and the pressure was on to stretch the story more, but there are problems with the writing for sure. The main problem I have with the slow style of writing is that the seasons are so very short and nothing gets resolved.

What they've done to Barrow in the last two seasons is horrible. Why is he always plotting or trying to get the dirt on everyone? It never seems to be explained. Even when he has the dirt he doesn't try to blackmail people, so what's the point? It's just a holdover from the plotting between him and O'Brien. I liked Barrow in Season 2, but then they had to go ruin him in 3. Maybe they're leading to something interesting with the treatment to cure homosexuality, but even that's being put far on the backburner and he's still his nasty self.
Barrow is an unloved, no self-esteem, nasty piece of work. Totally lacking in any grace. He hates himself so does nothing but try to learn secrets about others to use as blackmail. You don't call what he was doing to Baxter blackmail? No other word for it.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:37 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,788,892 times
Quote:
Thank you! You said it much better than I.
Regarding Dan Stevens, I agree with you and fleetiebelle. Many pages ago, when Dan Stevens announced his departure, I referenced the NYPD Caruso mistake. Like George Clooney and David Caruso, it took time for them to find their big breakout role, but in this instance, Dan Stevens could have done his Broadway show(which was a limited engagement) and other acting roles in films, while still remaining in the Dowton Abbey cast. The other cast members don't sit around until D/A starts filming again. It's a very short season. If anyone recalls other Masterpiece hits of the past, you'll notice that most of them, pre-1990s, had at least twice as many episodes per season. How many episodes werer in Jewel in the Crown?

Old 02-07-2015, 05:20 PM

42,045 posts, read 75,496,869 times
Quote:
Barrow has been a piece of work since Day One. Perhaps you don't recall how he tripped Bates while the family and servants were receiving guests, or how he tried to frame Bates multiple times? Or his failed attempt to make money on the black market just before the war ended?

And then he'll turn around and do something selfless, like come to Jimmy's defense in a fight. His (mostly) bad boy/good boy actions perfectly illustrate the conflict within himself.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:35 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,327,240 times
Quote:
Somehow I missed this reply earlier. You have a very good point. We have no idea where Miss Bunting's animosity came from. It could be from her education and review of history (it seems to make activists out of college students), or it could be something more personal. Overall I didn't hate her. I just didn't think she respected Tom because she continually started fights with Robert and others with her views. It's one thing to gather in groups of protest and rail against the system. Quite another to do so as an invited guest in the home of the man you purport to love.
I know what you mean but there are people who are just clueless, or so deeply emeshed in their own view they don't notice the subject has long been exhausted. A couple of frequent attendees to on scifi convention I used to never miss (still would go but its a long trip to California and back over the holidays). These two were 'strict' libertarians. They could argue and argue and argue even though everyone had had their say and nobody was going to change their mind. It got tiresome after awhile. You'd think they'd come for the weekend to argue political theory over just having lots of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV