Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 09:25 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
My wife thinks I'm hot for Mary. She keeps things spicy.
If she's right, you've got lousy taste. Seriously, do men really find her attractive? I'm not just talking about Lady Mary, but Michelle Dockery. As a woman, I can't understand why they would.

And is it just me, or is Elizabeth McGovern really as bad an actress as I think she is? Everything she says sounds flat and rehearsed. It drives me crazy.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-04-2015 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 10:25 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If she's right, you've got lousy taste. Seriously, do men really find her attractive? I'm not just talking about Lady Mary, but Michelle Dockery. As a woman, I can't understand why they would.
I think she's quite lovely, both as Lady Mary and as herself. However, Lady Mary's personality isn't particularly lovely. I think these photos (especially the one at the bottom) of Ms Dockery are beautiful.
Michelle Dockery Archive - SAWFIRST | Hot Celebrity Pictures

Quote:
And is it just me, or is Elizabeth McGovern really as bad an actress as I think she is? Everything she says sounds flat and rehearsed. It drives me crazy.
I consider her "flat" sound just part of her pretentious character. It's her physical mannerisms that drive me crazy---like when she speaks, she tilts her head down so that her eyes have to look upward. She does that CONSTANTLY.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:55 PM

888 posts, read 454,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I suspect she will play a part in giving Daisy a chance to leave service since she knows how intelligent and dedicated to learning she is. She was very proud of Daisy and she was a kind of personal project as well.
Perhaps, although I wonder if Daisy learning some math will give her the confidence to leave service to run the farm of the father of her late husband. This may be how Daisy exits Downton at the end of Season 6. By chance, is the farm anywhere near where Miss Bunting is going?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:05 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I think she's quite lovely, both as Lady Mary and as herself. However, Lady Mary's personality isn't particularly lovely. I think these photos (especially the one at the bottom) of Ms Dockery are beautiful.
Michelle Dockery Archive - SAWFIRST | Hot Celebrity Pictures

I consider her "flat" sound just part of her pretentious character. It's her physical mannerisms that drive me crazy---like when she speaks, she tilts her head down so that her eyes have to look upward. She does that CONSTANTLY.
Lady Mary is far too pale and skinny for my tastes. She looks like a stick figure. This is not attractive. I think she's pretty, just not overwhelmingly so. Her personality is incredibly stiff and lifeless IMO, as if she's void of emotion. She's about as full of life as a porcelain doll.

Elizabeth McGovern plays her role well. She doesn't generate the same power in her role as does Raquel Cassidy who plays Baxter. I really admire Baxter. She is just as majestic, full of character and class, as any character.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:24 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Elizabeth McGovern plays her role well. She doesn't generate the same power in her role as does Raquel Cassidy who plays Baxter. I really admire Baxter. She is just as majestic, full of character and class, as any character.
McGovern perfectly creates and plays her character - warts and all - and it works.
Baxter grows on me, every week. She's like the Nanny McPhee character in that her unattractive features are gradually disappearing.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:51 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Lady Mary is far too pale and skinny for my tastes. She looks like a stick figure. This is not attractive. I think she's pretty, just not overwhelmingly so. Her personality is incredibly stiff and lifeless IMO, as if she's void of emotion. She's about as full of life as a porcelain doll.

But Lady Mary is acting as she would have been raised to. She wouldn't have a tan and slender was reserved was as expected. Being the oldest daughter, she would have had more pressure on her to keep up standards. Young women were to be well groomed, polite, and not stand out. Young women of the upper classes were supposed to be porcelain dolls.

I like how Elizabeth McGovern plays Cora. She can play the part but she clearly didn't grow up in their world and if she wants to will let it show.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I suspect she will play a part in giving Daisy a chance to leave service since she knows how intelligent and dedicated to learning she is. She was very proud of Daisy and she was a kind of personal project as well.

However she comes back she will continue to be an antagonist. She does it so well.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:04 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
I was setting up the dvr for the next few days, and checked for a few things not on the list and came upon Dish's description of Sunday's show. Ohhhhh now I can't wait. And the British baking show is on before on our pbs station.

I'll be planted in my chair and have fed the critters so there will be NO distractions...

Old 02-05-2015, 09:52 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,265,165 times
Violet respects the sanctity of marriage. Is she looking for the princess to help reunite her with the prince, or is she trying to verify that she is dead so that the prince is free for other things?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:14 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,637 times
Being pale & pasty in those days was a sign you were wealthy , Rosey cheeks were a sign you worked outside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV