Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 05:09 PM

26,667 posts, read 28,928,945 times

Advertisements

I watched the Christmas special last night but I think I was still in orbit from all the Christmas food and stress and all. I just didn't get that much out of it and I need to watch it again.

Edyth...........hmmmmm. I am confused.

And, yes, it was great seeing hours of scenes from Downton Abbey on ABC, of all places. THAT was good. People do appreciate good programs after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 08:57 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I watched the Christmas special last night but I think I was still in orbit from all the Christmas food and stress and all. I just didn't get that much out of it and I need to watch it again.

Edyth...........hmmmmm. I am confused.

And, yes, it was great seeing hours of scenes from Downton Abbey on ABC, of all places. THAT was good. People do appreciate good programs after all.
I have to say my favorite part was the old guy who's looking for a suitable wife to make him an heir.

I wonder what Cora would have said about having to do her own laundry...... or better yet Robert. Just imagine her telling him to please put his laundry IN the hamper....

Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,673,235 times
DA starts on PBS on Jan. 5th, I believe. Wonder if the season will so extremely ultra-short like it was last time. That makes people lose interst in it.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:18 PM

32,250 posts, read 27,476,120 times
Just finished season four (DVD sent from England) and unless something changes prolly won't continue making DA "must see TV". It is just becoming so boring and all to jumbled.

Too many things are started then dropped and there is very little detail on other matters. Am tired of seeing the Countess of Grantham's saucer shaped blue eyes from those sideways glances whilst she basically has little else to do or say. You probably could have written that character out of the entire season four series and not have missed much.

Spoiler
The finale "cliff hanger" is yet another DA fantasy as it simply would not have been possible, that is if everything is supposed to point towards "you know who".

Much as one loves the Dowager Countess of Grantham, Dame Maggie is going on and although quick as ever with the remarks/observations she looked a bit poorly in this installment.

Last edited by Beretta; 01-01-2014 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: Please use Show/Hide tags or the Spoiler Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:32 PM

27,073 posts, read 12,016,380 times
My favorite part of last episode/season 4:

Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes holding hands as they enter the water, at seashore. Someone who works in the basement of that place deserves some happiness.

The rest of the episode was not very interesting....

...except for the Dowager and Mrs. Crawley, who ALWAYS play off each other in such a grand and clever way.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Aren't the PBS episodes edited? I seem to remember that came up before. Can you buy an unedited new season version later that works in all the U.S. DVD machines? Not that I want to watch it on DVD before I watch in on PBS next year!
Yes, the DA episodes shown on PBS are edited to fit the USA time slots.

When shown in the UK DA like other programs does not have commercial breaks. In theory neither *should* PBS programming but they do have those ghastly sponsor "commercials" from Ralph Lauren and Norwegian Cruise Lines.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:05 PM

Here is something else not explained in DA. The Countess of Grantham is likely Jewish (her maiden name is Levinson) which would make her daughters so as well though one assumes the first converted to Christianity before her marriage, and the children baptized.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,576,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Aren't the PBS episodes edited? I seem to remember that came up before. Can you buy an unedited new season version later that works in all the U.S. DVD machines? Not that I want to watch it on DVD before I watch in on PBS next year!
I get the UK versions sent to me on DVD by a friend there. She records them off her TV for me. It runs fine on my old DVD player. They do have commercials. They are shown before the show. My British friend edits them out but once she left one in. It was for Darigold butter. There is a difference in sound. The background music on her DVD's is more jarring somehow. It ends abruptly at the end of the scene. I notice on the PBS shows it's sounds softer and sort of fades.

As far as any scene cuts or anything like like that, I don't see any. Since their time slots are different, they might end their scenes at a different point than the versions we watch but we don't miss anything because everything would be included the next showing. Ours run longer than theirs I think.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I get the UK versions sent to me on DVD by a friend there. She records them off her TV for me. It runs fine on my old DVD player. They do have commercials. They are shown before the show. My British friend edits them out but once she left one in. It was for Darigold butter. There is a difference in sound. The background music on her DVD's is more jarring somehow. It ends abruptly at the end of the scene. I notice on the PBS shows it's sounds softer and sort of fades.

As far as any scene cuts or anything like like that, I don't see any. Since their time slots are different, they might end their scenes at a different point than the versions we watch but we don't miss anything because everything would be included the next showing. Ours run longer than theirs I think.
My DVD's are the original boxed sets sold in UK so will have to take your word for the commercials. However what I meant was that unlike American programming where there are regular breaks, British and other EU programs tend to run uninterrupted.

Our DVD player can be programmed (hacked if you will, but really is too easy to call it that) for other regions such as "2" or just non-regional so that is us for you.

Think it is becoming harder to find such things as various media companies want to wring every last cent out of consumers under the guise of copyright protection.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I guess I was just lucky or maybe it's because my DVD player is an oldie but every DVD my UK friend has sent me I have been able to play without any trouble. It's possible that if I had a newer one, I couldn't do that. I remember the old VCR's and the PAL formats for which you had to have a special player to play tapes from overseas. A friend of mine had a Panasonic player that had that.

Of course, they aren't going to sell the boxed sets with commercials included in the shows. But a couple of times my friend left them in her recordings and I thought it was interesting to see what things the Brits had to sell.

I am not getting season four from her because she is very busy in the process of moving and hasn't had time for watching the DA DVD's she's been recording so she will watch it herself when she has the time. And since they recently finished there and will be showing it so soon here, I won't have to wait as long as in the past. The only drawback is, now I can't have my DA marathon all at once.
Rather watch the DVD's because cannot stand the way PBS drags things out. Also quite honestly you can fast forward through no small amount and not miss much! *LOL*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV