Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 01:11 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,189,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Bates was concerned that the ticket agent WOULD remember that he sold Bates a ticket, which would be evidence that Bates went to London that day.
Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly. But still... What ticket agent is going to remember selling a ticket to a particular person to a particular place on a particular date three days after it happened? I think that's just really illogical to even write into the script.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 01:13 PM

29,807 posts, read 34,675,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly. But still... What ticket agent is going to remember selling a ticket to a particular person to a particular place on a particular date three days after it happened? I think that's just really illogical to even write into the script.
This whole prolonged murder investigation has been highly illogical. Shouldn't Scotland Yard have better things to do than going to Yorkshire every other day to speak to ladies' maids about an apparent accident from a year ago?

Old 02-09-2015, 01:16 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,189,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Was that child Marigold on drugs? No child whisked away from their mother would have been so silent and still. Totally unbelievable. Edith may be her mother but Marigold thinks Mrs D is. How could she be so easily persuaded to go with Edith, when she never even took her anywhere away from her home before?
I don't think going with Edith would have been all that upsetting to Marigold in and of itself. It's not as if Edith were a stranger to her. She probably feels comfortable with Edit and senses that Edith loved her. Seeing Mrs. Drew so upset would have probably been more upsetting to Marigold than anything else. That would have possibly given Marigold a clue that something was not right.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:21 PM

3,922 posts, read 4,592,198 times
Default Sooo...

I just recently started looking at this thread because I didn't want ANY spoilers until hubby and I watched the whole series, and we did thanks to Netflix. Hubby was game because we had recently binge watched Breaking Bad and I said I needed something... "nicer" to recover from that, and had heard from a friend that Downton was enjoyable.

We started watching it in December, and got hooked, loving the show. Hubs is from England, and I spent a little time over there so it was cool seeing all that Englishy stuff! He also had a great aunt that was really old school and had a son who at one time was "Footman to the Queen". This was told to me by her in her most "Dowager Violet" type of voice! Lol!!

Anyway, I'm so used to renting shows from Netflix way after the series has ended, but reading this thread I realized that the last season is showing right now in the U.S. on PBS, and many of you writing are posting after seeing each episode!

I came here to "express" about the finale, but I'll be quiet and enjoy reading the speculations of what will happen until March. (even though there are plenty of posts with spoilers in them from others who may have seen it in England or rented through Netflix etc.) I'm also enjoying reading some of the details many have observed that I missed. Good eye!

BTW, one byproduct of watching Downton is I'm suddenly aware of how much I've fallen into today's social acceptance of flinging swear words around. (especially since I never swore like a sailor when I was younger!) Lol! I told my husband the other night that, as an experiment, I'm going to swear off swearing! It's really really hard!!

Old 02-09-2015, 01:38 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,497,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I came here to "express" about the finale, but I'll be quiet and enjoy reading the speculations of what will happen until March.
You can "express" about the finale here ...
Downton SPOILER thread
That thread is for discussing what hasn't been shown in the US yet.
I pretend that thread has the plague and stay away from it, LOL

Welcome

Old 02-09-2015, 01:55 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,168,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Edith has been dumped on the entire series. Poor, hapless, Edith. Unlucky in everything she does because she's the ugly sister...

Yes, she has clearly shown herself to be the smartest in the family and in many ways, the most modern and willing to take risks. She is probably most prepared to become an independent woman able to support herself and her daughter. I think showing that has been in the works for the past season or two, especially when Gregson signed over his Powers of Attorney to her.
I've referred to her as Edith the Downtrodden since the beginning of the show, which always makes my husband laugh.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:12 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,168,666 times
There's an amusing recap of the last episode at the link below. Don't read it if you haven't seen the episode yet! Spoilers!

‘Downton Abbey’ recap: Edith makes her move and Mary is so, so cold - The Washington Post

They also have other Season 5 episode recaps.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:55 PM

6,544 posts, read 6,764,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
The problem with this is - Green was overheard saying "What are you doing here?". (That statement is the whole flimsy reason for the police to investigate)

If it had been Lord Tony ... Greene would have said, "My Lord, you surprised me. What can I do for you?"

IMO
Can someone refresh my poor memory? What was the significance of the question, "What are YOU doing here?" Who heard Green say this and what does it have to do with the murder?

Old 02-09-2015, 03:02 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,821,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylilyDee View Post
In one of the previous episodes there was a very quick shot of Anna walking on the street in London. She pauses at a specific spot and looks out into the road for a moment, then walks on. Right behind her is a man, presumably a detective or cop, though I'm not sure. Based on her pause at that spot, my guess is that it is Anna who killed Mr. Greene.
He's doing the investigating. He was outside Gillingham's home when Anna arrived there to deliver a message to meet Mary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
On the one hand, good for Edith, but on the other, what does she know about being a parent? Marigold's going to need a diaper change sooner or later, and there's no staff to help Mama E on that one.

A couple of weeks ago, didn't it seem like there was going to be drama with Gillingham not taking Mary's breakup very well? No it's all bygones and everything's back as it was.
By time Marigold needs a diaper change the season will be over. By time season 6 starts, she'll be done with potty training. It the 'Fellowes timeline' to which we all consent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I came here to "express" about the finale, but I'll be quiet and enjoy reading the speculations of what will happen until March. (even though there are plenty of posts with spoilers in them from others who may have seen it in England or rented through Netflix etc.) I'm also enjoying reading some of the details many have observed that I missed. Good eye!
Yes, Podo... some have seen the entire season. It's sometimes difficult to hold in the spoilers and a few posts have been deleted as such. But every Sunday night I settle in to watch tonight's 'new' episode. Really looking forward to Season 6.

Podo, did you see Season on Netflix? British? or some other method?

Old 02-09-2015, 03:04 PM

11,184 posts, read 6,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
We haven't heard "Elsie" so much, we've learned a lot about "Cheerful Charlie!"
Thanks.

They'll have to get married next year. When Carson proposes and Mrs. Hughes accepts, I hope they're informal enough to use each other's 1st names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV