Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 08:15 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,271,058 times

Advertisements

The first season they had a male dog named Pharaoh, but the dog that played him didn't get along with Lady Carnarvon's dogs and was replaced by the female dog playing Isis.

Matthew inherited a fortune from Lavinia Swire's father and gave it to Robert to save Downton from bankruptcy. Robert gave him half ownership in Downton in return. Mary inherited Matthew's share. Whoever inherits Robert's title will inherit his share, and that currently is George.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 08:32 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,614,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
When the fire was discovered and Robert was racing down the halls he told one of the folks "Get the dog." I really liked that. I feel that way about my pets, too.

I was so glad that she survived the fire; I was afraid they'd find her dead of smoke inhalation. (yes, I know that Isis is a TV character, she wouldn't really have died, but still..)

Old 01-08-2015, 10:07 AM

6,812 posts, read 6,968,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
The first season they had a male dog named Pharaoh, but the dog that played him didn't get along with Lady Carnarvon's dogs and was replaced by the female dog playing Isis.

Matthew inherited a fortune from Lavinia Swire's father and gave it to Robert to save Downton from bankruptcy. Robert gave him half ownership in Downton in return. Mary inherited Matthew's share. Whoever inherits Robert's title will inherit his share, and that currently is George.
Thank you. I had totally forgot about her father's will and the arrangement made with Lord Robert.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,177,688 times
Default Pet Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
When the fire was discovered and Robert was racing down the halls he told one of the folks "Get the dog." I really liked that. I feel that way about my pets, too.
I loved that, too! People who have pets should have a sign/sticker on their door that they have pets in residence, just in case there is an emergency like a fire, emergency responders when entering will be on the lookout. Sometimes people aren't even home, like I read in the news about a cat that was home alone while his owners were out of town. No one would know there was a cat living there if there was no pet sign. I think they give the stickers away at animal shelters, not sure but they do have them somewhere for free or it costs very little.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:48 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,396,500 times
The show started in 1912. The caption at the start of the first episode of this year said it is 1924 so the dog is getting a bit on in age, but some do live to be that old or a bit older.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:17 AM

11,660 posts, read 12,751,726 times
This doctor is a country doctor. If he was a Harley Street doctor and a member of the Royal College of Physicians, he might have had a title of his own.

A servant's status was based on the status of his master and the people that he served. If Violet's butler had served a member of the royal family, a duchess, etc., it would elevate his status. Who wants to serve a bourgeois country doctor? It probably seemed demeaning to him. It is often up to the Butler to maintain standards, even when their master or mistress forgets.

In the US, at least until fairly recently, we put doctors on a pedestal and we did not question their authority too often. In the UK, no matter how educated or intelligent, the nobility viewed doctors from the middle class as another tradesman or at the same level as their "business advisor/accountant" and they were expected to grovel and kow-tow to them like everyone else.

For an excellent look at the British medical profession, watch the mini-series, The Citadel with Ben Cross. When I saw it the first time, it made me very glad that I was never a patient in the UK during the 20s and 30s. I'd sooner have bloodletting performed by Dr. Behenna from Poldark.

Last edited by Coney; 01-09-2015 at 03:34 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 01:52 PM

98 posts, read 208,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Glad no one told Queen Elizabeth she could not be monarch because she is not a man...
While slightly different they did tell her she couldn't be queen if she had a brother, even if her brother was younger. It's why she was known as the heir presumptive rather than the heir apparent. It's also why it was such a big deal when they recently passed a law, just before George was born, changing that and making the firstborn in George's generation heir apparent whether male or female.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,301,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
This doctor is a country doctor. If he was a Harley Street doctor and a member of the Royal College of Physicians, he might have had a title of his own.

A servant's status was based on the status of his master and the people that he served. If Violet's butler had served a member of the royal family, a duchess, etc., it would elevate his status. Who wants to serve a bourgeois country doctor? It probably seemed demeaning to him. It is often up to the Butler to maintain standards, even when their master or mistress forgets.

In the US, at least until fairly recently, we put doctors on a pedestal and we did not question their authority too often. In the UK, no matter how educated or intelligent, the nobility viewed doctors from the middle class as another tradesman or at the same level as their "business advisor/accountant" and they were expected to grovel and kow-tow to them like everyone else.

For an excellent look at the British medical profession, watch the mini-series, The Citadel with Ben Cross. When I saw it the first time, it made me very glad that I was never a patient in the UK during the 20s and 30s. I'd sooner have bloodletting performed by Dr. Behenna from Poldark.
Poldark also included the gap between the officially sanctioned doctors and medicine and the new doctors who embrased new ideas and were considered enough for the pesants, but not others. His friend wasn't welcome in London society either.

When Sybil was dying, remember the local doctor pleaded with Robert to see her, and was convinced that her only chance was to take the baby. The Harley Street doctor didn't agree, and Robert went with status over known experience and new ideas. That he later concluded she'd still have died only made Robert feel marginally better. I think he saw that the local doctor at least wanted to try.

The aristocary tended to view the middle class in general as successful tradesmen, and when things changed were very surprised. I wonder what Robert would have said if someone told him that in less than a century a lad from Liverpool who came from the lower class workmen would stand next to the queen celebrating with full honors.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:34 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,177,688 times
Default Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The show started in 1912. The caption at the start of the first episode of this year said it is 1924 so the dog is getting a bit on in age, but some do live to be that old or a bit older.
I hope she lives for many more years. I don't like too much reality in my TV shows

Old 01-10-2015, 10:00 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,241,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I wonder what Robert would have said if someone told him that in less than a century a lad from Liverpool who came from the lower class workmen would stand next to the queen celebrating with full honors.
Which lad are you speaking of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV