Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 10:24 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the Mary/Tony storyline is really very ho-hum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 11:45 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,124 times
This coming Sundays looks very interesting

Old 01-14-2015, 06:36 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I am getting tired of the Branson character's "lefty Hamlet" schtick. He needs to get off the fence.
Lord Grantham is a stuffy reactionary in some ways, but he was dead on criticizing Branson's support for revolution. By 1924, the time of the present season, millions were dying in Russia under that revolution and he was right to call Branson out on that.
I think that teacher is rude. Going to someone's home and spouting off your contrarian views at the dinner table is bad manners.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:53 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Lord Grantham is a stuffy reactionary in some ways, but he was dead on criticizing Branson's support for revolution. By 1924, the time of the present season, millions were dying in Russia under that revolution and he was right to call Branson out on that.
I think that teacher is rude. Going to someone's home and spouting off your contrarian views at the dinner table is bad manners.
I'll give Branson credit for thinking outside the 'downstairs' box. He's from Ireland and landed on a farm driving a car. He probably knows very few people outside his employment circle. Your right about the teacher. Even I would know better than to act as she does. But she must be somewhat educated and it appears she gets around. Her sphere of influence is much wider than Branson's.

And the Earl Daddy would be wise to take Branson around town... London that is, to meet some people of influence who could assist in allowing Branson to absorb some other worldly concepts. Branson is the father of his oldest grandchild though Earl doesn't often give him credit.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:21 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post

Agreed. Bad manners in any generation.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:35 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Default Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Charles and Mary had possibility as an interesting couple; Tony and Mary are snoozeworthy. I think Mary chose Tony because he seems safe, conventional, totally of her world. Hope she comes to her senses and gives Charles another chance.
Mary and Charles makes a much more interesting couple. She needs someone a little more her speed and Charles is a much better match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Funny how the main characters don't seem to have aged over 10+ years!
I noticed the same thing. The girls (Mary and Edith) still look very young and they are supposed to be in their 30's by now.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:20 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I agree with you about Tony, and Charles seems to be more Mary's type because he won't grow stodgy with age and seems to have a sense of fun and spontaneity. There is something creepy about Tony setting up a hotel rendezvous for the express purpose of having sex - everything is planned and that kind of takes the romance away. It's not like they were lovers already and planning a trip. This is like a planned booty call.
I agree -- no romance at all. But what's weird, is it's exactly what Mary wanted -- a way to "test" things before agreeing to marry. She said as much to Anna… almost as if Anna said something to Bates who said something to Tony… Also, have we even seen Mary and Tony in a passionate kiss?? That would go a long way to test if someone "lights your fire".

Quote:
I used to have trouble telling the difference between Tony and Charles because physically they look like the same but personality-wise they are worlds apart.
I STILL get them mixed up!!

Old 01-15-2015, 05:27 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
...I noticed the same thing. The girls (Mary and Edith) still look very young and they are supposed to be in their 30's by now.
In their 30s? I thought this couldn't possibly be right… but it is! Mary started the series at 21 and should be 33 by now. My how time flies! But you're right, she still looks the same age. I do think that the dowager sounds a little different. Not sure if it's Maggie Smith's voice changing, or if it's acting!

Did characters age convincingly? -- article with side by side photos. (no spoilers).

Old 01-15-2015, 05:29 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
[/b]
Agreed. Bad manners in any generation.

I agree and did you all catch what she said to that woman ? the woman said something about being terrible with numbers ,math and the teacher said what I found to be rude . Im really surprised the Earl did not ask her to leave as well . we had a girl come to our table when my brother was dating and she belched really loud and said nothing . my mother took my brother in the kitchen and I imagine gave him the 911 on that girl and we never saw her again at our table or dating our brother . but yes bad manners in any generation or year .

Old 01-15-2015, 06:10 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I agree and did you all catch what she said to that woman ? the woman said something about being terrible with numbers ,math and the teacher said what I found to be rude . Im really surprised the Earl did not ask her to leave as well . we had a girl come to our table when my brother was dating and she belched really loud and said nothing . my mother took my brother in the kitchen and I imagine gave him the 911 on that girl and we never saw her again at our table or dating our brother . but yes bad manners in any generation or year .

I actually dislike almost everything about her, the teacher... her voice, what comes out of her mouth and even how she presents herself physically. It's all way too aggressive. She is beyond assertive and is just plain old aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV