Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 05:22 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,033 posts, read 6,578,332 times

Advertisements

That was so great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 06:15 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,491,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
And for those who thought the above videos were spoilers and didn't watch, they are not.
Thanks, I probably should have noted that.
But I was still laughing when I posted
So many great one-liners.

"Do you have these in a size 13?"

Old 01-05-2015, 06:19 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,632,715 times
Hysterical! I love that they did this. Great sense of humor!

Among the many other outrageous situations, notice Tom curled up on the floor in front of the fireplace in clip two. As if!

Old 01-05-2015, 06:32 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,378,614 times
I loved when Lady Mary said "If we could just learn how to dress ourselves"…. What a ludicrous notion in this day and age - that we would need someone to help us get dressed!

Old 01-05-2015, 06:37 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,820,820 times
Quote:
From Gandalara...
Aftershow interviews - I think the actor that plays Tony is much better looking in 2015 than 90 years ago, LOL.
You can see his 2011 personna in a 2014 movie, 'Weekend', though it's terribly risque and doesn't involve pursuing women. Must be the reason Mary won't marry him...

And yeah, in the interview he did look more like recently. And it did turn out to be a pretty good show.

Quote:
From tmozer...
My father always complained that I slouched at the dinner table. He made me eat with a plastic drinking glass between my back and the chair and I was not allowed to let it slip........ Didn't work.
We had the slouch challenge in our house also but being military discipline, it did work.

About 'Manners', there was a 'reality' show on AcornTV about living in an Edwardian fashion, 'The Edwardian Hountry House'. There was a family and a complement of downstairs staff. All had to live completely as things were in that time. A couple of maids quit in short order but most everyone else made it through okay. By today's standards, it was a bit of a struggle.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:21 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,857,265 times
When I lived in England most people used their grapefruit spoons , thought nothing of it

Old 01-05-2015, 07:25 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,991,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by
About [I
'Manners'[/i], there was a 'reality' show on AcornTV about living in an Edwardian fashion, 'The Edwardian Hountry House'. There was a family and a complement of downstairs staff. All had to live completely as things were in that time. A couple of maids quit in short order but most everyone else made it through okay. By today's standards, it was a bit of a struggle.
That was a great show. I saw it on PBS a few years back. It definitely depicted how things really were back then, and the servants had a tough life. Nothing like what is shown in Downton Abbey!! They were overworked to the point of exhaustion, got very little sleep and the mistress of the house (who was actually a doctor in real life) made some adjustments to their schedule because of her concern for their health. The scullery maids were the ones that couldn't last the length of the documentary and had to be replaced several times.

Info on the series plus an interesting tool that tells you what social position you would hold if you lived in that time (based on your parents occupations) at Manor House. The Project | PBS

If anyone is interested, the series in on youtube.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,453,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
UK DVDs work over here ?
Maybe she owns a dual DVD player - I do, and it wasn't even very expensive. I bought it for the sole purpose of playing various formats of DVDs because that allowed me to buy UK DVDs of some of my favorite shows (for instance Good Night Sweetheart).

Old 01-05-2015, 10:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,344,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Does anyone else think that the jewelry Baxter stole was given/sold to Thomas? (I'm not considering this to be a spoiler since the show has already aired....)
I'm thinking Thomas was not so much out for her but for the jewelry. Now he has it and can its his financial kitty. I would think he might be careful since his confession that he brought Baxter in knowing did not go well, and she now knows that 'someone' else has it. How much does Baxter get out? I'm thinking there will be a discret talk with Robert and Thomas may be looking for new employment. He played it well in that he gently suggested he held their good name in his hands. But he's still taking a great risk.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:53 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,344,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Michael's book found in the library ... At this point, Edith probably realizes Michael isn't coming back.

As for Marigold (love that name!), Edith had placed her with a family in Switzerland, but couldn't bear her being so far away, so she brought her back to live with the farmer's family.

Jimmy? Helpless? Ha, he knew what he was doing.

Every time Thomas does something awful, he counters it with something selfless. I definitely love to hate him.
Edith is the daughter who wasn't really groomed for anything. The best she could do was snag an older man. And then he changes his mind. I think they've more or less made Edith part of the wall paper and don't like how she's acting. Its not following the rules.

The thing with her is she is looking out for herself now. She didn't think of the family in Switzerland, just how much she missed the child. And she can't stay away from the farmer which is creating a questionable situation for both. But that girl is the only thing she has that she feels responsible for. I'll be very interested in the new solution to her seeing her daughter as much as she wants.

I think when she threw the book, accidentally starting the fire, it fully came to her that Michael is gone and probably dead. They'd have heard of the events in Munich too. She never shows her anger and frustration and then when she does she starts a fire...

I said hapless, as in unlucky. Yes, he knows he'd like a guicky, and is not expecting a fire. But he also knows its not anything good for his future. He's the same as the maid who is persued and knows should something happen its automatically her fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV