Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 03:40 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,280,710 times

Advertisements

Mary's future lies at Downton Abbey, since she owns half of it and George is the heir. If she marries, her husband likely would move in.

Edith and Rose, however, ultimately would move out, whether to marry or to move to London to run a newspaper or whatever, with or without Marigold. The problem with that is that if they move out of Downton Abbey, they pretty much have to leave the show. So, as long as Edith and Rose are part of the story, they'll have to live at Downton Abbey and have their lives unfulfilled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 03:41 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,301,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Sadly, this is still true in many parts of the world. They can not only be ruined, but murdered by their families for "dishonoring" them.
Only if they are Muslim I think. Don't think any other "culture" does that.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:03 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,189,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Back then, a woman who was raped was considered ruined no matter what the circumstances were.
Would that seriously be true of even the aristocracy? Had Lady Mary, for instance, have been raped, would she have been considered ruined?

Old 02-06-2015, 11:44 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,589,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Just because I haven't seen them doesn't mean they're not doing anything else, but the only actors from this show I have seen in movies are still on the show (Lady Mary and Violet).
Lily James (Rose) plays Cinderella in Disney's latest blockbuster version of that story. It's a huge deal and most likely will be the role that makes her career.
Sophie McShera (Daisy) plays Cinderella's wicked stepsister.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:11 AM

1,137 posts, read 3,369,033 times
Default omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

You are shockingly right. Never thought w that twist. Very scary & disrespectful religion.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:18 AM

11,678 posts, read 12,825,095 times
"Daisy" and "Robert" were on Galavant.

Dan Stevens is doing just fine. He has an apartment in NYC and locals have spotted him all over town. He had a successful run on Broadway after leaving D/A and has done a bunch of Indie films. He also had a small part in the newest Night At the Museum movie.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:18 AM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Lily James (Rose) plays Cinderella in Disney's latest blockbuster version of that story. It's a huge deal and most likely will be the role that makes her career.
Sophie McShera (Daisy) plays Cinderella's wicked stepsister.
I'm pretty sure that 'daisy' was in Galavant as well, one of the two surviving servants. We also had Roberts alter ego as a pirate which was cool.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
You are shockingly right. Never thought w that twist. Very scary & disrespectful religion.
"Honor killings" are and have been long practiced in many cultures. Let's keep this forum free of politics, please.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What I meant by the rape comment was that if it turned out the husband killed Greene because he raped his wife, not too many police would be upset by it. Wouldn't it be considered a crime of passion?
The situation presented by the writers was that Anna was concerned that her husband would react violently and the police would hold his previous record against him. The exact same situation could easily happen today in the UK and US.

"Crime of passion" doesn't apply at all, that's only when something happens immediately in the heat of the moment, when the perpetrator is so shocked and caught up emotionally in the moment that s/he doesn't have time to cool off or consider consequences, and there is no premeditation. If Bates did kill Greene, premeditation was involved and the interval between the rape and the killing was long enough to negate any legal definition of "crime of passion".

Old 02-07-2015, 02:09 AM

21,571 posts, read 10,691,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The situation presented by the writers was that Anna was concerned that her husband would react violently and the police would hold his previous record against him. The exact same situation could easily happen today in the UK and US.

"Crime of passion" doesn't apply at all, that's only when something happens immediately in the heat of the moment, when the perpetrator is so shocked and caught up emotionally in the moment that s/he doesn't have time to cool off or consider consequences, and there is no premeditation. If Bates did kill Greene, premeditation was involved and the interval between the rape and the killing was long enough to negate any legal definition of "crime of passion".
Thanks for the clarification. I knew when I wrote it it wasn't really the term I was looking for, but I don't know what is. I was meaning wouldn't it be considered as a justifiable reaction to the rape of his wife? I'm sure they don't like vigilante justice, but the man could maybe be considered temporarily insane. I would take into consideration if I were on the jury, and an all male jury in those days probably would sympathize. Again, I'm thinking like an American with no understanding of the British mindset at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV