Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 01:56 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,866,536 times

Advertisements

It's been over ten years and no one looks any older. That may be the best things about DA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 03:21 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,276,989 times
Thomas has almost been out the door on several occasions, but something always happens to put him back into good graces, e.g. Robert finding out that he had searched for the lost Isis all night (even though he didn't find her and was the one who left her in the woods in the first place), his cricket-playing abilities and the need for him to fill out the House roster, and saving Edith from the fire. He deserved to have been fired years ago but kept getting lucky at the right times.

Also, it was O'Brien who knocked Bates' cane out from under him, making him fall.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:28 PM

21,528 posts, read 10,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Oh, I gotta disagree.
End of Season 1, Carson and Lord Grantham agree to fire Thomas.
Before they could do that, Barrow asked Dr Clarkson about joining the army medical corp to train as a medic, which will also keep him out of active military service.
He finds himself on the Front anyway in Season 2.
Then he intentionally holds a lighter above the trench wall so his hand gets shot.
Who could blame him. Trench warfare was horrible, and he didn't want to go in the first place. He only signed up as a medic because he would have been drafted anyway. He's not an honorable person, but I guess he never pretended to be. Didn't he end up saving Matthew's life? Or someone's anyway. I can't seem to recall.

I was really saying how good he was on his return, helping in the hospital when the Spanish flu hit. It's been a whe since I saw it though. Maybe he wasn't as nice as I remember. I should probably rewatch those old episodes.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:58 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,981,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Thomas has almost been out the door on several occasions, but something always happens to put him back into good graces, e.g. Robert finding out that he had searched for the lost Isis all night (even though he didn't find her and was the one who left her in the woods in the first place), his cricket-playing abilities and the need for him to fill out the House roster, and saving Edith from the fire. He deserved to have been fired years ago but kept getting lucky at the right times.

Also, it was O'Brien who knocked Bates' cane out from under him, making him fall.

I'm pretty certain it was Thomas who kicked Bate's cane out from underneath him when all the staff were standing in the courtyard awaiting someone's (forgot who it was) arrival.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,478,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
[/b]I'm pretty certain it was Thomas who kicked Bate's cane out from underneath him when all the staff were standing in the courtyard awaiting someone's (forgot who it was) arrival.
I thought it was too! Especially since Barrow wanted that job!

But according to the Downton Wiki ...
"Footman Thomas was hoping to be promoted to valet himself and is personally offended to lose the job to "Long John Silver". Most of the staff gives him the cold shoulder, while Thomas and O'Brien try to get rid of him to further their own ends. O'Brien knocks his cane away when he is standing in a receiving line to greet guests arriving. Bates falls flat on his face in front of the Duke of Crowborough."

Old 02-08-2015, 05:18 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,793,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
[/b]

I'm pretty certain it was Thomas who kicked Bate's cane out from underneath him when all the staff were standing in the courtyard awaiting someone's (forgot who it was) arrival.
Ummm, no, I just watched that episode and looked at that part 2 times: it was definitely O'Brien who did it, and then she looked at Barrow with a smirk. It goes by so fast, which is why I backed up to see it again.

NCDave is right on this one.

A lot of people aren't remembering things correctly, and I was one of those. That's why I went back and watched all 4 seasons in a glorious bit of bingeing on DA. It took me about four days to watch those four seasons

Old 02-08-2015, 05:23 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,243,739 times
Were other aristocratic families as tolerant as the Granthams seem to be? They put up with Bates who is handicapped, was in prison, and keeps getting investigated for a murder. They put up with a ex con ladies maid, a homosexual footman, a lower class Irish son in law, an illiterate cook, and I'll bet before this season is over they will be putting up with an illegitimate grandchild.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:47 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,276,989 times
The cane knocking was in Season 1, Episode 1. Thomas had summoned the Duke of Crowborough, his former lover, to Downton because Lady Mary was available again after the death of Patrick. The Duke rejected Mary after finding out she wouldn't inherit the estate--he had to marry an heiress. The Duke also came to retrieve some letters he had written to Thomas so that Thomas couldn't use them to blackmail him. Good thing for the Duke since Thomas threatened to do just that before he discovered that the Duke had found the letters and threw them into the fireplace.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:08 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,533,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post

Anybody else have any ideas on who done it?
I'll take the easy way out and guess it's someone we don't know, a woman Greene raped in the past, before Anna.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:39 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,855,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'll take the easy way out and guess it's someone we don't know, a woman Greene raped in the past, before Anna.

How about "quite " Mr Carlson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV