Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 04:23 PM

21,495 posts, read 10,617,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
Is Sarah Bunting gone? Really gone? I hope so! Bring in another love interest for Tom. I'm tired of seeing him moping around the Abbey feeling like he doesn't know where he belongs. Sybil's been dead for 3-4 tears, time to move on already.
Edith should just take Marigold and go to London, make up some story.
Cora is such an airhead. Of course your husband is going to be upset finding smother man in your bedroom. She acted confused that he wasn't talking to her at the party. Duh!
Scotland Yard is sure going to great lengths to find out if there was foul play in Greenes death. In reality ,in that time period , I don't think anybody would really care about the death of a valet.
I do not like Sarah Bunting! How many times did he ask her not to make trouble with Robert, and she always did anyway? And how many times did he tell her he loves the family, and she continues trying to get him to hate them? She is not a woman who respects Tom for what he has become, or what he has to deal with being a son-in-law of an earl, as well as his factor. I don't think I'd like any man who tried to annoy my boss and family member at every turn.

I don't understand why Edith can't just move with the child to America and pretend she's a widow. I guess she would still be moving in the rarified circles of the American elite, who could easily find out the lie. On the other hand, she could become a career woman in New York City, possibly an author or journalist since she likes that stuff. No need to become entangled with the American blue bloods at all.

Cora was in the bedroom fully clothed, and explained to Robert that he came in uninvited. I don't think she was confused that Robert wasn't talking to her, though she has every right to be pissed at him. He probably has had numerous affairs, he married her for her money and then lost it all through his incompetence, and he's been a royal jerk to her forever, so he can bloody well deal with the fact that there is someone else who has a crush on Cora. Maybe after he gets over the embarrassment and guilt of having someone point out how he's ignored Cora, he'll realize what a jerk he's being.

The situation with Greene is exactly why people should report rapes when they happen (though I realize it is more complicated in this situation). Had the police been aware of the original offense, there is no way they would have convicted Bates of murder, even if he was an ex-convict. At least not in the United States. Maybe it would be different in England?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 04:42 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,238,955 times
I thought Cora was in her nightgown and robe when Bricked came in.

What do you mean if the rape had been reported, Bates would not have been convicted of murder? He hasn't even been charged. If you mean the murder of his ex-wife, that has nothing to do with the present.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Edith isn't going to let that happen. Edith is going to risk reputation and family for her. She has London and working at the magazine and caring for her own daughter as an out, and she doesn't care about what anyone thinks. Little Marigold will be well loved, perhaps smootered with so much love from a mother who makes her the sole family she honors.

I still wonder why they keep Green's death in the story line but am sure its not just to drag it out. There is some other suprise about it they haven't found yet.
I keep thinking it's going to turn out that Miss Hughes did it. Of course, that's probably crazy. It sure appeared that Bates had the means and the ability to do it, but I keep thinking that's too obvious. Then again, Miss Hughes was probably busy with the party/wedding or whatever was going on that day (I forget).

Old 02-05-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

What do you mean if the rape had been reported, Bates would not have been convicted of murder? He hasn't even been charged. If you mean the murder of his ex-wife, that has nothing to do with the present.
Maybe it was a robe. It's so hard to tell with all the garb the ladies wore back then. What I meant by the rape comment was that if it turned out the husband killed Greene because he raped his wife, not too many police would be upset by it. Wouldn't it be considered a crime of passion? I only mention it because my great-great grandfather was tried and acquitted of murder when he tracked down and killed the ranch hand who ran off with my great-great grandmother. The jury (all men of course) not only acquitted him, they pooled their money together to pay for the defense. And that guy didn't even rape the woman, just ran off with her. Of course, that was in the Oklahoma/Texas Panhandle region in the late 1800's, so maybe attitudes were different.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Oh, and I think his previous murder has everything to do with why Anna didn't tell him about the rape in the first place. She knew he'd kill Greene and then possibly be hanged. I still think some leeway would be given for murdering his wife's rapist, but perhaps not. And certainly Anna wouldn't want to take that risk.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:52 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,238,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Maybe it was a robe. It's so hard to tell with all the garb the ladies wore back then. What I meant by the rape comment was that if it turned out the husband killed Greene because he raped his wife, not too many police would be upset by it. Wouldn't it be considered a crime of passion? I only mention it because my great-great grandfather was tried and acquitted of murder when he tracked down and killed the ranch hand who ran off with my great-great grandmother. The jury (all men of course) not only acquitted him, they pooled their money together to pay for the defense. And that guy didn't even rape the woman, just ran off with her. Of course, that was in the Oklahoma/Texas Panhandle region in the late 1800's, so maybe attitudes were different.
Oh, I think the police would be upset no matter if Anna had reported it. Unfortunately women who report rape end up having to defend themselves. Still do sometimes. Keep in mind this is England, not the US. They think/thought differently than Americans.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:59 PM

I was thinking about something. Why does Miss Bunting hate Lord Grantham anyway? He's not a cruel person that I can tell. He seems to genuinely care what happens to the villagers, and he feels responsibility towards the servants and giving them an ability to make a living. I can understand disliking the class system, and certainly a cruel landlord who is cheating the tenants and/or evicting them at a whim, but Robert isn't like that. I don't understand the aggressive hatred she has for him.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Oh, I think the police would be upset no matter if Anna had reported it. Unfortunately women who report rape end up having to defend themselves. Still do sometimes. Keep in mind this is England, not the US. They think/thought differently than Americans.
I wonder if it was so very different considering Bates felt the need to avenge his wife (maybe?). It probably would have been hard to prove though.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:03 PM

28,130 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I was thinking about something. Why does Miss Bunting hate Lord Grantham anyway? He's not a cruel person that I can tell. He seems to genuinely care what happens to the villagers, and he feels responsibility towards the servants and giving them an ability to make a living. I can understand disliking the class system, and certainly a cruel landlord who is cheating the tenants and/or evicting them at a whim, but Robert isn't like that. I don't understand the aggressive hatred she has for him.
That's how bigots operate, katygirl. They stereotype. If she doesn't like the class system, she's incapable seeing anything about Robert other than that he's an aristocrat.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:06 PM

28,130 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I think she's quite lovely, both as Lady Mary and as herself. However, Lady Mary's personality isn't particularly lovely. I think these photos (especially the one at the bottom) of Ms Dockery are beautiful.
I wouldn't say she is actually unattractive, but she just doesn't strike me as someone I'd call beautiful. Different tastes, I guess.

Quote:
I consider her "flat" sound just part of her pretentious character. It's her physical mannerisms that drive me crazy---like when she speaks, she tilts her head down so that her eyes have to look upward. She does that CONSTANTLY.
Maybe it's just the character, but to me, the mannerisms are just not very realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Lady Mary is far too pale and skinny for my tastes. She looks like a stick figure. This is not attractive. I think she's pretty, just not overwhelmingly so. Her personality is incredibly stiff and lifeless IMO, as if she's void of emotion. She's about as full of life as a porcelain doll.
Yeah, I'm with you.

Quote:
Elizabeth McGovern plays her role well. She doesn't generate the same power in her role as does Raquel Cassidy who plays Baxter.
To me, she generates no power in her role.

Quote:
I really admire Baxter. She is just as majestic, full of character and class, as any character.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV